Home Car Lift Questions

RedRocket1647545505

We're going to be building a detached garage next spring/summer, and I'm trying to decide on somethings before I attemt to design this garage. First off, it'll be a 3 car garage with an apartment above it. I'm trying to come up with a way to make the apartment work with the high ceiling required for a lift. This brings me to my first question. What height ceilings do you guys recommend for a 2 post lift? Second question, what type of lift would you recommend? I was thinking just a 2 post lift. Any particulart brand I should be looking at? or needed options? Thanks.

Originally posted by Browning:

Mr.2, would you be able to pull a tranny out with the one in the second link? Looks like it may be tough for a tranny swap, I dunno.

I don't see why not at least for FWD. It's behind the wheels when lifted. Or you can park the car in a way that it would clear.

The Low-rise one is the only one I can see that might have clearance problems.

We've got an electric asymmetrical arm two post lift at work and from what I can tell, it would be the ideal home lift. the asymmetrical arms allow you to position the posts closer to the wall, and you can still open long doors without too much trouble (sometimes an issue for f-bodys and older coupes on symmetrical arm lifts). Could you make sort of a 3 or 4 step loft over your lift bay? that way, the high ceiling would clear your lift, and it would allow a little different floor plan to your apartment.

I would sugjest that you figure out what lift you are going to get and get the mounts built and in the concrete when you do the pouring of the floor. Like mentioned above, you will need at least 18 inches of concrete under the lift, and that should be a cube. Meaning where the lift will sit, with am 8 inch thnck floor, dig out 10X18X18 holes where the posts will set.

As far as the ceiling, remember that you don't have to have the second floor as wide as the first floor. Just design it so that there is no second floor over the bay with the lift.

Originally posted by desperado:

As far as the ceiling, remember that you don't have to have the second floor as wide as the first floor. Just design it so that there is no second floor over the bay with the lift.

That's kind of what I was thinking, but instead of not putting a second floor over the lift bay at all, just make sort of a raised floor up there. If you keep the ceiling as low as possible, your shop space will be easier to heat in the cold winter months.

Some specs on the garage we're gonna build. It'll be roughly 40' wide x 30' deep. The lift I'm looking at is an Eagle lift with a floor crossover. The lift is 9' tall, so I was thinking I'd give the garage area 10'-10.5' ceilings, and the apartment area 8' ceilings. ( I think that's the normal height?) Does a 40' wide garage sound wide enough for 3 cars? I think a normal width garage door is 8' wide, and we will have 3 seperate doors, all side by side. Here's the lift I'm looking at:

http://66.113.231.142/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/mtp9f.jpg

Lifting capacity 9000 lbs.

Lifting speed 50 seconds

Motor Rating 2HP 220vac

Amperage 20 amps.

Lifting height with adapters 79"

Width overall 134"

Height overall

109"

Pad height adjustment 3 1/4" - 10"

Shipping weight 1500 lbs.

Thanks again for all the help.