WV Trip

Heagachongoose

Last second planning, heading to WV to visit some family in Elkins. Definitely hitting 33 and 250 while I'm out that way. Will not be dual sporting sadly, but am devoting a good section of time to roading. I have a few days to kill before I start the new job. 

Any suggestions on the way out there? I have a few maps saved from last time I was out there a few years ago. I don't remember much apart from 33 and 250 into VA honestly. 

Trying to get a solid route up for the trip out to Elkins and a route back. As well as things I should hit while I'm out there. 

I just returned from a trip to the tail and took @Tonik suggestion of 16 south of Beckley. They say the guy is full of hate. That may or may not be true. All I know is the man can put together some killer routes. You will not be disappointed if the flooding did not take too much of a toll and if it is in your area to ride. Not sure exactly where Elkins is located. 

If you are in the Hawks Nest area go across the river at Montgomery and head out to 61 at Deep Water.The really good part is only about 5 miles long,but I think you'll like it.

I haven't been over there for a couple years so I don't know about the road condition.

• Upvote 1

Here's a link with lots of good suggestions.  

West Virginia is a disaster area right now so who knows what you will find. If you do go, please right back and let us know how it went. I was planning on doing a 3 day trip in July but am now reconsidering until I get some more info on what is still standing. 

11 hours ago, drc32-0 said:

If you are in the Hawks Nest area go across the river at Montgomery and head out to 61 at Deep Water.The really good part is only about 5 miles long,but I think you'll like it.

I haven't been over there for a couple years so I don't know about the road condition.

We went on it last year and road condition was great.  SUPER SUPER fun stretch of road. We turn around and go back to do it again. :)   Having said that, who knows what the condition is now. The videos and pictures of the devastation are just horrible. My prayers for all those people. 

23 hours ago, Heagachongoose said:

Looks like 119 and most of greenbriar county are shut down. 

Duly noted. 

I think I will be leaving early Thursday or Friday morning. I will be sure to keep it updated on here. 

Just a note that the governor of WV has asked that 51 of the 55 counties in the state be declared disaster areas so they are eligible for federal aid.  Be aware that many folks in that region are gonna be pretty damn grumpy and prolly not real accepting of out-of-state visitors for awhile.  Ride safe.

24 minutes ago, Mary#17 said:

Found this and it shows that Pocahontas County is in good shape. Lots of good riding in this area. 

http://pocahontascountywv.com/featured-fun/how-things-are-here

Nice find, go with that. WV at it's worst is still better than PA.  As Dan said, PA is nice for scenery, history and a few curves.  But it doesn't have the epic twisties that WV has.