Exhaust Mod Question

Cleaner

I saw this video on www.youtube.com and am wondering if it will destroy the bike. Essentially the guy took a drill and drilled a hole inside his exhaust. It completely changed the sound for the better. Will this damage the bike or does it simply violate the emission code?

here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkGvVpfieRA

As for hurting the bike you'll be fine. Modern fuel injected bikes run a closed loop system using an O2 sensor to maintain the proper A/F ratio......to a point. The engine will spin up a bit quicker thus giving you a little more HP plus you get that nice throaty sound. But, if you really want the best exhaust sound you should just sell the CBR and buy a Ducati:D

Cleaner, my buddy I work with did that to his SV1000 a few years ago and he loves it. I think it's retarded though because he should just purchase a new one a long time ago, but it's his choice I guess.:nono::D

Well, I just ordered a Jardine exhaust slip-on and it cost a bit under $500. This mod you can do for under $50. If it won't damage my bike and adds a few horses, I don't see any reason NOT to do it. That way, instead of spending my money on an exhaust, I'll spend it on a PC III.

Cleaner

I pretty much did that with my bike. I took a hole saw, put it over the inner pipe (Stock 'Busa exhaust has an inner actual pipe, and an outer stainless cover) and sawed through the case, then I took the plasma, cut the pipe off below the plate, and shoved that pipe off to the side with a crow bar. no you can see straight through the can. Allot of people like it, it's very aggressive without being obnoxiously loud.

As for hurting the bike you'll be fine. Modern fuel injected bikes run a closed loop system using an O2 sensor to maintain the proper A/F ratio......to a point. The engine will spin up a bit quicker thus giving you a little more HP plus you get that nice throaty sound. But, if you really want the best exhaust sound you should just sell the CBR and buy a Ducati:D

Or an RC51.

O2 Sensors on bikes?? Ummmm....besides the BMW's and Buell's, which bikes would those be exactly?

O2 Sensors on bikes?? Ummmm....besides the BMW's and Buell's, which bikes would those be exactly?

Sorry, I'm used to Duc's. I researched it further and found that only the European CBR's use O2 sensors(see pic). So he's right, your bike(and i guess most US sold Jap bikes) are running open loop systems.

IMG_2258_R.jpg

Or an RC51.

Mmmmmmmmm....RC51 with SATO exhaust is the sweetest sound I've EVER heard when riding. I fell in love with that set-up on that bike 2 years ago when I rode the twisties with this 60year old corner carver from Brookville, down in N.E Ohio though the hills. That sucker was music to my ears.:bow:

The new 08 Busa has an O2 senser closed loop and I pretty sure the GSXR1Ks do also...

Back to the question.. I would tell anyone wanting to buy slip-ons to do this mod, save your $$$, then buy the full system. The cost difference between slip-ons and a full system can actually be minimal..