Damn this sucks.

Trouble Maker

Actually took this picture about a month ago but am just getting around to posting it. For those of that don't know me, I own two cars. Here are both of them being worked on. :(

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid140/p1ebcfd709772a6cd1d3615a4e7c7e88e/f6f45c57.jpg

A wheel bearing went bad in the S4. This picture was taken a few days before I took it to a track day in Michigan on a Saturday. I got the bearing finished on the Friday night, got it aligned Saturday morning and then went to the track day. :eek:

I am overhauling the suspension on the Talon, poly graphite bushings all around, as well as rebuilding all of the brakes, all new wheel bearings, new hardware everywhere. Going to clean up all of the metal and paint it while I'm doing this too.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid139/p19862c156b7ac5b8653a655cd6abe0c2/f709474d.jpg

For anyone graemlins/gives.gif

Originally posted by Morgan:

thats funny, my drivers side front wheel bearing is on its way out as well.. how hard was the replacement?

Meh, not too bad. Never done one before and took me a few hours on Sunday and Thursday to take apart. Then got it back together very quickly on Friday.

It would have gone quicker if not for two things.

1) But a set of hex head sockets. I have them if you need to borrow some. You’ll eventually need them on that car anyways though. I got a smaller 3/8” drive 10 or so piece set and a larger 1/2” drive three piece set for something like $25 at Auto Zone.

2) I also ended up buying a two foot breaker bar. I had to stand on the end of it to get the axle bolt to break free. Spec. on the rear is 80ft-lb plus 180 degrees! It’s best to break it lose while the car is on the ground. You’re supposed to be able to do it in the rear with the tire off and the e-brake on, but I couldn’t. I had to put the tire back on and drop it back down.

3) The ABS sensor bolt broke, small hex bolt. Just far too much rust for that small of a bolt, snapped the shaft. My immediate thoughts were ‘Fuck’, then ‘Well there has to be a connector somewhere before this wire goes inside of the car’. Think again! I had to take the bottom of the back seat off where there was a connector for the ABS line. Then there was a Styrofoam grommet on the inside, a dead space, then another rubber grommet on the outside. I guess that just an FYI because you shouldn’t have to deal with this on the front. If the ABS sensor’s are like my Talon in the front (they were very similar in the rears), it should be much easier to get off once you get the bolt off. I’d bet the bolt is the same though so be careful.

4) The tapered portion of the shaft on the ball joint that is supposed to lock into the knuckle for the lower control arm didn’t stay locked. They did on my Talon as I was backing the bolt of so it wasn’t a problem. They didn’t on the S4. As soon as the bolt was backed off a little it came unseated and started to spin. I eventually got it off by very carefully using a pair of vice grips (as to not damage the threads) and when it got further off I had my uncle use a pickle fork that I beat to be skinnier to put force on the bolt outward. That took me a while to eventually get off. Went back on much easier, but before I put it back on I used some PB Blaster and kept threading it on and unthreading it, it would go a little more every time.

I’m not sure how the alignment is adjusted in the front, but try to mark anything wherever you need to. This can save you from messing up the alignment too much and needing an alignment afterwards. I didn’t worry about this when I was working on the car, just wanted to get it done. Hindsight, I needed one a little anyways. Results they gave me back had some of the other wheels out of spec too. It might not be a bad idea on your car if it hasn’t recently had one anyways.

Here’s what I ‘followed’ for my rears. I didn’t remove the RLCA bolt first so I couldn’t move the brake assembly without removing the brake fluid line. I’m also not sure how you can remove the break assembley like this suggest in the front due to not having something like a parking break up there. That made it really convenient, I’m not sure what you could do in the front. I couldn’t find a tech article for the fronts and I don’t know how much different they are. Do some searching around Audi World, that’s how I found that article.

Let me know if you'd like any help.

Originally posted by Nismo:

Nice rides

Thanks! smile.gif

Originally posted by B DUBS:

That thing is gonna be like new once you refurbish it ;)

Werd to yo momma, that's the idea. Do it right, do it once. Or if you do have to go back in and do anything it will be ALOT easier to do.

Originally posted by B DUBS:

How long has it been since that talon cruised the roads?

It last ran on a regular basis over a year ago, but hasn’t since mostly due to my laziness. That's when it started having trany problems. By deduction figured out it was the TCU, most likely leaky electrolytic caps. It in fact was and I replaced them but the problems continued. Replaced the ATF and filter, didn't fix it. Got a new (used) TCU and the exact same cap had leaked. Took the out of both boards and checked the continuity on some of the traces and my original board had been damaged by the leaky cap, but the new one was ok. Once I got that running it ran for right around two weeks and 1kmi. and slowly developed what seems to be an ignition miss that I don’t know for the life of me what the problem could be. Haven’t trouble shot, but just from the way it’s acting, I have no fn’ clue. Since it had been sitting while I was getting the trany figured out I replaced the wires and plugs. It’s sat for about a year since then because I got the S4 around then and just have been lazy. It actually moved from the side of the house to where it sits now under it’s own power just a few months ago, so I guess technically it does run. graemlins/lol.gif

P.S. UBB sucks donkey balls.

[ 20. October 2004, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: Neo ]

Originally posted by Chief Ponti-Yacker:

Dude.. Is your talon a 92??? I had a red 92 (bought it new back in 92) Got any other pics??? Man I miss my Talon!!!!

Yes it is a 92. Here are the few pics I have with my parent’s new camera recently up on jack stands. Hasn't been cleaned in VERY long time. Image Station is being dumb. You'll have to right click, copy the links, and open a new window if you want to view the original image, which are larger.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid139/pebd0616aecf426c28e640b783467ea31/f70947a1.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid139/p5e38f229f8130712189d5f9a4e6c5ad8/f7094804.jpg

Also a few with the old shitty camera after the first good cleaning and waxing after I bought it.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid58/p618c6b2e1f0ef28218d24ff8ac5b5f5b/fc62fe2c.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid58/pbc4eb3c20c78fab9f4460bbe3467428f/fc6300f2.jpg

An old sig, I wish I still had that original photo, I thought I did but couldn’t' find it.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid25/pcf9f86463867114da30aca01316a7982/fd8a1771.jpg