No spark ...on lawn mower

redkow97

21 minutes ago, bowdog said:

Going through the same thing now...I have a 46" Husqvarna that shut down while mowing, thought it was out of gas so added fuel and would not start. Checked everything and was getting gas and spark. Brother new a guy so he came over and said it had been running on one cylinder and the other went out and the mower has no compression. Asked my brother if i wanted him to take it to scrap. Don't know if it is worth putting a new motor in or rebuilding?

Husqvarna shouldn't break like that...  For what you paid for the unit, I would expect it to be worth repairing.  The small engine/mower shops I have been calling seem like great little businesses to support. 

I forget what your trailer situation is these days, but I would have it fixed, or at least consider that before replacing it.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, bowdog said:

Going through the same thing now...I have a 46" Husqvarna that shut down while mowing, thought it was out of gas so added fuel and would not start. Checked everything and was getting gas and spark. Brother new a guy so he came over and said it had been running on one cylinder and the other went out and the mower has no compression. Asked my brother if i wanted him to take it to scrap. Don't know if it is worth putting a new motor in or rebuilding?

Boy that sounds like a real extreme event.  And I find it pretty hard to believe it was running on one cylinder and you never noticed.  Get a compression gauge from the local auto parts store, they have loaners and recheck that part first.

• Upvote 1

I have a motor that is a 21 hp vertical twin B&S in my old tractor I'd sell you for $200 for thre whole tractor, transmission is junk but the rest of the mower is good.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bowdog said:

I had that happen once. Pulled off the valve covers and the rocker slipped off. Popped it back on and  it's been good to go for the last 3 years. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, max power said:

Go buy a hustler raptor SD and mow that lawn in five minutes or less. 

Honestly can't believe you have a  riding  lawnmower.  You could push mow that lawn in 10 minutes. 

I don't use it at my house, i use it to mow at my flip house in Johnstown.

@Tonik I was thinking the same thing, last time i mowed it was running and cutting fine.

Thanks Gump, I will check that out.

Chris, I have 3 trailers so getting it somewhere is not an issue if its worth fixing? I made them write it in the deal on the new house i just bought, looks to be a nice mower and i know they are not cheap but not sure how much i should dump in it. Would like to keep it to mow my other house.

• Upvote 1

Go buy a hustler raptor SD and mow that lawn in five minutes or less. 

Honestly can't believe you have a  riding  lawnmower.  You could push mow that lawn in 10 minutes. 

That's what all the cool kids ride...lol

1 hour ago, max power said:

It's a regular husqvarna rider? 

What model? 

Not sure, just the standard 48" i believe...Its the same one they sell at Lowe's.

When I bought my house the owner left me the Cub Cadet riding tractor and said it didn't run.  I pulled the valve covers and as mentioned above a rocker arm came loose and fell off.  I retightened and got 5 years of nonstop mowing out of it before we sold it for a bigger tractor.

• Upvote 1

On 5/10/2016 at 1:31 PM, max power said:

The Husqvarna  MZ series is pretty good also and affordable.  Has the option of the Kawasaki engine which I would recommend.  The low-level Briggs & Stratton and Kohler are junk. 

you're making me feel better about my recent purchase.  The 140cc Briggs & Stratton crate motor that was on my last mower was okay, but the 179cc Kawasaki on this one doesn't seem to notice when I go through grass that would stall my old mower, and stalled my dad's Honda i was borrowing. 

The internet says it's rated for 8.75hp, which I find hilarious, given that my 'race bike' is 100cc and might make 6hp if I'm lucky :p 

The Kawasaki/Craftsman also has 6 forward speeds, whereas the bike has 5.  The only logical conclusion is to race the mower.

Edited by redkow97
  • Upvote 1

I spent some real time messing w/ the drive wheel issue on Sunday, and I think i have it figured out. 

There's 'slack' in the power-drive system that allows the wheel to slide 4-5mm inward on the axle. The drive gear is fixed at the end of said axle, so when the wheel 'slides' inward, it's only half-engaged with the drive sprocket.  That seems to have led to premature wear.  My initial fix was to "machine" a 5mm spacer out of sheets of scrap aluminum.  That has helped, because it keeps the wheel in place and keeps the drive gear fully engaged ...or it would, if it weren't worn.

I spent $23 on a new gear and drive pawl.  Should be here Thursday.  If that doesn't completely remedy the issue, then I'm stumped, and in trouble...