WNF - Which Trails?

ScubaCinci

So I think I may go up to Wayne this weekend on the XRL, shack up somewhere nearby and ride for a day or so.

What's the best trails to hit that are skill intermediate and below? Looks like the 3 trail systems are rated as "difficult"? I don't have full knobbies on my XR so I can't tackle anything too tough and likely I'll be by myself so I don't want to get into anything too hairy alone. I'm also wary of getting creamed by ATV's coming the other way. I'm ok with riding some of the same trails multiple times...I just want to get off the damn pavement and gravel. I'm going to try to read over their website tonight for some more research but you guys have ridden it and know it well. Bmac, I have your GPX file here somewhere that I'm going to review as well.

Joe, I'd like to hear this response as well.  Let me tell you this, though:  If you accidentally get on a trail you are uncomfortable with then turn around right away.  Don't keep going on that trail as it's like to get much worse.

I've got family commitments Saturday and Sunday but if you are there on Monday, the 4th,  I could come join you.

Derek

Stay on Dorr Run Loop, Main Corridor and those lower rated trails and you will be fine even wi dual sport tires unless it rains. Plenty of mileage, and once you get settled you can run up toward New Straitsville. Plenty of roads to cut off onto so you can ride around. Stay off Long Ridge and poorly marked or Enduro marked trails. Remember to get a pass

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Joe and Derek, I think  Scott (SMccrory) and Jeff both on DR650 want to ride Wayne on Monday. We have not set a time or Start place yet but keep an Eye out for an update. We can start at Bagley campground and do camp ohio first to get warmed up and comfortable and jump on the Maine and head to dorr run. Brian. Early Monday or after 1pm..

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the info guys...Monday would be really tough for me since I'm nearly 3 hours away from the site and I have work the next morning. I know I'll be pretty damned tired and don't want to push it trying to get home that night. I really appreciate the offer though. If I wasn't covering for one of my peers next week, I'd take Tuesday off and join you.

I looked up Dorr Run loop and even watched a video of it online and it definitely looks like the kind of riding I want to do so I may just drive up Friday evening. Ride Saturday in that area, get a feel for the place and maybe explore a little on Sunday before heading home unless it's getting pretty crowded. I need to look at places to stay etc. still so nothing definite yet.

One more question...will I have issues finding a place to park my Honda Element & Kendon trailer? By issues, I mean people trying to break in and/or steal my trailer etc? Are there any recommended parking spots near the begley campground?

If you are camping at Begley's or Willams Campgrounds You should not have any problems. As for the Trail Head Parking areas. They are very nice parking sites but I can't comment on security or any problem with vandals. To me they look like great opportunities for smash and grab punk ass shit heads that roam this area daily. Check with the Dirty Talk Gentlemen. They are very helpful and knowledgeable about the Wayne area.

Mac.

Edited by B-Mac

Most of the ones marked "Difficult" on the main corr or off of Dorr run are usually just a small section that would be tricky with a heavy bike. A quad or dirt bike the word difficult would be laughable. The only areas of dorr I'd avoid on a heavy bike would be(and this is going off of a couple years ago) deer stand loop. CCC trail and the stretch between P1 and Mine shaft(known as the Bog).

Good to know. I often wonder the qualifications for "difficult" are. For me, that means very steep climbs or decents, extreme ruts on off-camber sections, and exceptionally rough terrain making picking a proper line critical.

Scuba, come down and see me man. My rig is parked at the top of the hill at Williams campground, look for Red F-350 and 32' Jayco trailer with couple of tip outs. I have some really great trails that are off the beaten path that not to many people know about that you will thoroughly enjoy! I would be happy to take you out and show you the area. I will be there from Thursday night until Monday morning. When you pull into Williams just tell them you are looking for Adam and they will point you right to me. Feel free to text me if you want at

Edited by bowdog

@bowdog I'll take you up on your offer to come see ya if it still stands and we can hit some trails. I'll text you at your # above so you have my # and know who it is if I call/text. Then you might want to edit out your phone # in your post so the bots don't pick it up and start spamming ya. Plus @Tonik might see it and hack your phone. :p

I booked a room at the Holiday Inn Express in Logan, OH (which isn't too far away from the Williams campground) for Saturday night. So I'll head up there Saturday but the timing depends. I don't think I'll be able to check in before early afternoon at the latest so if I get there early Sat, I'll need a place to park the Element with the Kendon trailer. Is there anywhere I can park at the campgrounds during the day without a hassle? If not, I would likely come up later on Saturday and ride some and then stay most of Sunday to do a little more riding.

B-Mac, Monday might be a wash-out for Wayne if the forecast is correct, but we'll see. My TR8/T63 pair came in this week, so I'm hoping to get Jeff's help shoeing them on by then in any case. I could also be free Sunday for another location if you're itching to get some dirt then.

12 hours ago, ScubaCinci said:

@bowdog I'll take you up on your offer to come see ya if it still stands and we can hit some trails. I'll text you at your # above so you have my # and know who it is if I call/text. Then you might want to edit out your phone # in your post so the bots don't pick it up and start spamming ya. Plus @Tonik might see it and hack your phone. :p

I booked a room at the Holiday Inn Express in Logan, OH (which isn't too far away from the Williams campground) for Saturday night. So I'll head up there Saturday but the timing depends. I don't think I'll be able to check in before early afternoon at the latest so if I get there early Sat, I'll need a place to park the Element with the Kendon trailer. Is there anywhere I can park at the campgrounds during the day without a hassle? If not, I would likely come up later on Saturday and ride some and then stay most of Sunday to do a little more riding.

@ScubaCinci Sounds good, it absolutely still stands...as far as parking goes you can park up with me at my camp and you wont have a thing to worry about. We have mud bogs going on Saturday which will be fun for you to spectate if interested, plus a band playing and I always do a nice fireworks show at night, so along with great riding should be some fun activities and an all around good time. I am also planning to bring my smoker and do a pork shoulder and maybe some ribs.

Edited by bowdog

19 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Adam will be rolling out of his camper at the crack of 1:30 pm

:lol:I have gotten a little better....

@ScubaCinci lets plan on 10am, probably have a few cold ones on Friday night and i don't want you to have to sit and wait on me like I make everyone else do being this is the first time we will be meeting. :o

Edited by bowdog

15 hours ago, smccrory said:

B-Mac, Monday might be a wash-out for Wayne if the forecast is correct, but we'll see. My TR8/T63 pair came in this week, so I'm hoping to get Jeff's help shoeing them on by then in any case. I could also be free Sunday for another location if you're itching to get some dirt then.

I am out for Sunday. Swing is doing a upper TOT on Sunday, that might help you scrub in the new tires. As Monday draws near the weather might change for the better. We can always do another trail ride some time. I will check back here on Sunday. Ride Safe. B.

I am out for Sunday. Swing is doing a upper TOT on Sunday, that might help you scrub in the new tires. As Monday draws near the weather might change for the better. We can always do another trail ride some time. I will check back here on Sunday. Ride Safe. B.

Sounds great, thanks again B!

17 minutes ago, B-Mac said:

You can always hook up with us on Saturday :)

52 minutes ago, ScubaCinci said:

That works...I was up very late last night for an audit for work so I wasn't actually looking forward to getting up at 6am on Saturday anyway :D

Let me know if there's anything I can bring ya.

Cool see you then, i am set just bring whatever you need to ride and some gas, i have miscellaneous tools i leave in the camper if something were to come up so you dont need to pack and bring a bunch of stuff if you are worried about parking at the hotel.

• Upvote 1