moving house

hiro

Here's what I learned about NC coming from Ohio. IMO

3 months out of the year it's hot and humid as all get out. You can't hang out outside for more than 10 minutes without your clothes drenched in sweat.

In the spring there's a month where everything's covered in thick green/yellow pollen 24/7.

No one goes in the woods, especially not off trail or kayaks cricks once it's in the 80's or above. Tooooo many copperheads a.k.a. Water moccasins, everywhere! For real.

Worst bunch of asshole drivers,  I've ever seen but I lived in the sticks in Ohio and ventured smaller cities. Freeway left lane riders are plenty and NO ONE gives them time to get over if they wanted to because everyone is used to the asshole not getting over. No one understands who is supposed to go first at a stop sign.

Roads are narrower and not as well lit or marked or something. Might be the intense sunlight or they don't use reflective paint.

They only bury there water lines maybe 12"'s. 

Gutters on houses are optional.

Curbs and dividers in the roadways everywhere! I'm not sure why maybe since u-turns r legal they crank up the divider things.

Whoever mandates commercial parking lots is a moron. Wherever you'd think, through common sense, there'd be a exit, nope, turn around and/or if there is an additional exit be forced to go the wrong direction on the road because of the dang divider again. 

Meat prices are high.

Sand on the road is a hazard for bikes.

You have to pressure wash your house twice a year. They all get moldy because at night the entire house siding is covered in sweat and also tree frogs, which is kinda cool. Houses are not as well insulated as they are in Ohio. I think it's due to different regulations or that it needs to breathe more since it gets so sweaty. 

Their version of a snowstorm is literally, if it snows. They do get black ice really really bad. Either of those happen,  everyone stays home or should.

Mowing the grass is extremely easy. The sandy soil does not seem to promote thick grass. 

They have genetic midget deer. They look like normal bodied deer, slightly smaller, but with short legs. 

It rains in the fall like it does in the spring in Ohio. 

"Most" people have a built in southern hospitality that is seemingly more polite than Ohioans. 

Theres lizards.

Very few birds.

No rabbits to speak of where they'd normally be in Ohio.

Squirrels are smaller.

People mow their grass at a 1/4". I'm not sure why. Perhaps so the only thing that can grow is a grass called centipede. 

Ohio Kentucky bluegrass will not grow here. Well it grows then dies.

"Topsoil" bought from a landscape company is dark sand. Topsoil from a box store is old mulch and dark sand. 

Cars and trucks, while not rusty, carry a premium for not being rusty.