Whats the deal with everyone and 240's

Veritas

lately i've noticed a lot of people seem to be interested in picking up 240's for some reason. Is there something that i missed happening that has some kind of appeal to this car now

anyways was just wondering if i was missing some big picture.

t.c.

pick up a magazine (one with big wheels and a girl on the front) and find out. it got cool all the sudden for some damn reason.

edit: i think i remember when it really got popular,SCC did an article where they "built" a "silvia" for "$5000". since then people actually think it's possible to have a good looking,reliable powerful, car for under 5k.it's like the holy grail that more often than not turns out to be the white whale.

I think its because, lets take a honda and drop a $2,000 motor in it. Now you have an alright handling car with...??? Suspension low hp low torque and everyone hates you.

If you were going import you have a couple other options for decent cars, 1st gen eclipse Rx-7 Mr2, 300zx etc. Most of wich cost a shitload one that I don't like the looks of. Most 240sx in great body condition with a blown head run around $750 Sr20 is around 1,900. The car already handles and brakes pretty damn good. The S-13 SR20 can do what like 13-14psi rated at around 250rwhp. Wich means provided on rather or not you put the engine in yourself you payed 3'gs for a low 14 high 13 second car?

Personally I love the way they look, especially S-15 silvia's there is an option to get that front clip along with many others, the S-13 sr20 isn't the only option. S-13 red top, black top. Supposedly the S-14 has like 20 more hp. And the S-15 is a 6-speed tranny that can make 300rwhp on stock internals with upped boost safe. Not to mention all the other engine and front cilp options, RB20-26det(t), the 300zx motors(Dunno the engine code) the CA18det(I think?) I believe there is a Sr20VET I can't remember but this is just a great fun car. RWD is a plus, there are so many options and so much aftermarket following for each option, while drifting is fun you can drift in pretty much any car so. There was a s-14 model 240sx out friday with us and he was probably one of the two fastest cars there(Besides anthony who I didn't see run.)

Also most 240sx owners arn't ricers and don't get flamed for owning a 240sx. My oppinion. Oh yea, and they weigh a whopping 2,600lbs?

It's RWD, cheap, and has a good turbo motor to swap in. More people are seeking the advantages of RWD, and they are finding that the 240 has great potential and it's in the same price range as other FWD imports.

Originally posted by Hoosier Daddy:

It's RWD, cheap, and has a good turbo motor to swap in. More people are seeking the advantages of RWD, and they are finding that the 240 has great potential and it's in the same price range as other FWD imports.

Couldn't have said it better. graemlins/thumb.gif Because in fact that was exactly what I did. Realized how bad it sucked trying to get front wheel traction at the track, then looked around for a cheap RWD import. Then came to find out there are very good endless swaps you can do, or you can use the engines that come in the car and turbo them, which believe it or not, are very good engines as well.

Personally, I want to get the hatchback version of it, and eventually a junked version of the coupe as well, to put the front end of it on the hatchback, because I just like the look of the Japanese Sil80, which is the Silvia's front, and the 180's rear. That combined with price, and it being good for drift makes it seem like a pretty attractive car to pick up.

(Looks may not be the #1 reason to go for a car, but I'm tired of driving ugly cars that don't suit me, so...)

By the way, if you thinking about picking one up. I know mine is an auto but it runs pefect and best I can tell if you buy an sr20 its easy as hell to convert to a manual. However, I have a 5-spd so I figure launch the auto=more shit for the 5-spd :-p.

Guest jpurdy2003
An unfortunate byproduct of the 240SX bandwagon is that they are becoming overpriced. I remember a couple years ago you could pick up a running, rough-around-the-edges 240SX that would be a good daily driver for under a grand. Now, you're lucky if you can find one that runs for $1500.

Originally posted by Rane:

I think its because, lets take a honda and drop a $2,000 motor in it. Now you have an alright handling car with...??? Suspension low hp low torque and everyone hates you.

