Watch out for Columbus highway patrol cop on I-71

Ratzo

Ya I know who that one is too. He does have something out for bike people it seems. But at the same time, hes doing his job. Hes probably not ticketing most of the bikes he stops, but I can assure you hes looking for other things from those stops. Improper displays are EASY targets for good stops. Stops to find people driving with no ops, suspended, warrants, drugs.. you name it.

Ive stopped a few bikes already this year, I didnt write any of them, but did tell them to stop acting stupid. One of them ran a railroad crossing, gates down, literally a couple SECONDS before the train flew by. He saw me in front of him and just pulled rite over before I even hit my lights.

I really think bikes are becoming more of a problem every year for everyone in general. Younger people are buying them, more are wrecking them, more are caught doing stupid shit. Lots are hearing stories of running from officers and getting away, or excessive speeding in large groups on busy roadways. Most people just dont give a shit anymore. 6 years ago when I started riding it wasnt anywhere near like it is today. 6 years ago to find ANYONE under 25 that had a bike was nearly impossible. Out of my group at the time I was the youngest person to have a bike.

I think as a group we need to educate our fellow riders on a lot of issues.

We all speed yes, but we dont always have to fly around cars and cause danger for others on the road. If youre going to do wheelies, do them on a good spot of road with no cars and AWAY from fellow riders for fuck sake.

Keep our bikes up to legal standards so we avoid attention (plates visible, plate lights, use signals when you know others can see you turn..)

Leave the cop hating out :thefinger:

Good post, John. It's on us as the riding community to police ourselves. If we don't, the politicians will, and we'll like the results even less.

I've been riding for 8 years and been stopped once by the police. I received a ticket for speed (still not sure how he got me, but whatever). Other than that one time, I have never been stopped and I don't have the police hassling me. I think it's more than just luck.

I'll admit, that I speed, but I don't haul ass at 100+ in traffic, weave in and out, and generally make a nuisance of myself. I try and keep my antics confined to places where no one will see me acting the fool.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple ?'s for everyone to ponder.

Why does it take over an hour in the middle of the night for a cop to respond when someone tries to steal my girls bike?

Why do I hear gunshots in my neighborhood and not hear sirens for 5-10 mins?

Why do they release an illegal immagrant that rearends my motorcycle with no license or insurance and gives them fake information?

When anyone can answer these questions with decent (non bs) answers then I will obey all traffic laws, quit bitching about speed traps and getting harassed about turnsignals, exhausts, and license plate locations

Why do they release an illegal immagrant that rearends my motorcycle with no license or insurance and gives them fake information?

This is a good one. I guess INS isn't interested in deporting everyone.

I say we shoot them instead.

I guess the cops have been very clear with their priorities. Once they eliminate the horrible, "plate is two inches low thing" then they can focus on drugs, murder, illegals. You know the little things

Most of the drug busts, captures of people on the run, etc, come from routine traffic stops.

This is a good one. I guess INS isn't interested in deporting everyone.

I say we shoot them instead.

build a fence! :villagers:

I guess the cops have been very clear with their priorities. Once they eliminate the horrible, "plate is two inches low thing" then they can focus on drugs, murder, illegals. You know the little things

Most of the drug busts, captures of people on the run, etc, come from routine traffic stops.

so let me make sure I have this right. Pull everyone over harass them and give them BS tickets and hope that they are drug smugglers that is a poor way to do police work.

so let me make sure I have this right. Pull everyone over harass them and give them BS tickets and hope that they are drug smugglers that is a poor way to do police work.

I've been riding for 8 years and been stopped once by the police. I received a ticket for speed (still not sure how he got me, but whatever). Other than that one time, I have never been stopped and I don't have the police hassling me. I think it's more than just luck.

I'm not just lucky.

There is a reason we, as sportbike riders, are targeted. Think about it.

lmao

Ya I know who that one is too. He does have something out for bike people it seems. But at the same time, hes doing his job. Hes probably not ticketing most of the bikes he stops, but I can assure you hes looking for other things from those stops. Improper displays are EASY targets for good stops. Stops to find people driving with no ops, suspended, warrants, drugs.. you name it.

Ive stopped a few bikes already this year, I didnt write any of them, but did tell them to stop acting stupid. One of them ran a railroad crossing, gates down, literally a couple SECONDS before the train flew by. He saw me in front of him and just pulled rite over before I even hit my lights.

I really think bikes are becoming more of a problem every year for everyone in general. Younger people are buying them, more are wrecking them, more are caught doing stupid shit. Lots are hearing stories of running from officers and getting away, or excessive speeding in large groups on busy roadways. Most people just dont give a shit anymore. 6 years ago when I started riding it wasnt anywhere near like it is today. 6 years ago to find ANYONE under 25 that had a bike was nearly impossible. Out of my group at the time I was the youngest person to have a bike.

I think as a group we need to educate our fellow riders on a lot of issues.

We all speed yes, but we dont always have to fly around cars and cause danger for others on the road. If youre going to do wheelies, do them on a good spot of road with no cars and AWAY from fellow riders for fuck sake.

Keep our bikes up to legal standards so we avoid attention (plates visible, plate lights, use signals when you know others can see you turn..)

