New Rider in Xenia Oh

GameChanger

Hi!  I have just obtained my permit and will be going through the Basic Rider Course starting May 4!!! I am so excited.  I have loads of questions and since I am new to this world, I hope to meet some people on here that like to get together and ride!  

Thanks for the tip Jack!  I am so excited to go through it!  I see you have a couple of motorcycles already, any suggestions for a beginner?  I know I want something larger than a 250.  I also am only wanting to spend 1000-1200 for my first bike.  Suggestions are welcome!  

Thanks for the tip Jack!  I am so excited to go through it!  I see you have a couple of motorcycles already, any suggestions for a beginner?  I know I want something larger than a 250.  I also am only wanting to spend 1000-1200 for my first bike.  Suggestions are welcome!  

I think that is a very personal decision. In that price range it's gonna be older and used. This 87 Kawasaki was 1000 cash and needed some small maintenance and a few small parts to be road worthy for a real ride. You'll find a lot of bikes for sale that you will need to really look over in person. Feel free to pm me when you have some free time and wanna look around. You may find you like the 250s after you take the course. They have their own uses and abilities.

Welcome!

If this is you first ride street or dirt, I would go with something not intimidating and up right with your legs under you.  Every bike IP mentioned is a good choice and will not overwhelm you while learning the ropes.

Would advise against going with a full cruiser with forward controls.  Having your legs and feet out in front of you makes learning harder and you will not be able to learn proper body position.

Have a 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250 for sale if you are interested (a friends bike that I prepped for spring, but he does not want it to come home).  Have not advertised, but it's like new with 3400 miles and new tires.

Good luck with the process, it will be fun!

Welcome to the OR!  You will learn a lot from some experienced riders here.  Like I have told other newbies in the past, the best experience is in the saddle and ride your own ride.

Welcome to the forum -- the MSF course is the best way for new riders to learn the fundamentals and get licensed.  Like mentioned above, stick with smaller caliber parallel twins or Vtwins to keep the bike manageable while you learn more.  I'm a 650 Vtwin ( Suzuki SV650 or Kawasaki Ninja650 ) fan for new riders.  It's forgiving enough to learn on, yet capable enough to keep you interested once you crave more bike.   Good luck with the course, and on the bike hunt

On 4/29/2016 at 8:58 PM, whaler said:

Would advise against going with a full cruiser with forward controls.  Having your legs and feet out in front of you makes learning harder and you will not be able to learn proper body position.

Welcome. The above, from Whaler, I feel is important. For some reason, most of the bikes at the MSF course were cruisers like this, with forward controls. A few were standards, Suzuki TX250U's, and very few dual sports. I recommend that you get to the class early and choose one of the standards or dual sports. I rode a TX250U, and I loved it. It was like a miniature version of my Bonneville. 

I was in Xenia for the first time last Sunday. Turned right and rode to Yellow Springs, then Springfield, then back toward Columbus. The roads just started to get a little curvy when I turned, so I'd like to go back and explore further sometime. 

Enjoy the course and the site, and ask lots of questions. 

• 2 weeks later...