what to do about paint cancer?

large_x7

You know, the little bubbles that form on your paint when you have rust brewing underneath.

I put a stock spoiler on my Mazda September of '03. I found out this weekend that it is leaking because the gaskets on it are old and bad. So I took off the spoiler to investigate the damage and the holes are all rusting out! I filed most of the surface rust out, but there is still some cancer left. (This is in an area that is covered by the spoiler still.) Not knowing what to do, I did a band-aid fix and applied some clear silicone around the holes, and reattached the spoiler. I don't want the cancer to turn into rust because it will most likely spread to the rest of the hatch. How do I prevent this from happening?

Also, where can I get some more gasket material to put in between the spoiler and the hatch? I checked at AutoZone and they didn't have any. Would a body shop carry that kind of thing? Thanks for your help.

Cause its not that bad (yet). It is only localized to under where the spoiler is, and the hatch is in otherwise good shape. By the time I buy one, pay for shipping, and then pay to have it painted (even if it's red it won't match right), then have it installed, it won't be worth the time or the money. If I can fix the hatch I have, I would rather do that.

A good body shop can match the pain man. Or you could grind the paint off, grind off the existing rust, then mask off the rest of the hatch then primer, paint and reinstall the spoiler with a proper seal. If it's ONLY under the spoiler, you should be alright.

Rick is probably right, but you could always try to fix it first. It's a lot cheaper that way if you are just doing it yourself.

Take a grinder to the rust, and get every last bit of it out of there. Wipe it clean with a towel or rag, then immidiately primer it. If the entire area in question will be hidden by the spoiler, I wouldnt worry about paint - just douse it with primer. Tape off anything you dont want primered, though.

I'm not sure what to suggest for a gasket. However, I would suggest checking it again in a few weeks to see if the rust is coming back. If so, new hatch.

alright i'll give youa hand on how i did my honda rust. held off for a while.

there is are two rust products at advanced. one is a rust remover and one is a rust converter.

use the rust remover after u take a dremel to the rust. then use the rust converter (this changes any remaining rust into black primer. then on top of that i used (rust tough primer) and sinc ei had holes i needed to use bondo too.

good luck. let me know if you need more details.

First, thanks for all the replies so quick. I've been busy trying to get the car running for this weekend. (Are you going, Berto?)

Second, the rust is not that bad. It is just starting to rust on the holes for the spoiler, and a little bit of cancer under the mounting surfaces. That's why I'm reluctant to replace the whole hatch. I might take it to work and have one of our paint guys look at it.