Who here has a jeep wrangler...

oldschoolsdime92

2 hours ago, max power said:

New keeps are cool. For women. 

Wow, same bowl of piss soaked cereal for breakfast again today I see. I guess i need to go buy some skirts for when i'm out wheelin'. 

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, cmh_sprint said:

Wow, same bowl of piss soaked cereal for breakfast again today I see. I guess i need to go buy some skirts for when i'm out wheelin'. 

Don't mind him. He's just old and grumpy. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Bad324 said:

^ :lol: OK, let's compare apples to doorknobs. 

Look, kids, I'm not hating on newer jeeps. I just like the old ones better. Carburetion and less electronic doodads are much better for an off-road machine in my opinion.  Less shit to break. Not 10 grand with 200k miles. 

It's just my opinion. Don't anyone get there feelers hurt because I have a different opinion than you or we're going to have to move this to the politics section. 

I'm not going to apologize for my preference for old jeeps. They're simply easier to work on and cheaper to turn into a reliable Offroad machine.

As someone who's owned a YJ, a TJ, and a JK, plus worked at a stand alone Jeep dealership from 1998 to 2002, here's my thoughts:

YJ: 1990 Wrangler Sahara, 4.2 258, 5 speed. Highly modified suspension and drivetrain. Tons of fun!

Stock form:

scan0030.jpg

Modified:

scan0025.jpg

scan0019.jpg

scan0004.jpg

TJ: 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 4.0 5 speed, also highly modified suspension and drivetrain. More fun and more capable than the YJ.

scan0013.jpg

scan0012.jpg

scan0011.jpg

JK: 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.6 Pentastar, 6 speed standard, completely stock. MUCH more comfortable than the YJ or TJ, not as capable off road with stock suspension. With a small lift and larger tires, would have been MUCH more capable than either previous Jeep.

CIMG0008.jpg

My vote, try to find a standard transmission TJ six cylinder, plan to do some frame repair, and build a fun vehicle dependent on your needs. If summertime cruising with fire roads being your toughest offroading, you don't need lockers and all that jazz.

Of course, if you want to be truly badass, build a one ton drivetrain, sprung over, 4BT, Scrambler. Stick a Blue Heeler in the back that will eat the face off anyone who comes near it, and roll coal on all the Priuses and Teslas. YOLO. Your choice.

2012-05-08_12-22-39_542.jpg

If you've got any questions, PM me. I'm pretty well schooled on 1987 to present day Jeeps, and there is a lot of wrong information in this thread.

Edited by BadTrainDriver
  • Upvote 4

Well I drove the 2000 4 cyl today. I showed up, and it had a 2.5 inch rough country lift. Super clean, but it absolutely would not go over 55 mph. 5th gear was useless. If I shifted into 5th, it actually slowed down bc it didn't have the power to maintain the gearing. Is that normal? 

On March 6, 2016 at 10:16 AM, Isaac's Papa said:
3 hours ago, BadTrainDriver said:

This thing was literally scary to drive. 55 mph was it. It literally didn't have the power to pull itself. It was only running 3000 rpms in 4th and wouldn't go any faster and 5th wouldn't do more than 52. I got 61 down hill. 

Are all the 4 cylinders like that? I see a ton of them on the road. I can't imagine everyone's only doing 50

Edit. Why is a quote IP made a few days ago showing up in my post!? 

Edited by oldschoolsdime92

14 hours ago, oldschoolsdime92 said:

This thing was literally scary to drive. 55 mph was it. It literally didn't have the power to pull itself. It was only running 3000 rpms in 4th and wouldn't go any faster and 5th wouldn't do more than 52. I got 61 down hill. 

Are all the 4 cylinders like that? I see a ton of them on the road. I can't imagine everyone's only doing 50

Edit. Why is a quote IP made a few days ago showing up in my post!? 

My dad had a 4cyl (iron duke) YJ. 

It was slow as shit. 45 up the hill on 33 before Athens. Stock gearing is not made for 31" + tires. 

Edited by max power

On March 9, 2016 at 11:07 AM, cmh_sprint said:

You ain't gonna wheel a $30k + jeep. 

How much for our beloved gap truck?

Edited by max power