2017 HD Street Rod

Tpoppa

So...I really wanted to like this bike.  I wanted to think that HD could get past their form over function mentality and produce a functional fun sporty motorcycle.  Meh :dunno:

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/harley-davidson/2017-harley-davidson-street-rod-first-ride-review.html

This looks like the the most uncomfortable standard bike ever.  Look how high the pegs are, his knees are as high as the tank.  No way I could tolerate that position for a long ride.  This had a lot of potential, but HD doesn't seem to "get" riding positions that aren't typical cruiser.  IMO It's a swing and a miss.  Too bad.

032017-2017-harley-davidson-street-rod-f

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tonik said:

They do that on all their smaller bikes.

Maybe, but this is way worse than the riding position on even their own XR1200, which also wasn't a very good bike.

Look at a properly executed sporty, standard.  See the diffeence

maxresdefault.jpg

Harley does things like this because they want the younger market.  The younger market doesn't always mean they were riders before.  When it's your first bike what do you compare it with?  Your lawn tractor?

The problems stated are valid probably; never rode a 750.  Aftermarket will probably offer solutions.  And lord knows some custom builder will chop one.  Where's my antacid?

The Triumphs have taken many years to get where there at. I would say they doing pretty well in the sporty standard bike area. I don't expect Harley to hit it out of the park on the first year of any model. 

Here is what I still drool over every time I see it.

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.93199df2277e7a65ec30f7f0a31a4347.jpg

I agree that CB is sexy.

HD used the exact same exhaust from the 750 Street Cruiser.  Fine for a cruiser, bit totally gets in the way of the standard foot pegs.  You're even supposed to rest your foot on the exhaust (read the review)????

For aftermarket parts, you'd need a new, rerouted exhaust and new foot controls.  That's pretty expensive to fix an obvious design flaw.

10 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

So...I really wanted to like this bike.  I wanted to think that HD could get past their form over function mentality and produce a functional fun sporty motorcycle.  Meh :dunno:

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/harley-davidson/2017-harley-davidson-street-rod-first-ride-review.html

This looks like the the most uncomfortable standard bike ever.  Look how high the pegs are, his knees are as high as the tank.  No way I could tolerate that position for a long ride.  This had a lot of potential, but HD doesn't seem to "get" riding positions that aren't typical cruiser.  IMO It's a swing and a miss.  Too bad.

032017-2017-harley-davidson-street-rod-f

What's with the orange rear springs?  If you go to the trouble to black out everything else, but cant get Showa to color match...WTF?

20 minutes ago, Wandering Soul said:

Harley does things like this because they want the younger market.  The younger market doesn't always mean they were riders before.  When it's your first bike what do you compare it with?  Your lawn tractor?

Young people read reviews.  This bike is going to get killed in reviews and especially in comparisons to bikes like the FZ07, Triumph Street Twin, etc. 

I mean did they even throw a leg over other bikes in the same segment?

Rant over.  Like I said...I wanted to like it.

If Harley wants the young market segment, they need to release a street legal xg750r. One of these things would be fun as hell in the twisties and you could dirt-road it too... not to mention the styling fits with the retro look that's popular now. 

harley-davidson-xg-750r-flat-tracker-fis

9 minutes ago, what said:

If Harley wants the young market segment, they need to release a street legal xg750r. One of these things would be fun as hell in the twisties and you could dirt-road it too... not to mention the styling fits with the retro look that's popular now. 

harley-davidson-xg-750r-flat-tracker-fis

Indian has been out of flat track racing for 60 years.  1st race back and they smoked HD

http://www.hotbikeweb.com/indian-ftr750-takes-top-2-in-daytona

It's hugely significant to take 1st and 2nd in your first race with a brand new motorcycle and a brand new race team.  But as we all know it's not that hard to beat a Harley in a race:lol: 

True.  If Harley has any bragging rights, it's due to people like the Vance & Hines Team.  They may have some factory support; I don't know off-hand.  HD did have Buell at one time and that went away.

Through all this they haven't learned shit.  Look...I own and ride Harleys.  I really, really like the bike.  But as a company they suck.  Greed rules within their walls.

• Upvote 1

I've owned 3 Buells.  I mostly liked them.  They were quirky and different, but they performed well enough.

Selling Buells at HD dealers fit together as well as orange juice and toothpaste.  IMO that was the main thing that limited Buell sales.

I just don't think sport or performance is a real possibility at HD the way the company is structured.   And that's OK, they still sell a ton of motorcycles.

Edited by Tpoppa

1 minute ago, JustinNck1 said:

I think the biggest issue EBR/Buell has now is that their life cycle has been like a yo-yo and no one has confidence in the company lasting more than a couple years before it restructures again.

EBR/Buell is totally dead.

He's a good (not great) engineer, but a terrible businessman.  I wonder how many EBRs were actually sold to customers.

• Upvote 1

The previous street-rod was another step in the right direction, that HD quickly terminated.  It took the Vrod and pulled in the rake angle, had decent cornering clearance, and put your feet under your ass.  I don't understand that company.

I'm a bit nostalgic I guess.  But for me to buy a new Harley they'd have to first burn the EPA down and hang the bosses from trees, then drag the molds out for panheads and/or shovelheads and start building them again.  Those old Harleys are what got me going at 4 years old.  Had to have one.  Anyone who was a kid in the '70s to '80s probably saw them and have gotten into Wide Glides, Lowriders and now spend their $$$ on the twinkies more for looks than performance.

And this is what the corporate jerk-offs have made their money at.  Selling nostalgia.  I honestly think if they even took an old Suzuki water buffalo out for a spin they'd shit themselves.  To present that 750 to guys that think they want a Harley but think they also want a performance bike is signs of sure lunacy brought on by their mothers having V.D. when they gave birth! 

Harley and performance just don't go together. They build cruisers to look good, and have one of the best motorcycle marketing/sales schemes IMO. They sell a ton of bikes and most owners are oblivious to the lack of performance, because they never experienced a bike that performs well, and guess what? They really don't care. Merely looking cool is priority number 1 for some. Sad but true. I've rode a 88 TC, 96 TC, & 103 TC motors, all have plenty enough power and probably too much for their brakes. They have added bigger forks and ditched the air shocks on the newer touring bikes, which should help performance, but at the end of the day, it's a heavy cruiser.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JustinNck1 said:

Harley and performance just don't go together. They build cruisers to look good, and have one of the best motorcycle marketing/sales schemes IMO. They sell a ton of bikes and most owners are oblivious to the lack of performance, because they never experienced a bike that performs well, and guess what? They really don't care. Merely looking cool is priority number 1 for some. Sad but true. I've rode a 88 TC, 96 TC, & 103 TC motors, all have plenty enough power and probably too much for their brakes. They have added bigger forks and ditched the air shocks on the newer touring bikes, which should help performance, but at the end of the day, it's a heavy cruiser.

Back in 03 a friend and I rented a new low rider and a deuce from Miami to key west and back.  What pitiful pieces of hot, vibrating, powerless shit.  And extremely uncomfortable as well.  Just unreal how bad they both were.  Sure hope they've improved some since!

Edited by Qman

surprised at a brutal honest review from a diplomatically correct source. As of now I am infatuated with a diavel for some reason. Cruiser is one class i havent tried so far and dont want to try, and diavel at least on ergo looks "cruisery"  :) but the price :nono: