Mazdaspeed 6 (It's official)

Mallard

Originally posted by BiG BeN:

i don't get it...you mean as opposed to TBI? or is it on the other side of the valves or something?

fuel is directly injected into the combustion chamber as opposed to inside the intake port. It's a good thing since you don't have to worry about detonation as much (you can inject the fuel any time you want.) and it helps effeciency. smile.gif

Originally posted by controler:

Why does Mazda completely skip over the Rx8 when it would be easier to mod than the 6? Not to say the 6 doesn't look sweet or anything, and direct injection is a great progression expecially for gasoline turbo engines.

To get any power out of the rotary, they would have to go to forced induction. And their luck with forced induction hasn't exactly given the rotary a good name.

Originally posted by Mallard:

fuel is directly injected into the combustion chamber as opposed to inside the intake port. It's a good thing since you don't have to worry about detonation as much (you can inject the fuel any time you want.) and it helps effeciency. smile.gif

doesn't it also keep temps down? maybe i'm thinking of something they implemented on race cars but from what i understand the fuel forms kind of a boundary layer on the walls of the combustion chamber...

Originally posted by harry's94tsi:

NICE, i was surprised to see an AWD system. Mazda doesn't manufacture any other model as AWD do they??

In Japan the 6 can come with AWD, that's where they sourced it from and why they had to use the 4 cyl.

The RX8 is next on the list of Mazdaspeeds to come out. They have already had some test models given to magazines, but they only have the revised suspension, with the stock engine. I've heard a rumor of a s/c engine in the MS RX8

Originally posted by RX7dood:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Mallard:

doesn't it also keep temps down? maybe i'm thinking of something they implemented on race cars but from what i understand the fuel forms kind of a boundary layer on the walls of the combustion chamber...</font>I know nothing of this, it may or may not be true. The main advantage of DI is that you can run really high compression ratios because you don't have to worry about detonation. Compression ratio is directly linked with efficiency, so every little bit helps. The only thing to be afraid of is the amount of pressure a DI fuel rail requires. The diesels are around 27,000psi. I was driving one of these when the fuel rail came loose and sprayed the engine down pretty good with diesel. Not cool. Although if it makes production, the bugs will most likely be worked out, and hopefully all is good.

[ 10. October 2004, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: Mallard ]

To get any power out of the rotary, they would have to go to forced induction. And their luck with forced induction hasn't exactly given the rotary a good name.

This is true, however the Mazdaspeed Protoege and 6 are both forced induction. Their track record with forced induction rotaries isn't the best, but if they put some more R&D into it, they could figure something out--its all about controlling heat. But I still think they should do a NA 3-rotor or something with larger displacement, even if that means different sized rotors.

Originally posted by The Anti-Role Model:

That's Nissan who makes the Murano.

im a dumbass and your right. ;)

If DI allow's you to run really high compression ratio's on an N/A motor, then what would it do in a boost application? If D/I can take care of detonation then what's stopping one from turning up the boost (save for stronger internal's)? Detonation is the number one enemy of boosted motor's, so could this be an answer?

mallard, have you driven it yet?

Originally posted by harry's94tsi:

If DI allow's you to run really high compression ratio's on an N/A motor, then what would it do in a boost application? If D/I can take care of detonation then what's stopping one from turning up the boost (save for stronger internal's)? Detonation is the number one enemy of boosted motor's, so could this be an answer?

mallard, have you driven it yet?

Turning up the boost is just what is known as turning up dynamic compression of an engine. That 9.0:1 or 8.5:1 is just the static compression of your engine. So turning up the boost is the same thing as increasing the displacement and turning up the compression ratio.

I'm very skeptical (read, I don't believe it one bit) that DI can 'eliminate' detonation. It's just the way any gaseous combustible will work when compressed. As you compress the mixture, it WILL get hotter, eventually reaching the combustion temperature before it is supposed to. The propensity of this process to pre-detonation will only be reduced allowing a combination (or even only one of); higher compression, more timing, and/or higher boost. It does this by two main effects. First, since the fuel is directly injected by high pressures, the mixture is more homogenous, creating a more efficient use of the fuel and air present. Air that isn’t used during a combustion process will create even more heat in the combustion chamber and a higher propensity to detonate. Secondly, DI uses the timing of the fuel injection to create an air ‘curtain’ around the combustion mixture, which makes an insulating barrier between the fuel/air mixture and the sides of the combustion chamber. This will mean that, theoretically the combustion process will not heat up the sides of the combustion chamber. Thereby eliminating theses pieces of metal to be a possible source of detonation, further eliminating the propensity of the combustion process to pre-detonate. If I’m remembering the article I read correctly, it does this by stopping the injector before the end of the ‘suck’ stroke and sucks air in. The way it comes in from the intake port causes it to ‘swirl’ around the sides of the combustion chamber.

I’m not trying to start an argument, this is just what little I understand about the combustion process, pre-detonation, and DI. I just don’t see how the concept of pre-detonation can be totally eliminated for any gaseous combustible. If I’m wrong in any of this Mallard, please correct me.