Leave the cop hating out :thefinger:

Agreed. :)

I agree with dragknee, I try as a rider to keep myself in check. Wear my gear and not act an ass on the freeway. I might speed a little but I'm not out there stuntin or cutting across lanes. I think sometimes people get the impression if you ride a "Crotch Rocket" that your a punk or something.

I hope I get pulled over someday by dragknee. Just would be funny.

Freeway patrol does just this... freeway patrol. They dont need to do the little things. They are like the OSP of columbus highways.

You are rite about that. Its not like we can roll down the road and know exactly who to stop for drugs and such. (although sometimes you can smell it when driving behind them!)

I can say Ive done my fair share of stopping bikes already this year. I really never had intentions on doing so, but seeing some of these people do stupid shit just makes me stop them so I can yell :oops: Giving the good bikers bad names :nono:

And for the love of ohioriders... the next time Im down at the jail and see a freeway patrol unit I will ask them whats up with the stopping bikes thing they have going on. I see them alot at BP on 70 & Wilson as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Again watch out on the east side of 270 when you get to the Broad St overpass on up. Was out about 1am last night. After riding past Whiskeys on 161 on my way to 270 i seen alot of them up in that construction area (161&270). Today there was one sitting on the Broad st. overpass clocking people while the units on the freeway pulled them over..seen no less than 6 vehicles and 1 motorcyclist pulled over...not mine of course thank god. So beware fellow riders.

build a fence! :villagers:

2 words: Maginot Line :wink:

Think about it this way: traffic tickets are not about the cops being lazy, and not wanting to go on drug busts and illegal immigrant raids. It's about raising money. I'm sorry, but if you modify your bike to be illegal, what do you expect? A pat on the back?

Sure, sounds like that particular officer has a chip on his shoulder, I've found alot of them have Napoleon complexes. No offense to any officers out there, unless you are a police officer in either Doylestown or Wadsworth, Ohio. Then you can suck it :thefinger:

Seriously though...cops are people. People have prejudices and inclinations towards certain things just like everyone else. As long as he is not overstepping his boundaries, there is nothing that can be done, period. Just don't ride like a jackass on the freeway, unless your penis is so small that you have to do that to get by.

Look we all know they are out there. And we all know that we with motorcycles tend to ride fast and most of us know we will be ticketed if we are caught speeding. This is just a warning for those who will speed in the areas mentioned that i know where the cops are. And if bikes can be modified for more speed however little or more it will be done.....just the way it is.

I got the stop on 71N between morse and 161 a week or two ago. I was going under the limit in the far right lane during "rush hour" I got the riot act about my license plate position, "indicators", license plate light, yada yada yada. As I sat in the back of the cruiser. I thought I could see my plate very well and thought that the mighty sun was bright enough to illuminate the plate. Oh well I got no tickets and haven't rode since.

I think I am done with this shit, I am just going to drive the civic all the time.

I got the stop on 71N between morse and 161 a week or two ago. I was going under the limit in the far right lane during "rush hour" I got the riot act about my license plate position, "indicators", license plate light, yada yada yada. As I sat in the back of the cruiser. I thought I could see my plate very well and thought that the mighty sun was bright enough to illuminate the plate. Oh well I got no tickets and haven't rode since.

I think I am done with this shit, I am just going to drive the civic all the time.

What was his reason for you getting in the back of the cruiser?

The one time I ever got pulled over I found myself in the back of the cruiser too. I had accidentally left my license at home that day so they put me back there to verify my information.

Last year, I got a ticket from the police officer in the original post. I was speeding, 135 in a 65, he got me just south of Morse Rd, sitting between the merging lane, and the far right lane.

Heres the thing though. He was very, Very cool. He told me because I wasnt on 1 wheel, or weaving through traffic, and that the traffic was very light at that time, he wouldnt give me a ticket for reckless op. I asked for no favors, nor did I expect them. He did tell me he was a rider, and that he understands why I was going that fast, just that it IS against the law and I need to slow it down. I said, "yes sir". A phrase I first learned in the military, works well because you show respect. So I got my $150.00 speeding ticket and 2 points, but the officer really could have made life rough for me.

Funny thing though, he said he was suprised I didnt run. Even said the bike was nice. :banana:

What was his reason for you getting in the back of the cruiser?

The one time I ever got pulled over I found myself in the back of the cruiser too. I had accidentally left my license at home that day so they put me back there to verify my information.

I think he was just being nice so I could have a seat. It was hot out and I had the leather jacket on. I am not mad at the guy or anything, but not having your plate in the exact spot that it needs to be in and having it hidden are two completely different things. No my exaust is not factory but it is not as loud as any harley I have ever heard, so I would prefer to be left alone.

Laws are made for a reason, the license plate one is so it is visible to a cop that may need to identify you, that was the intent of the law nothing else. Some cops want to take every word in the ORC literally and not the intent of the law. Maybe I should do the same and write "the rear" on my bike and mount the plate there. Maybe I should rebadge my exhaust maybe something that says "factory pipe"

Maybe I am on to something. So I can say "it is a factory pipe" or "my plate is on the rear"

shit .....fuck that i am going to ride til the weather will not let me ride anymore. I refuse to be made to stop riding by anyone except myself. This is the kind of stuff i am talking about. If we bikers are speeding i dont argue that we should get a ticket. But for bullshit stuff like license plate mounting.....thats nuts!.