If you were going import you have a couple other options for decent cars, 1st gen eclipse Rx-7 Mr2, 300zx etc. Most of wich cost a shitload one that I don't like the looks of. Most 240sx in great body condition with a blown head run around $750 Sr20 is around 1,900. The car already handles and brakes pretty damn good. The S-13 SR20 can do what like 13-14psi rated at around 250rwhp. Wich means provided on rather or not you put the engine in yourself you payed 3'gs for a low 14 high 13 second car?

Personally I love the way they look, especially S-15 silvia's there is an option to get that front clip along with many others, the S-13 sr20 isn't the only option. S-13 red top, black top. Supposedly the S-14 has like 20 more hp. And the S-15 is a 6-speed tranny that can make 300rwhp on stock internals with upped boost safe. Not to mention all the other engine and front cilp options, RB20-26det(t), the 300zx motors(Dunno the engine code) the CA18det(I think?) I believe there is a Sr20VET I can't remember but this is just a great fun car. RWD is a plus, there are so many options and so much aftermarket following for each option, while drifting is fun you can drift in pretty much any car so. There was a s-14 model 240sx out friday with us and he was probably one of the two fastest cars there(Besides anthony who I didn't see run.)

Also most 240sx owners arn't ricers and don't get flamed for owning a 240sx. My oppinion. Oh yea, and they weigh a whopping 2,600lbs?

This is an example of the people that buy them now. No offence rane, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but lack of info is a downfall.

All of the sr20det are similar internally and will handle over 400whp if not beaten to shit in their past jdm life. The only difference between the s14 and s13 motors is the turbo, you gain a bb turbo that is slightly larger, not really worth the price if you plan to upgrade. The s15 6 speed is weaker than the 5 speed due to the fact that they tried to cram another gear in a similar space...not much of an advantage. S15 motor also comes with variable valve timing that is usually bypassed once real power is made anyway. You CAN NOT build a decent s13 for under 3k even if the car is free. most of the places claiming cheap motors are prone to not delivering zerolift comes instantly to mind. After that you have to buy a fuel pump, downpipe and exhaust or you will choke the poor motor to shit. even through very reputable sources like HT, you may be missing "bonus" pieces like the stock ic and sometimes even stuff like the accordian hose. You will probably have to do a clutch right off the bat too. Even if you do all of the work yourself, Plan on 4k + car as a minimum, even of you are crafty. I have done/ aided in this swap 3 times along with 3 ca18det swaps, I would also like to believe it is super cheap and painless, but it isnt. The motor install isnt bad, every thing after is.....

Guest jpurdy2003
Originally posted by Mud Butt:

This is an example of the people that buy them now. No offence rane, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but lack of info is a downfall.

You CAN NOT build a decent s13 for under 3k even if the car is free. most of the places claiming cheap motors are prone to not delivering zerolift comes instantly to mind. After that you have to buy a fuel pump, downpipe and exhaust or you will choke the poor motor to shit. even through very reputable sources like HT, you may be missing "bonus" pieces like the stock ic and sometimes even stuff like the accordian hose. You will probably have to do a clutch right off the bat too. Even if you do all of the work yourself, Plan on 4k + car as a minimum, even of you are crafty. I would also like to believe it is super cheap and painless, but it isnt. The motor install isnt bad, every thing after is.....

The same could be said for many honda swaps. The magazines convince these kids that it's cheap and easy, and it is neither. You will find numerous headaches in all the other various crap in the engine bay, everything from cooling, power steering, exhaust routing, clutches, trannies, other driveline parts, and any numerous little brackets and pieces. My SE-R swap taught me this valuable lesson.

the guy you're thinking of richochet i helped him put his transmission back in at like, 530 in the morning lol. he kept posting on here for help and i was like ''well fuck it im up and he needs help'' went over, helped hold it up and push it in and bam tranni in. sucker was heavy as hell tho. i like how they look and all but im more of a hatch type guy....

so has anyone here ever looked at swapping in the 300z n/a motor into one of these bad boys

i'm looking at a couple different options because it's a little venture me and my girl are doing together and since we both know jack about them, figured that id pool info from you guys here.

t.c.

