Who here has a jeep wrangler...

oldschoolsdime92

As mentioned in the other thread i have a 99TJ and parents have an 04 Rubicon.  Stepbro has a 12 Sahara and had an 08 Rubicon modded to hell. 

Cannot beat them for a summer fun and winter fun vehicle.  Cheap to modify, easy to maintain yourself and keep their value.  Any issue I have run into has been solved via google on a jeep forum.

Nothing beats a top down, doors off cruise in the country or off roading.

• Upvote 1

I have a 97 TJ that I recently traded a sport bike for.   So far, it's been fun (for the 200 miles or so I've put on it).   Looking forward to warmer months with the top and doors off.   My plan is to have fun driving it this summer, make it pretty and then sell it in the fall.

Turns out the t-case in it is all f-'d up, so I'm shopping for a replacement NP-231 or NV-231 now.   I also suspect the syncros in the 5spd are past their expiration date.

Uh.  My daughter does. 96' 223,000 miles, straight 6'er, auto trans. Cherokee old square body style.

I have fixed: Climate control light bulb burnt out, starter shot, battery shot, rear "rear" leaf hangers/shackles had to be replaced, rear brakes had some broken parts, front passenger door handle button was stuck,  Death wobble might be fixed since replacing the front junk tires.

It still needs the oil filter adapter o-ring's replaced and the rear sway bark links replaced.

Had a '98 TJ that was a blast. It was a DD as well as a weekend toy. Just took delivery of this beauty a week and half ago. Already began adding to it with a 2.5" lift next up. We are loading up the kids and heading out to Colorado in it this summer to do some off-roading. As has been stated before, tons of parts, mods and accessories for any budget. They are an incredible amount of fun.

IMG_1936b.JPG

Edited by cmh_sprint
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, cmh_sprint said:

Had a '98 TJ that was a blast. It was a DD as well as a weekend toy. Just took delivery of this beauty a week and half ago. Already began adding to it with a 2.5" lift next up. We are loading up the kids and heading out to Colorado in it this summer to do some off-roading. As has been stated before, tons of parts, mods and accessories for any budget. They are an incredible amount of fun.

IMG_1936b.JPG

Cool, how much for that old beater excursion?

I've always wanted a TJ but never could pull the trigger. If I ever found a smoking deal on a cheap running project I think I would consider it these days since any shred of hope I had at getting my Vette or Firehawk was throw out the window with the twins

24 minutes ago, Bad324 said:

so if one was looking for an under 150k mile TJ that doesn't have rust or frame issues...what's a general price range those would fall in to?

In what southern state are you looking for this unicorn?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, max power said:

In what southern state are you looking for this unicorn?

I didn't mean zero rust...I just meant like horribly rusted out bucket. Really the frame issue matters more than rust. I wouldn't mind trying my hand at learning how to do body work on something like this.  

I'm just wondering if I should replace my ls1 car / Vette dreams with a Wrangler since a) I've always wanted one and 2) it seems to be easier to find a running project much cheaper

They are not much cheaper. Those things hold their value better than Harleys. I never understood the concept of buying such a Spartan vehicle for $20-$30,000 new. 

Back when I had my CJ's, you could get a really nice example for 2500 bucks. Not going to happen today.  These new sissy jeeps have carpet, way less suspension travel (as in none factory) and way more electronic poop to deal with. That new V-6 is no match for the old 258/4.0 in-line six. 

From the factory, they are convertible chick cars with winter driving capability.

If you want to build one for Offroad, plan on sinking a shit load of money into it. You will be in used Corvette territory in no time.

I'm seeing some limited possibilities in the $4-5000 range. It would just be a cruiser for me. The only thing I'd spend money on to upgrade is the sound system. With the two kids coming, it had me thinking if this would be another option down the line to enjoy with them

Edited by Bad324
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, max power said:

They are not much cheaper. Those things hold their value better than Harleys. I never understood the concept of buying such a Spartan vehicle for $20-$30,000 new. 

Back when I had my CJ's, you could get a really nice example for 2500 bucks. Not going to happen today.  These new sissy jeeps have carpet, way less suspension travel (as in none factory) and way more electronic poop to deal with. That new V-6 is no match for the old 258/4.0 in-line six. 

From the factory, they are convertible chick cars with winter driving capability.

If you want to build one for Offroad, plan on sinking a shit load of money into it. You will be in used Corvette territory in no time.

So much false info here... The 4.0L can't hang with the new 3.6L Pentastar in any way. HP, torque, fuel economy, etc. Pentastar is better all around. The new transmissions are better. The metal quality is better (much less rust). Coilovers own leaf spring every day. The front and rear diffs are better. The transfer case is better (both regular and 4:1 Rubi). Everything about the new Jeeps is better than the predecessors. I think you're just getting old and nostalgic, MP. 

