• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, magley64 said:

What a colossal waste of money.

I mostly agree.

If you (we) stop giving free healthcare, food, housing, drivers license, education, etc..etc to illegals, and start prosecuting criminal activity,  then they really have little reason to cross the fence.  In fact they'd be pouring back south like moths to a flame.   Like they say, if you dont want birdshit on your porch, stop filling the bird-feeder!

The only segment you can't really affect is the drug traffic, which is where the wall is a good idea.

Edited by Qman
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, magley64 said:

Tariffs don't work that way... The consumer ends up paying the tariff.

You might want to research that a bit further.

At the end of the process the prices would be higher and that does impact the consumer.  But where do you think that tariff money goes?  Who is actually collecting it? 

33 minutes ago, magley64 said:

The government is collecting it, the consumer is paying it...It's the same thing as a border tax.

Mexico isn't paying for the wall, anyone buying imported goods is.

Sorry but no.  Tariffs are not collected at the time of sale.  They are collected at the time of import.  Paid for by the importer/exporter.

The wholesale price is higher, so it's very likely that the retail price will also be higher.  Even if the price was too high and the product NEVER sells because consumers instead bought products made in the USA (not subject to said tariff), the import tariff has already been collected.

Try harder next time.

Edited by Tpoppa

52 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

I'm fine with that. Buy from Mexico..pay a higher tax. If the market sustains that tax, then it's a closed system. Problem is they'll build it first and then come to collect from us when we stop buying imported goods. 

So, unless they do it right..we get fucked. Again.  

Oh he's already said he's "borrowing" the money from us...

56 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

Sorry but no.  Tariffs are not collected at the time of sale.  They are collected at the time of import.  Paid for by the importer/exporter.

The wholesale price is higher, so it's very likely that the retail price will also be higher.  Even if the price was too high and the product NEVER sells because consumers instead bought products made in the USA (not subject to said tariff), the import tariff has already been collected.

Try harder next time.

When you quote someone a price, you account for your costs. This includes any tariff or tax you pay. So if Pennsylvania institutes an ohio tariff and I'm quoting a price to Penn, I'm adding up my costs, labor, materials, profit margin, tariffs, shipping, and taxes, then quoting that price to my customer in PA, they're paying it... They might get a lower price from someone within the state, but I'm not eating that cost as a supplier.

Edited by magley64

41 minutes ago, magley64 said:

but I'm not eating that cost as a supplier.

You aren't eating it (hopefully), but it has already been paid.   As a business, you are then trying to make a margin on those costs.

https://faculty.washington.edu/danby/bls324/trade/tariff.html  (there are plenty of other sources that will say the same thing.

" A tariff is a fee assessed on imports.  This can be imposed in various ways but we’ll stick with the “specific tariff,” a simple per-unit charge. The tariff represents a per-unit charge that has to be paid to the government by whomever brings the good across the border and into the country.  If there is a $1,000 tariff on imported automobiles, then no new car can be imported into the United States without paying $1,000 to customs agents as it is brought in. "

2 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

You aren't eating it (hopefully), but it has already been paid.   As a business, you are then trying to make a margin on those costs.

https://faculty.washington.edu/danby/bls324/trade/tariff.html  (there are plenty of other sources that will say the same thing.

" A tariff is a fee assessed on imports.  This can be imposed in various ways but we’ll stick with the “specific tariff,” a simple per-unit charge. The tariff represents a per-unit charge that has to be paid to the government by whomever brings the good across the border and into the country.  If there is a $1,000 tariff on imported automobiles, then no new car can be imported into the United States without paying $1,000 to customs agents as it is brought in. "

But it's not affecting my margins, it's affecting the final price paid by my customer. Ultimately, I'm not paying it, they are. Whatever they do with it once it's in their possession is up to them.

If it's a new car, that tarrif goes right on the invoice as part of the delivery charge.

4 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

When Trump said Mexico would pay for the wall, I always assumed he meant from funds collected through an import tariff.

3 hours ago, magley64 said:

Tariffs don't work that way... The consumer ends up paying the tariff.

Since you seem to have forgotten what you were disagreeing about in the first place...

Again, I assumed Trump meant that money collected by US Customs in the form of tarrifs on products made in Mexcio would be used to fund the wall. 

I think the general idea here is that a 20% import tax would pretty much stop any manufacturing there for importing to the US. It would destroy Mexico's economy. I don't think the tax is to pay for the wall, but to convince Mexico to pay for it so that 20% tax will go away. It sounds a bit like extortion to me, but what do I know. 

6 minutes ago, Casper said:

Hence the crippling of Mexico's economy. 

Yea, this should be a lesson for a lot of other countries. Trump is not afraid to stick it right up their ass. For the wall or not he played the Mexican Presidential exteamly well and is poised to deliver on a major election promise.