Quick Opinions Needed

hiro

2 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

LOL!! They had to put it up against a curb because the front brakes suck ass.

It's much easier and safer to do it that way especially considering how shit faced we were. That was at a hotel on the north side of the gap a few years ago.

26 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Oh shit its someone we know?

Someone I know. You don't know him, no one else here knows him.  Well one guy does but he doesn't come here anymore. I took that video.

Uh...tell me this isn't catastrophic. The fluid level is at the top line. Then there's that dark stuff with some light stuff that I can see shifting around when I shake the bike. There is clean green fluid on the rim of the tank, but I did see a little scum on the seal. Not foamy or anything. At least not that I can tell yet.

IMG_2179.JPG

2 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

Swinging side to side is not a way to heat up tires just fyi. Best way to do it is hard acceleration and braking. But none of that is required for street riding. I just made sure my pressures were good and off I went. My Q3's were great right out of my garage.

Wow, after rebate the Q3's come out to $208 from Revzilla. I'd probably want more siping tho. I'm more likely to need water displacement than dry cornering grip.

5 hours ago, Tonik said:

This is how I heat mine up at 3 am in a hotel parking lot.

Wow.  I think I finally figured out the purpose of ape hangers .   Allows you to stand and get your weight forward for easier burnouts!   Plus it get your face outta the smoke!  Brilliant!  ;-)

4 minutes ago, Qman said:

Wow.  I think I finally figured out the purpose of ape hangers .   Allows you to stand and get your weight forward for easier burnouts!   Plus it get your face outta the smoke!  Brilliant!  ;-)

Plus they are the most comfortable position possible for your arms and hands.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, hiro said:

Wow, after rebate the Q3's come out to $208 from Revzilla. I'd probably want more siping tho. I'm more likely to need water displacement than dry cornering grip.

Thats a good deal. I'd check with @RidersDiscount to make sure they cant give you a better deal (that's already a good price but doesn't hurt to check.) How often do you ride in the rain? I rarely ride in the rain. I've been caught in the rain a handful of times while on Q3's and didn't have any issues, but I also wasn't riding like a bat out of hell either lol.

22 hours ago, hiro said:

Uh...tell me this isn't catastrophic. The fluid level is at the top line. Then there's that dark stuff with some light stuff that I can see shifting around when I shake the bike. There is clean green fluid on the rim of the tank, but I did see a little scum on the seal. Not foamy or anything. At least not that I can tell yet.

IMG_2179.JPG

Needs a coolant flush, coolant needs to be periodically changed anyway, so you might as well just do it now.

On 3/30/2017 at 5:01 PM, hiro said:

10 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

Thats a good deal. I'd check with @RidersDiscount to make sure they cant give you a better deal (that's already a good price but doesn't hurt to check.) How often do you ride in the rain? I rarely ride in the rain. I've been caught in the rain a handful of times while on Q3's and didn't have any issues, but I also wasn't riding like a bat out of hell either lol.

http://www.jakewilson.com is the only place to buy tires. I love RD but Mike usually can't come close to JW tire prices. And screw those Dun-flops get you some bridgestone T30 evos and do it quick the reabte offer ends today. You size sets are $235 with a $50 rebate so $185 set and you will get them in 2 buisness days.

Edited by 2talltim

1 hour ago, 2talltim said:

http://www.jakewilson.com is the only place to buy tires. I love RD but Mike usually can't come close to JW tire prices. And screw those Dun-flops get you some bridgestone T30 evos and do it quick the reabte offer ends today. You size sets are $235 with a $50 rebate so $185 set and you will get them in 2 buisness days.

Just ordered a set of T30  Evo gt's for the FJR from Rocky Mountain. Ordered 5:30 pm and were delivered about 3 the next afternoon. 

Edited by Al Z. Heimer
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Al Z. Heimer said:

Just ordered a set of T30  Evo gt's for the FJR from Rocky Mountain. Ordered 5:30 pm and were delivered about 3 the next afternoon. 

Rocky Mointian and Jake Wilson are basically the same company. Yup I usually get mine the next day too. Free ship no tax you can't beat it.

14 minutes ago, hiro said:

I did consider the T30 EVO's. What's special about them compared to M7 RR's? (I'm guessing mileage.)

Great in the wet, stick like glue on the dry, dual compound for the twisties and long tread life and they are inexpensive. What's not to love? Getting ready to mount my 4th set.

20 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Great in the wet, stick like glue on the dry, dual compound for the twisties and long tread life and they are inexpensive. What's not to love? Getting ready to mount my 4th set.

Dual compound front and rear or just rear?  I was out last night when it started to rain and hail. I guess nothing is good on hail?

• 2 weeks later...

I love the torque of the 650 compared to the 300. It doesn't feel like it could get away from me, but it pushes me back in the seat. Taking off the windscreen and sitting upright adds to the sensation. haha Now I know how a sailboat feels.

I wonder if I should actually change the brake fluid. Only 1788 miles on it and the reservoirs were probably never opened and the fluid is pretty clear, but it's been in there 5 years. The manual suggests every 2 years. (?)

Looking over the service manual, there are some surprising recommendations. Probably not doing all that, except the brake hose makes me think twice. Maybe get a steel braided line in that case. Anyone every have a brake line explode?

Fuel hose - replace 5 years
Radiator hose and O-ring - replace 3 years
Brake hose - replace 4 years
Brake fluid - change 2 years
Rubber parts of master cylinder and caliper - replace 4 years

19 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Rubber hoses burst. Hydraulic pressure is a bitch. Moisture in the lines from not flushing old fluid plus degradation caused by UV light are the main culprits. But.. do whatever you wish. The service manual is just like a "Choose Your Own Adventure" book and hardly worth adhering to. Especially if you have zero fucking idea what you're even looking at. 

I had an old AMC Gremlin with front drum brakes. The piston was frozen on one side. Maybe from moisture and/or not being used for too long. I think the fluid pressure blew past the seal. Was able to fix it.

I hear that ozone from electrical machinery can do a number of rubber, too.