Picked up a new ride.

Kuruma

Picked up a new ride yesterday afternoon. A black 1988 Mazda RX-7 convertible. Its not the best looking 'vert out there right now, but hey, us poor people can get ahold of nice toys to play with too... smile.gif

So far, my impression of the RX-7 is that driving it can get pretty addictive.

Congrats! My first RX-7 was an 88 vert. I loved it and the only reason i sold it was to build my house.

A few facts to know:

Yes, Mazda made Turbo II convertibles, named Savana, only in the Japanese, European, and Austrailian markets. There are a few in the states.

If you are planning to mod the car:

Don't even bother to think you can add a turbo to your car. The 6-port motor will only have nominal gains in HP. It is FAR cheaper and easier to just swap a TII drivetrain in.

You cannot put a straight through exhaust on it, as the 6-ports need back-pressure to open.

If you car still has the stock pre-cat and cat, I would recommend removing the pre-cat and install a down-pipe, and a high flow cat (if neccessary). These will actually extend the life of your motor due to heat and pressure relief.

The wiper switch and the A/C controls (logicon) are notorious for taking dumps. Dealer prices on these components are insane. Some people on Teamfc3s and RX7club forums actually repair them.

The vert top motor is also insanely expensive. The top will operate manually with no problems.

If you have any questions about your car, or need advice, let me know.

Again, congrats!

Michael

Originally posted by Rotarded:

Congrats! My first RX-7 was an 88 vert. I loved it and the only reason i sold it was to build my house.

A few facts to know:

Yes, Mazda made Turbo II convertibles, named Savana, only in the Japanese, European, and Austrailian markets. There are a few in the states.

If you are planning to mod the car:

Don't even bother to think you can add a turbo to your car. The 6-port motor will only have nominal gains in HP. It is FAR cheaper and easier to just swap a TII drivetrain in.

You cannot put a straight through exhaust on it, as the 6-ports need back-pressure to open.

If you car still has the stock pre-cat and cat, I would recommend removing the pre-cat and install a down-pipe, and a high flow cat (if neccessary). These will actually extend the life of your motor due to heat and pressure relief.

The wiper switch and the A/C controls (logicon) are notorious for taking dumps. Dealer prices on these components are insane. Some people on Teamfc3s and RX7club forums actually repair them.

The vert top motor is also insanely expensive. The top will operate manually with no problems.

If you have any questions about your car, or need advice, let me know.

Again, congrats!

Michael

Man I got a lot of respect for you rotary guys.. I don't know jack about rotarys

A TII would be quicker, but for $500, who can complain, right? :D

AFIAK the car is all stock, but I plan to lightly modify it for a little more power, and just have fun with it while I clean it up and take the time to decide if I want to do the whole TII swap or just buy a TII and swap the NA motor into my AE86 (Yes, I know it's costly to do that, but a rotary AE86 would be fun.) smile.gif Thanks for the info on that, Rotarded. :D

Originally posted by 151:

Rotary AE86? graemlins/nonono.gif

Hey, don't laugh. It wouldn't be the first time someone did it, nor would it be the last. The tired 4A-C engine's going to blow up on my AE86 sooner or later anyway with it (it isn't running right as it is.) having over 260K on it already, and so far I like the way the 13B rotary feels and responds to the accelerator.

A conservatively setup NA 13B (Most likely one from an S4 RX-7, like my 'vert) would provide just the right amount of power for the car, not too much to send it out of control, and not too little (like the current 4A-C motor) so that the car drags it's ass getting up to speed. Even an S5 13B wouldn't be overkill, and would likely be pretty speedy for a car that weighs in around 2200lbs stock.

It's not the most ridiculous idea either, some crazy austrailian guy went to the trouble of putting a 1UZFE into an AE86, and others have swapped in SR20DET and 1G-GTE engines. There's even chatter of swapping in american small block V8 engines. Nothing wrong with being different.

Thanks for the URL Veritas :D most other rotary owners seem pretty cool. First repair on my list is gonna be the shifter bushings, and the windshield smile.gif

Guest GSRchick714
Originally posted by Venom:

Just the fact that she even knew that is really cool. Even though she spelled "tried" wrong its all good.

Oops! graemlins/doh.gifgraemlins/lol.gif

But yea Kuruma...can't beat $500!! Good luck with any swaps you do! smile.gif

Originally posted by Kuruma:

Hey, don't laugh. It wouldn't be the first time someone did it, nor would it be the last. The tired 4A-C engine's going to blow up on my AE86 sooner or later anyway with it (it isn't running right as it is.) having over 260K on it already, and so far I like the way the 13B rotary feels and responds to the accelerator.

A conservatively setup NA 13B (Most likely one from an S4 RX-7, like my 'vert) would provide just the right amount of power for the car, not too much to send it out of control, and not too little (like the current 4A-C motor) so that the car drags it's ass getting up to speed. Even an S5 13B wouldn't be overkill, and would likely be pretty speedy for a car that weighs in around 2200lbs stock.

It's not the most ridiculous idea either, some crazy austrailian guy went to the trouble of putting a 1UZFE into an AE86, and others have swapped in SR20DET and 1G-GTE engines. There's even chatter of swapping in american small block V8 engines. Nothing wrong with being different.

Thanks for the URL Veritas :D most other rotary owners seem pretty cool. First repair on my list is gonna be the shifter bushings, and the windshield smile.gif

odd motor swaps are great. like the datsun 240 ( think) that had the vortech lt1 shoved in it.

with enough duct tape and welding, anything is posible