Remote mounting STS turbo Camaro/Trans-Am

girlygirl18t

I just read an article on the STS rear mounting turbo. it's sooo bad ass. It adds major hp and torque for about $4000.00 and replaces your stock muffler. it sounds pretty easy to install. They only make it for the following cars/trucks:

LT1 Camaro/Trans-Am - $3795 MSRP

LS1 Camaro/Trans-Am - $3995 MSRP

Chevrolet/GMC/Cadillac Trucks - $3995 MSRP

Chevrolet/GMC/Cadillac SUVs - $3995 MSRP

Toyota Tundra - $3995 MSRP

Toyota Tacoma - $3595 MSRP

see the info below....

Ease of installation. STS turbo systems can be installed in 4-6 hours with standard tools and average mechanical ability.

Performance Sound. The turbo acts as a muffler and sounds like an aftermarket performance muffler. Turbo spool and rushing air from the blow-off valve make a unique sound that will turn heads!

No need for major modifications to your vehicle. STS systems are designed to bolt on using factory mounts without cutting or modifying your vehicle.

Increased gas mileage. Unlike a belt driven supercharger, the turbo utilizes "wasted" energy leaving your tailpipe. Most of our customers get 2-4 mpg increase in gas mileage.

Lower underhood temperatures. No need to worry about melting wires, hoses, or other components.

Easily converts back to stock in less than an hour.

More room under the hood. Future repair work or modifications will not require the expense of removing the turbo system to allow access to any of the engine components.

Cooler oil to the turbo. Cool oil is better for both the turbo and engine.

Approximately 500F lower turbo temperatures. Eliminates the need for a turbo-timer, which allows the engine to run after the car is shut off in order to cool down the turbo and prevent oil and bearing damage.

Denser exhaust gasses drive the turbo turbine wheel more efficiently.

Built-in intercooling. Intake piping provides ~50% intercooler efficiency. There is no need for the expense, pressure drop, and installation problems associated with a front mounted intercooler.

Turbo is exposed to ambient air rather than underhood air. Allows for better cooling of turbo components.

No need for expensive headers, mufflers, or exhaust systems.

Turbo is closer to the tail pipe outlet. Provides a better pressure differential across the turbine wheel which promotes better flow across turbine.

Better weight transfer. Increases traction because the bulk of system is mounted in rear of vehicle rather than up front.

Less noise in the passenger compartment.

Quieter wastegates, especially if vented to atmosphere.

Better engine cooling capacity

the video of the Z28 is wicked it sounded like a jet.

www.ststurbo.com

Yeah I read it. There's a lot I don't agree with in their explanations. I understand how a turbo works, and this just makes the turbo easier to bolt on. Mounting a turbo further back, or making a turbo run cooler, or basically the majority of the things they talk about, will not add power, it will actually decrease it. If you understand how a turbo works, then you know that it uses the heat from your exhaust to spin an impeller on the intake. If you reduce the amount of heat, you reduce the speed of the impeller. Denser air will make the turbo run more efficiently, that is true, but not if it has cooled significantly. You take the same turbo and mount it closer to the engine, and it will make more power, and spool faster.

Originally posted by Mensan:

Yeah I read it. There's a lot I don't agree with in their explanations. I understand how a turbo works, and this just makes the turbo easier to bolt on. Mounting a turbo further back, or making a turbo run cooler, or basically the majority of the things they talk about, will not add power, it will actually decrease it. If you understand how a turbo works, then you know that it uses the heat from your exhaust to spin an impeller on the intake. If you reduce the amount of heat, you reduce the speed of the impeller. Denser air will make the turbo run more efficiently, that is true, but not if it has cooled significantly. You take the same turbo and mount it closer to the engine, and it will make more power, and spool faster.

They also mentioned modding the turbo itself to compensate for the change in physics due to it's remote location.

Somewhere in there mentions the inability to take an off-the-shelf turbo and bolt it in place due to these physical modifications.

So by definition, you are correct about the loss of efficiency. However, it seems they've taken the appropriate steps to compensate for that smile.gif

Ok, I believe that it is a VERY bad idea to put the turbo where they put it, and would never get that product. However, is there anyone that has used this thing and gotten good results? Like someone on COFBA or any other f-body websites, or someone with their own website, who appear to be fairly unbiased who have used this thing with good results?

I don't expect anyone will actually show dyno graphs that show good results, because I don't think there are any out there, but I figured I'd ask first.

There are a number of people who swear by this setup. One of the STS cars were in GMHTP last issue.

There are a couple cars making good power w/ it; in the 700HP range. That said those cars don't fully spool until 4500RPM or so. Even on a stock car running low boost, it still has a bit of lag.

