Spark Plug Thread Size

GRN96WS6

Does anyone know what size the spark plug threads in the head of a honda 1.5L motor out of an 89 civic are? If they are 12mm does anyone have any experience with this tool? I need to retap the threads in one of the cyclinders on a motor and don't want to remove the head if I don't have to.

TIA

Well the motor does have 194K on it so if it went it wouldn't be a huge loss. I can slap in a junkyard motor easy enough as I have a lift and stand. I just don't want to pull the head mainly because I have never done that before.

Also I only paid $500 for the car as it needed a clutch and two new axles, I discovered the spark plug hole when taking them out to inspect. :mad:

Its an 89 in ok shape but not something I want to spend a lot of time or money on as it has the cancer on the rear wheel wells as most hondas do. It needs a paint job as well.

I have heard that hooking up a shop vac to the exhaust on blow that it should blow out the shavings.

I will probably buy the tool I linked and try that. I was just curious if anyone had any insight other then taking the head off.

I would suggest making sure the piston is all the way up on that cylinder to avoid having shavings fall too far. There are a couple other rethreader that are cheaper too. In fact if I remember right, I think there might even be one that is specifically for spark plugs and does not require drilling made by helicoil or spriracoil

Guest racinbird

Yes, put a long skinny screwdriver in the cylinder hole, slowly crank it over BY HAND and stop when the screw drivers gets to its highest point. Tap it out.

I would really suggest compressed air to blow the shavings out. I know this will sound stupid, but if compressed air isnt ava. then put a long straw or rubber hose down the cylinder and , with your eyes closed, blow harder then you have before, I've heard it works, but never tried it. If that didn't seem to work then gray tape the straw end to the shop vac and suck out what you can. Good luck

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by racinbird:

Yes, put a long skinny screwdriver in the cylinder hole, slowly crank it over BY HAND and stop when the screw drivers gets to its highest point. Tap it out.

I would really suggest compressed air to blow the shavings out. I know this will sound stupid, but if compressed air isnt ava. then put a long straw or rubber hose down the cylinder and , with your eyes closed, blow harder then you have before, I've heard it works, but never tried it. If that didn't seem to work then gray tape the straw end to the shop vac and suck out what you can. Good luck

i had to do the sam thing on a 3.1 once it is tapped i used a small cloth wiht bearing grease on it it pick up all the lose shaving was able to get all of them out and the left over greased was burnt off the piston after startup.