Grattan: Tell me all about it

Bubba

So, there's gotta be a few peeps here that have headed to Grattan in the last few years.  A friend, planning to race his Super 2000,  invited me to crew for him this weekend at the VSCDA event at Grattan.  I've never been to the place and have a few questions.

1) Do they allow RV camping on-site during events?

2) Googlemap sat view makes me think the facilities are pretty basic, so presume no electric/water hook-ups...although hopefully flush toilets!

3) Any good places you'd recommend to grab a burger and cold beer within 10-15 minutes drive?

4) If no camping at the track, recos for nearby motels?  GM shows almost no motels closer than Grand Rapids.

Thx!

14 minutes ago, Pauly said:

I mean... you didnt answer a single question he asked. Lol

Yea, that was an impressive misread of the original post. Given Bubba is not riding the track, I'm pretty sure he doesn't care about the pavement 😆

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Pauly said:

I mean... you didnt answer a single question he asked. Lol

32 minutes ago, CBBaron said:

Yea, that was an impressive misread of the original post. Given Bubba is not riding the track, I'm pretty sure he doesn't care about the pavement 😆

8 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Wonder when Nelson's is having a Super 2000 event.

Glad I could help :thefinger: Still did more than you 3 by tagging someone that is very familiar with Grattan.

Edited by TimTheAzn

See...this kind of witty repartee is the reason I joined OR so many years ago!  🤣

No, I don't care how crappy the pavement is, although it may make for a more entertaining weekend.

Posted up the same question on the AFJ FB forum but not many replies there either.  Guessing Grattan is NOT a go-to venue for 2-wheel racing.

I'll try to get some video of the old guys racing their expensive toys.  Should be fun with enough beer...

• Beer 1

There are no water hook ups, I would guess you aren't going to get one of the few electric spots there either. Not sure how they facilitate camping at that specific event for pricing but the last time I was there "2018" it was expensive, like $25-$50 a night or something.

• Upvote 1

Coming from Ohio the bathrooms will be an upgrade is my guess. Only a little standing water and toilets do flush.  Been there many times over the years when we had the bikes/race team. Grand Rapids is Beer City USA so be sure to dig in. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, RidersDiscount said:

Coming from Ohio the bathrooms will be an upgrade is my guess.

Grand Rapids is Beer City USA so be sure to dig in.

Yeah, can't be any scarier than the johnnys in the infield at Mid-O.  I've been a regular there for decades...back when the Superbike races were "super" before DMG gutted the purses--Doug Chandler, Miguel Duhamel, Ben Bostrom, Nicky Hayden, and best of all, Mladin vs Spies!!!

Was looking at some of the small towns around Grattan and it looks like lots of options available in Lowell for food and beer!!!

https://bigboilerbrewing.com/beer/

10 minutes ago, Bubba said:

Yeah, can't be any scarier than the johnnys in the infield at Mid-O.  I've been a regular there for decades...back when the Superbike races were "super" before DMG gutted the purses--Doug Chandler, Miguel Duhamel, Ben Bostrom, Nicky Hayden, and best of all, Mladin vs Spies!!!

Was looking at some of the small towns around Grattan and it looks like lots of options available in Lowell for food and beer!!!

https://bigboilerbrewing.com/beer/

This is true, you are on the right track. See what I did there? :D

• Confused 1

Crapola!!!  My friend had to cancel--work got in the way. He's the head technical engineer for IMSA team #32, racing a Mercedes AMG in the GTD class. Apparently, they had a shitty weekend at RA and they're flogging the horses to get ready for a test session at VIR next weekend.

Oh well. Sounds like it'll be a nice weekend to ride.

18 hours ago, Bubba said:

Crapola!!!  My friend had to cancel--work got in the way. He's the head technical engineer for IMSA team #32, racing a Mercedes AMG in the GTD class. Apparently, they had a shitty weekend at RA and they're flogging the horses to get ready for a test session at VIR next weekend.

Oh well. Sounds like it'll be a nice weekend to ride.

Bummer, be sure to make it up here while it's still nice. Head over to Holland/Grand Haven while you are, some of the best beaches in 'Merica. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Tonik said:

So at this point the whole thread is useless, not just Tim's post?

Not at all.  You contributed humor, TimTheAzn warned about the sketchy pavement, Jester warned us about ants in the paddock, and Mike at Riders Discount gave a one-thumbs-up--maybe--to the flush johns at the track.  Much has been elucidated for those of us ignorant of the subtleties of Grattan!

Now, I just have to get there.

Edited by Bubba

well i was going to give you a detailed layout of the track  and its amenities but sounds like that not needed anymore.. PS the pavement isnt sketchy  we  are all laping at the best times we ever have there...  the fastest dudes out there are within 0.5 seconds of the lap record.. the only time the surface is  more  or less different is in the true wet...  toss a set of rains on and get to it.. you'll be fine,  ive raced on DOT's in the rain there  that was sketchy  but another story..
there are no power or  water hook ups though you can dump on site and  flush with the grattan water... dont drink it
you can  RV camp there they charge i dont remember how much
there is power in the garages usually 50 a day.. cash they are sticklers. 
the showers are hot and suprisingly good the bathrooms are cleaned nightly and well
the track staff are super friendly and love having a good time with customers after hours... they truly are characters though

i absolutely love the track, and about everything about it.   yes pitt is one of the best tracks in the country and my personal favorite  sure nelson has newer track surface  but ou asked about grattan so there a go

• Upvote 1

Whelp....gonna get one more shot at playing with a race car.  My friend is committed to finishing out the season at Watkins Glen for the Hilliard Vintage Grand Prix weekend Sept 9-12.  Hopefully no one throws a wrench in the plans 'cause this is gonna be a wee bit more 'spensive than Grattan, and another 3+ hours of driving each way.  Here's a short trailer on the back story of Mike Wright.  Not sure if the filming is done or if they'll still be shooting at WG....but I highly doubt I either I or Mike will have a fairy tale story and end up as ruggedly handsome mature film stars like Paul Newman or Steve McQueen.