Basically, the system DOES work, but there are much better alternatives. Check this out:

http://www.forcedinductions.com/GMkits.htm

For basically the same price, you can get a PTK intercooled kit with a T70. A lot of people really like this kit, and it works well. I can't understand why you would want an STS kit when you could go with a PTK kit for the same money.

Originally posted by Nitrousbird:

There are a couple cars making good power w/ it; in the 700HP range. That said those cars don't fully spool until 4500RPM or so. Even on a stock car running low boost, it still has a bit of lag.

A turbo correctly sized for 700hp on a 5.7L engine spooling up at 4500rpm is horrible. That's quite a bit of displacement to spool the turbo up.

What's the stock rev limiter on the LS1 (in f-body or Corvette's)? I'm just wondering on a totally stock car how long you'd be in full boost for. I'm guessing its low enough that when you shift your below 4500rpm's again.

[ 12. December 2004, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: Neo ]

Originally posted by Neo:

A turbo correctly sized for 700hp on a 5.7L engine spooling up at 4500rpm is horrible. That's quite a bit of displacement to spool the turbo up.

What's the stock rev limiter on the LS1 (in f-body or Corvette's)? I'm just wondering on a totally stock car how long you'd be in full boost for. I'm guessing its low enough that when you shift your below 4500rpm's again.

Approx 6k. But on a stock car w/ stock CR (or hell, even w/ hogged out heads), the STS kit won't lag to 4500.....most likely to about 3500, which of course is below the shift points.

On the bigger setups, it isn't as bad since most of those folks are runnning auto's w/ big stalls, which keeps the car better into the boost. Still, the same cars would simply run quicker w/ a PTK kit for the same $$.

Guest mudbutt
the stuff about modified turbo is bs. It may have a smaller a/r exhaust housing than usual but the fact remains that the placement is horrible. Another thing is that with the "remote mounting" you expose the turbo to all of the elements. a piece of cast iron can only take so much being soaked with water while at 1400degrees before cracking. If this idea were so great, it would have been done ages ago because it sure as hell isnt hard to do.

Originally posted by Mensan:

... If you understand how a turbo works, then you know that it uses the heat from your exhaust to spin an impeller on the intake. If you reduce the amount of heat, you reduce the speed of the impeller...

Actually thats not true. You're mixing cause and effect.

A higher heat is a result of being mounted closer to the engine. Higher heat is also a byproduct of a more energetic exhaust pulse, but it is the pressure of the exhaust that spins the impeller.

Heat has nothing to do with spinning a turbo at all.

There is an indirect relationship between exhaust heat and turbo spin. They're both effects of something else - the exhaust energy. And the turbo is spun by another effect altogether of that energy, the pressure.

Or rather, its correct to say "at such n such energy, the typical exhaust pulse is carrying x much heat, but its the corresponding pressure at that energy level that is driving the impellor. While there is a relationship between heat and pressure you don't need heat to have pressure, and vice versa.".

Hope I said that in a way that made sense.

Guest Harris92
Thats screwed up that a v-8 that size would spool a turbo like that. That better be a damn big turbo or something is wrong. That is one of the nice things about putting a turbo on an engine that size, quick spoolup. ;)

Originally posted by Mowgli:

A higher heat is a result of being mounted closer to the engine. Higher heat is also a byproduct of a more energetic exhaust pulse, but it is the pressure

Or rather, its correct to say "at such n such energy, the typical exhaust pulse is carrying x much heat, but its the corresponding pressure at that energy level that is driving the impellor. While there is a relationship between heat and pressure you don't need heat to have pressure, and vice versa.".

The Universal Gas Law:

PV/T sub1 = PV/T sub2

Or rather, when the temperature of a gas goes down, The pressure, or velocity (or both), of the gas goes down. This is a known fact. If the temperature of your exhaust gases go down before they get to the turbo, what will happen to the pressure and/or velocity (both of which have a huge impact on the efficiency of your turbo)?

A higher heat is a result of being mounted closer to the engine. Higher heat is also a byproduct of a more energetic exhaust pulse, but it is the pressure of the exhaust that spins the impeller.

There is an indirect relationship between exhaust heat and turbo spin. They're both effects of something else - the exhaust energy. And the turbo is spun by another effect altogether of that energy, the pressure.

Hope I said that in a way that made sense.

you might want to stick to blowers there, cheif... :D

Guest doggunracing

Uh, no. Mass flow (density, velocity, cross-sectional area of flow) is driving the system. It is the most important component, followed by pressure, then heat.