Trackbike sale protocol

Helmutt

Never bought/sold a non-titled bike before, and not entirely sure how those are typically handled.  Bill of sale stating the vin, year, make, etc?   Does it even matter since it's "as is"?   I've got a lead on a really good deal, and thinking of picking it up to pass along to someone who's in the market for a trackbike. 

BACKSTORY -- Ultra low mileage bike, all stock, no title......the guy selling it bought it dirt cheap from the po's widow, and now his wife isn't forgiving him for it.....so he needs it gone asap.  The kicker is he, nor the widow, has any knowledge of the bike's origins and neither have pursued trying to title it.  

Should this concern me at all?   Would a vin trace even matter at this point since it would be bought/sold as a non-titled trackbike?   I assume I should trace the vin anyway to ensure it's a dead title...

27 minutes ago, durk said:

I believe the VIN check Tonik posted is only Ohio. Here is another site to check I have used it a couple times. It goes through insurance records.

https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck

Good luck. Hope it all works out. 

Thanks man.  That's one site I'd found on a quick search too.  I truly hope it's legit because the deal is absolutely stellar, but I'm torn on what to do if it's not.  He's a good guy, isn't crooked in the least, and was just looking for a good trackbike himself when he picked it up...hence why he didn't care about the title situation.  I'm not sure he can even get any action from the widow or not because 1) she already got her money out of him 2) he mentioned she was quickly liquidating assets to move away.  If it's reported stolen or some other illegal status, I DEFINITELY wont buy it.

Cycle Vin is the only reliable way to go as it gives title history etc. I checked NCIB as well as a few other free sites bike came up as not stolen etc.  Lets just say it is not worth the hassle of dealing with the state police for purchasing/trying to sell stolen property.  The frame was stolen 5 years prior to me purchasing it .  I sold it,  two years after the person that bought it from me was trying to sell it and the state police showed up at his door and seized the bike.  I provided a notarized bill of sale with all my contact info so.....It came right back to me. It was very stressful trying to demonstrate that I had no knowledge that the frame was stolen which they didn't care as they took the whole bike.  I had to provide phone records and text messages between the seller and myself and try and identify people from mug shots.   It is amazing how shady some people can be.  The guy you are purchasing it from my be a stand up person but that doesn't mean the person he bought it from was.   

Edited by RonStopable
  • Upvote 2

As long as the vin isn't listed in the add you don't have much to worry about it don't think. Alot of track bikes were probably stolen at some point, of course most were just totaled. 

Wait,what?
A lot of trackbikes are stolen bikes?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Ron's experience is a scenario everyone should be aware of before purchasing without a title, but with that said, it is very difficult to prove what someone else knew, beyond a reasonable doubt. 

You want to avoid buying a stolen bike for ethical reasons, if not legal reasons, and the hassle would suck - but it's not terribly likely that you'd actually be convicted unless there were clear signs that you were intentionally ignorant of the bike's origin. 

I I have never seen a ground-off VIN plate at the track. Stolen or not, that's illegal. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, RonStopable said:

Cycle Vin is the only reliable way to go as it gives title history etc. I checked NCIB as well as a few other free sites bike came up as not stolen etc.  Lets just say it is not worth the hassle of dealing with the state police for purchasing/trying to sell stolen property.  The frame was stolen 5 years prior to me purchasing it .  I sold it,  two years after the person that bought it from me was trying to sell it and the state police showed up at his door and seized the bike.  I provided a notarized bill of sale with all my contact info so.....It came right back to me. It was very stressful trying to demonstrate that I had no knowledge that the frame was stolen which they didn't care as they took the whole bike.  I had to provide phone records and text messages between the seller and myself and try and identify people from mug shots.   It is amazing how shady some people can be.  The guy you are purchasing it from my be a stand up person but that doesn't mean the person he bought it from was.   

13 hours ago, RonStopable said:

Also wanted to add NCIB is for vehicles not motorcycles boats and RVs.  You want that info you gotta pay.  That is how I found out about cycle vin.  

Thanks Ron.  I appreciate all the insight. I'll use cycle vin to check it out, as well as Toniks link to cover my ass.  

lol... tim, if the world keeps throwing you GIXXER 600s, you should probably just bend over and take it and live that GIXXER life. 

just think, with that titleless bike you could even join the local flock of squids during their nightly migrations and fit right in. you'd just have to stop by a BOSS store to pick up your new riding gear. 

11 minutes ago, what said:

lol... tim, if the world keeps throwing you GIXXER 600s, you should probably just bend over and take it and live that GIXXER life. 

just think, with that titleless bike you could even join the local flock of squids during their nightly migrations and fit right in. you'd just have to stop by a BOSS store to pick up your new riding gear. 

Never buying a gsxr600 ever.

• Upvote 1

joking aside, I really liked the feel of the newer GSX-R models at the IMS.  I have never been a fan of the "on top of" feeling the R6 provides.  the GSX-R is a nice middleground between the the "in" feeling of a CBR and "on" feeling of an R6.

I'm not anti kawasaki, Triumph, etc. - just not as big of a used market, it seems.

5 minutes ago, redkow97 said:

joking aside, I really liked the feel of the newer GSX-R models at the IMS.  I have never been a fan of the "on top of" feeling the R6 provides.  the GSX-R is a nice middleground between the the "in" feeling of a CBR and "on" feeling of an R6.

I'm not anti kawasaki, Triumph, etc. - just not as big of a used market, it seems.

Capture.JPG