What to look for in a ported TB? - no 56k!

MrMeanGreen

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Relegate:

Yes you did, you took once post that was completely different, changed it, and posted a second one also. tongue.gif

The gains of a ported stock throttle body are in the vicinity of 5-8HP. It depends heavily on the setup. I'm talking a "stage 2" throttle body, since the stage 1 really has nothing done to it. You benefit from the increased efficiency, but lose by having the same bore size.

The biggest problem I see here Nate, is that you do not understand how the aftermarket automotive retail market works. You take the fact that a company does not include something as a sign that it's not necessary. Wrong. tongue.gif

95$ could have gone to some water injection....

As far as the aftermarket world..

I'm not in it. So I can't say amything. White Flag on that point.

Hey Christopher....

http://www.accufabracing.com/

"After much research and development, we have created our first throttle body specifically for the Chevrolet Camaro. These cars are hot and hot cars deserve a great throttle body! Your LS1 Camaro will benefit greatly from our newest addition, a 75mm throttle body, available for only $399.99. Although the stock and Accufab throttle body are the same size, 75mm, Accufab flows 922 cfm compared to stock which flows 798 cfm. Dyno test results, with an Accufab throttle body on a stock vehicle, have shown a 6 to 9 horsepower increase"

Damn...still the stock bore....

You ain't owned shit.

You didn't read a fucking word I said, did you?

You just proved my point, you fucking idiot.

This is why I recommended the second throttle body. It is obvious to me that MUCH more care and attention was taken to improving the shape of the throttle body for the sake of efficiency, and not just hogging it out.

Now we're back to the same argument that I win anyway.

How do you work on cars? I mean really, if you have no concept of any of this, how can you recommend performance solutions for people?

Now we're back to the same argument that I win anyway.

How do you work on cars? I mean really, if you have no concept of any of this, how can you recommend performance solutions for people?

Same way aftermarket companies sell parts that "aren't needed".

Originally posted by n8:

What is this win/lose thing?

You have some personal issues my friend.

Because I win. I do, I really do. I win and that makes me a winner. I win! :D

Originally posted by n8:

So are you still an authorized performance solution giver still?

No, I work in the department of redundancy department. graemlins/lol.gif

I win again! I win because I win! :D

OK, lets make it simple. Forced induction motor, bigger is better, bigger TB, bigger intake runners, overkill port job on the heads.

Reason is this, you don't have to worry about a vacuum signal to a carb to get it to meter fuel correctly. Partly because it's always going to have a positive absolute pressure (not gauge) remember that any vacuum reading closer to 0 than what the motor would show in an N/A configuration is positive pressure, even if it's not a positive boost PSI number on a gauge. (Anthony, remember our discussion at the house.) Best money spent is on the BIGGER TB, ported or not. If $500 buys you a ported measured 75 MM TB or a unported 85 MM TB go with the 85 MM.

Porting TB's is NOT porting heads. If one gets overzealous where the butterfly meets the wall of the TB, you will have air leaks, running a blower just multiplies this, and the fucker will NEVER idle right. If you just gotta have it a ported piece, get one that is CNC ported from a pro shop or manufacture. Dave, your a smart guy, but I got to disagree with you on the dremel tool thing here. It's too damn easy to screw up a TB dicking with a dremel around it. And with the air being pushed into it, istead of being sucked in, the change in ability for it to flow is not going to be improved by simply "Porting" it unless the butterfly diameter is increased. Unless of course there is a restriction in the flow path that is less of a diameter than the butterfly. But I am yet to see a throttle body that has a design like that.

Now as far as the two that you have pics of. It's almost a toss up. The top one looks to be hand ported, and may leak air at idle. Causing odd problems. The one on the bottom, with the mods done tothe way th butterfly is mounted scares me if it's not done right. Going back to the forced induction design of your motor. You don't, as far as I know, have a BOV, or some means of dumping the boost when you come off the throttle quickly, so you are deadheading the pressure against the butterfly, which is going to be at a HIGHER pressure than your max boost pressure, because you have very little flow but eh blower is still going to be at speed, so a poorly mounted butterfly, or a modded throttle shaft, that's been thinned out to increase flow could possibly mechanically fail. Or course this could result in anything from a sever lean condition, to a stuck throttle. (Which is always good for sucking the foam rubber out of your seat and right up your ass. smile.gif ) I am really not trying to discourage you, I just don't want to see you spend hard earned money and not get better performance of worse yet, get something that could have hidden dangers.

I agree with everything Keith says. However, I believe there is an art to porting a throttle body just as well as there is an art to porting heads.

A nicely "ported" 75mm throttle body can provide similar gains as a "stock" 85mm throttle body. But the quality of the work is job 1. In the end, a 75mm throttle body still can only flow x amount of air and an "85mm" throttle body can flow x amount more. That is a fact. But depending on the setup, gains can be similar between the two by improving the efficiency of the airflow of the 75mm over the "stock" 85mm.