Why does this happen?

Scene

Is this normal wear and tear or should I look into replacing the lever as well? I remember changing my clutch cable last year because I noticed it ripping by the lever, and I checked today, and it's doing the same thing. It looks like it's getting cut on an edge. Is this because of the lever? I think this even happened before with my stock levers. Would sanding the corner help?

Picture attached.

IMG_6554.jpg

25 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Ditch those shitty Chinese levers and install something closer to OEM. Your lever is cutting the strands of wire. That's full-on no bueno. 

More info...

I have Chinese levers....

I've put Chinese pazzo knockoffs on all my sport bikes, never had this happen. If you can see where the lever is cutting your cable, take a file to that part and relieve it so there's nothing there to contact the cable, then replace the cable. If you're in the Akron Canton area you can bring it by my place and I'll sort it out for a few beers.

• Upvote 1

You know what, it definitely is the levers lol. I got them off eBay and after taking a look at my stock ones, it looks like there is a slot that the wire goes through instead of being cut off on that edge.

I'm going to take a look at new levers and I have been looking at CRG ones. Not sure what other brands are good but I have just been seeing CRG a lot.

Also another question, I have seen some levers that include a "perch" on Revzilla. Is the perch necessary?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Buy CRG levers from Mike. He'll give you a good deal and they're quality levers. I have used/installed them and never had an issue with the equipment. 

RidersDiscount is a site sponsor. That link is their online price. Mike may be able to get you a better deal than that. Support our sponsors. 

+1. Those are the levers I got and who I bought them from.