• Upvote 1

I was just comparing HP numbers on 258/4.0 vs 3.6 Pentastar. Carbed 258 was 148HP. Newest, fuel injected 258 was 190HP (2006, best year for the motor, and last). The 3.6L Pentastar is 285HP. Just in case anyone was wondering. 

I completely disagree. Coil overs Oversprings maybe but I do believe that the 80s CJ's had coil overs. Engine wise it's no contest. I'll take the old 258/4.0 over any recent Chrysler product any day of the week. Transmission wise, I wouldn't know because I only had manuals. Except that my CJ five was Chevy drivetrain. 383/350 turbo/NP 205

with Dana's front and back. I don't ever remember anyone having an issue with a Dana front or rear end back in the day.

These sad Chrysler built excuses for off-road vehicles with the jeep name slapped on them don't hold a candle to the CJ platform.

4 minutes ago, cmh_sprint said:

You need to do some reading MP. The JK's are pretty capable vehicles. You and BTD must have ate out of the same bowl of cereal that someone pissed in this morning. 

When doesn't BTD eat piss drenched cereal?

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, cmh_sprint said:

You need to do some reading MP. The JK's are pretty capable vehicles. You and BTD must have ate out of the same bowl of cereal that someone pissed in this morning. 

BTD or CSC? 

And yes, the JK is by far the most capable Jeep made to date. I'm a CJ fanboy, but the JK is just awesome. 

PS: Supercharged Pentastar looks insane. You should do it. 

46 minutes ago, Casper said:

BTD or CSC? 

And yes, the JK is by far the most capable Jeep made to date. I'm a CJ fanboy, but the JK is just awesome. 

PS: Supercharged Pentastar looks insane. You should do it. 

D'oh, it was CSC. You donate the funds, I'll donate the test bed. :)

7 hours ago, Bad324 said:

I'm seeing some limited possibilities in the $4-5000 range. It would just be a cruiser for me. The only thing I'd spend money on to upgrade is the sound system. With the two kids coming, it had me thinking if this would be another option down the line to enjoy with them

i've yet to find much decent in that range, unless your shooting for 200k plus miles. I found a 2001 with a little lift and 33s today. 149k, and 8,000. I've yet to find a jeep for sale that is going for the ballpark NADA or KBB price. They are a lot more, in some cases even double. I don't quite understand it. 

44 minutes ago, oldschoolsdime92 said:

i've yet to find much decent in that range, unless your shooting for 200k plus miles. I found a 2001 with a little lift and 33s today. 149k, and 8,000. I've yet to find a jeep for sale that is going for the ballpark NADA or KBB price. They are a lot more, in some cases even double. I don't quite understand it. 

See, that shit is retarded right there. You can call me pissy all you want, there is no 200 k Chrysler on the road worth even close to double NADA. 

And My point about the CJ v TJ, jk or whatever the new unit is called is that an off road vehicle doesn't need big HP #'s, it needs to be reliable and easy to repair on the trail. One of the most capable off road machines ever built is the 118 horse 22R Toyota pickup  

Besides, how many people are stupid enough or can afford to beat the shit out of a 40k jeep off road?  

Jeeps were supposed to be a very Spartan, dirt cheap, easy to repair, go anywhere machine. 

Thats been perverted big time. If you're going to buy a 3.6 jeep, stay away from the 2012.  They puked head gaskets like a freshman girl at a frat party. 

23 minutes ago, max power said:

See, that shit is retarded right there. You can call me pissy all you want, there is no 200 k Chrysler on the road worth even close to double NADA. 

And My point about the CJ v TJ, jk or whatever the new unit is called is that an off road vehicle doesn't need big HP #'s, it needs to be reliable and easy to repair on the trail. One of the most capable off road machines ever built is the 118 horse 22R Toyota pickup  

Besides, how many people are stupid enough or can afford to beat the shit out of a 40k jeep off road?  

Jeeps were supposed to be a very Spartan, dirt cheap, easy to repair, go anywhere machine. 

Thats been perverted big time. If you're going to buy a 3.6 jeep, stay away from the 2012.  They puked head gaskets like a freshman girl at a frat party. 

The only vehicles I've ever had to replace head gaskets on were Toyotas, and I've owned a shit ton of cars. There was a cracking head issue on the 2012s, but Chrysler repairs it free of charge. They even extended the warranty 10yrs/150k miles for impacted Jeeps. You can get a base model Wrangler new for $23k, the same price as a new base model Tacoma 4x4. Jeeps are cool man.