Originally posted by Mud Butt:

All of the sr20det are similar internally and will handle over 400whp if not beaten to shit in their past jdm life. The only difference between the s14 and s13 motors is the turbo, you gain a bb turbo that is slightly larger, not really worth the price if you plan to upgrade. The s15 6 speed is weaker than the 5 speed due to the fact that they tried to cram another gear in a similar space...not much of an advantage. S15 motor also comes with variable valve timing that is usually bypassed once real power is made anyway. You CAN NOT build a decent s13 for under 3k even if the car is free. most of the places claiming cheap motors are prone to not delivering zerolift comes instantly to mind. After that you have to buy a fuel pump, downpipe and exhaust or you will choke the poor motor to shit. even through very reputable sources like HT, you may be missing "bonus" pieces like the stock ic and sometimes even stuff like the accordian hose. You will probably have to do a clutch right off the bat too. Even if you do all of the work yourself, Plan on 4k + car as a minimum, even of you are crafty. I have done/ aided in this swap 3 times along with 3 ca18det swaps, I would also like to believe it is super cheap and painless, but it isnt. The motor install isnt bad, every thing after is.....

that info isn't all right either. the S13's are high port engines that favor a higher powerband in stock form while the S14/S15's are a low port,and both have the VCT that advances the intake cam 20 degrees in the meat of the powerband to add a little grunt lost to the lowport design,and larger turbo.the S14/S15 turbos are very similiar aside from the S15's divides turbine housing and inconel exhaust wheel. the S15 also has a better ignition,bigger injectors,the 6speed,and a helical LSD.the 6speed isn't really all that weak either.it's been proven to 400hp,the main reason they are swapped in favor of the 5speed is replacement cost.and drifters bust up the 5speeds quite often as well.

Guest Ranger_Man
Originally posted by Veritas:

so has anyone here ever looked at swapping in the 300z n/a motor into one of these bad boys

yes and its pointless. if you put anything in that car other than a KA or SR it needs to be a RB or any v8 you want. however, for now, keep it as a daily driver until you fix your rx7.

another option you have, if you got it on the cheap, is to swap in a freshened up KA and sell it for twice as much (if not more) than you paid for it.

yeah the rx-7 needs roughly 2200 to get what i want for the engine, once i get it tho life will be good.

on the flip side aaron how come you never did any huge performance things to your car like a turbo or anything like that?

Guest doggunracing
Originally posted by Veritas:

the guy you're thinking of richochet i helped him put his transmission back in at like, 530 in the morning lol. he kept posting on here for help and i was like ''well fuck it im up and he needs help'' went over, helped hold it up and push it in and bam tranni in. sucker was heavy as hell tho.

Good times, good times.

Originally posted by Ricochet:

This model looks 10x better. Somebody on here has one that looks just like this:

http://www.soc.hawaii.edu/leonj/leonj/459s97/bacala/icons/240sx.jpg

...with a few upgrades:

Originally posted by BiG BeN:

that info isn't all right either. the S13's are high port engines that favor a higher powerband in stock form while the S14/S15's are a low port,and both have the VCT that advances the intake cam 20 degrees in the meat of the powerband to add a little grunt lost to the lowport design,and larger turbo.the S14/S15 turbos are very similiar aside from the S15's divides turbine housing and inconel exhaust wheel. the S15 also has a better ignition,bigger injectors,the 6speed,and a helical LSD.the 6speed isn't really all that weak either.it's been proven to 400hp,the main reason they are swapped in favor of the 5speed is replacement cost.and drifters bust up the 5speeds quite often as well.

I do stand corrected. But the fact remains that it isnt the cheap swap everyone thinks it is. I dont know everything about the motor because I dont own or plan to own one. I have read some stuff in passing, but apparently some of it wrong.