Licking,Perry and Muskingam Counties Ride

trentwilson43056

So's I jump on my bike yesterday after my wife leaves for work and headed south out of Newark on route 13.I jump on state route 204 east  a route for some reason has skipped my notice(204).What a treat it's a beautiful roadway with great scenery.There's a little general store and chainsaw wood carving business,both at the intersection of state route 204 and U.S.22 and as far as I know it's considered Fultonham.There was a dog that belonged to the neighbors and was very friendly and likes Slim Jims.I think I know why he hangs out there.

Edited by trentwilson43056
  • Upvote 1

On 4/1/2016 at 3:12 PM, Idiot said:

Great roads!  Have you tried 668 south out of Brownsville on rt 40?  It'll bring you down to rt 22 a little further east.  Its a beautiful ride and a lot more twisty than 204

Great roads!  Have you tried 668 south out of Brownsville on rt 40?  It'll bring you down to rt 22 a little further east.  Its a beautiful ride and a lot more twisty than 204

Yea that's a great route.You can take it all the way down to 37.I think it runs just west of junction city.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes 668 from 40 south toward Somerset is GREAT, very big Rollercoaster hills, a hairpin at the bottom, and several good fun curves. Just so-so on curves nearing and south of Somerset. 

The dilemma for me always is... slab it on the interstate part of the way from Columbus, then hit 204 east after buckeye lake and dodge the slab??? OR, slab it all the way out to 668& i70 and get to ride the good bits of 668? 40 is slightly better than the slab but not much.

If Hickman Rd NE weren't still very rough pavement, I'd take 161-16-79N to Hickman through the town and tunnel, hang a right and meet up at the Brownsville Rd crossing of 16, then take that to 40 @669... 

Or better, take 161 to 16 to 62  and make a creative way down 206 or 60 to 541 to 79 to Hickman! I'll still ride Hickman, but it's very cracked/bumpy and has a a few long stretches of patches on top of patches on top of potholes.  

East of Somerset/668 isn't too much of noteworthiness until you get close to the river at 555&669. 669 from 555 to the river is an awesome little stretch, then you can ride 60 to 78 there and head south on 260 or to Woodsfield for those great roads, or head back west on 78 past the muskie bucket miners memorial through the boring 7-ish miles around McConnelsville and then pick the fun factor immensely once you pass 555 and climb the ridge onto the best 11 or 13 miles of 78. 

Sorry, I'm daydream rambling... bike is in pieces still on the bench and house projects are taking my efforts away. Hope some of you are out enjoying our passions in this beautiful weather today!

Edited by Chuck78
Typos
  • Upvote 1