Nelson Ledges Fun Days

AudiOn19s

Can anyone tell me the format and rules and regulations for these Fun Days. I know there's one coming up on June 17 but I'm not certain what does and does not go on at these fun days.

I tried to find information on their web site but it's been down for forever and a day. Just looking to see what I should expect for track time...if passengers are allowed, ect.

Andy

Guest doggunracing
Hmm, no tech and very few rules. You need some sort of helmet, that's it. Depending on the number of drivers there, they may or may not have separate beginner and advanced run groups. It is $120 to run all day, usually in 20 or 30 minute heats. It's a LOT of track time, especially for the money. I believe passengers are only allowed for the first warm-up heat, and I'm not even sure about that one. It's in the middle of nowhere, but they recently repaved the corners and is in pretty good shape. The facilities are next to nill, though, so bring any food, drink, chairs, grill, etc. that you need.

Tanks for the replies guys...I'll be taking the M3...and actually I'm trying to get more seat time for my wife more than myself. We did the Tracquest DE at Mid Ohio last week and my wife is hooked but she's just not 100% comfortable with the limits of the car yet which is why I'm hoping that Nelson allows passengers for the fun days in order for her to ride with me and me with her to get her to better explore the limits of the car. She kept getting frustrated at Mid Ohio because trying to learn a very technical course while being unfamilier with the limits of the car was a little bit of information overload for her...she still had a great time but I think that she'd benefit from some more seat time learning the car.

No matter how much her instructor or I told her that she could push the car harder she knew in the back of her mind that she'd have to drive the car to work the next day and didn't want to get in over her head...(better safe than sorry I suppose) but she was over 40 seconds a lap off of my pace...so eek...she needs a little more work.

Andy

They allow passengers, I have had/ and riden in many cars up there.Its a blast, but its more of a higher speed track, with no elevation changes to speak of, so its not to technical, and should be good for your wife.

Take her to an autocross now! That's a very easy place to learn the limits and behavior of the car.

I haven’t ridden Ledges or walked it, but I'm not sure how much of a 'learner' track it is. A lot less daunting than M-O, for sure. Although they are farther, and I've told you this before too, I'd like to reiterate it. Beaver Run and Gingerman are VERY good tracks to learn the behavior and limits of your car and get comfortable with driving fast.

I’m sure ledges wouldn’t hurt, but imho, one of those other places would be better for her right now. FYI, I was able to keep the car in third at Gingerman, helped me to concentrate on everything else. That place is far though. Beaver Run probably isn’t that much farther than Nelson Ledges. Maybe 2.5 hour as compared to 1.5?

My brother did a track day on the bike at Beaver the same day we did Mid Ohio and gave the same feedback...so I'll check into both of them. What I liked about the possibility of Nelson is that it's a cheap way to get out there and teach her the best I can before paying full price again for her to be in the car with an instructor...

Auto-X is coming very soon as well.

Andy

IMO Mid Ohio is a better track to learn on than Nelson. Nelson is a very fast track, and the last time I was there, little safety. too many trees too close to the track for my liking.

Mid Ohio is a pretty safe track and is slower than Nelson. I have not been to Beaver or Gingerman yet.

Originally posted by Rally Red Evo:

IMO Mid Ohio is a better track to learn on than Nelson. Nelson is a very fast track, and the last time I was there, little safety. too many trees too close to the track for my liking.

Mid Ohio is a pretty safe track and is slower than Nelson. I have not been to Beaver or Gingerman yet.

As far as learning experinces go, Beaverun > Mid Ohio. In fact, I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite among the two now that I'm experienced on both. You need to lap the beaver. ;)

track wise, Beaver Run is def. a beginers course, lots of runoff room and the walls arent too close to the track. Its almost a 3 hour drive from Columbus. If I was just getting started I dont think I would choose mid ohio, especially if it is raining, never ran on Nelson though.