mid ohio stt 7-28

natedogg624

so who is going to be at mid ohio on that date? where do you guys like to stay at near the track? i know there are a few hotels right off 71 at exit 165, anything else though? anyone got any tips or advice for my first trackday?

also--if you are going and are from dayton or columbus and have an extra seat in your vehicle and spot on your trailer could you please let me know!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stay at the Days in or something on off if Rt 97 exit.

first trackday in july at mid OH.

LOTS OF WATER, and Gatorade (something with salt)

If you feel tired in a session pull off. Your mental stamina will faulter probably before your physical

Don't worry about keeping up with someone just to do it. Ride your own pace, once you get accustomed to trackdays then you can start trying t chase people around you skill level down and make passes, but first day is just working on getting yourself used to track environment.

Hit up Lizard1 for some on track pointers too.

Is Lizard an instructor for STT?

yeah.... he will instruct you not to tell anybody about what happened in the bathroom while giving you "pointers" :D:p

yes he is an STT Track Coach / Instructor.. not sure what the proper term is.

Rain wasn't bad I was able to turn 2:15s my first time every on rain tires. But on street tires I could see it being sketchy in the 3 sealer test areas.

I think now that I have rain experience I could get into 2:00 or under a bit. Though the spots in turn 9 under Honda Bridge and the one in T13 out of thunder valley were sketchy. The one out of Keyhole was an easy miss. The track didn't have as much grip as Nashville superspeedway and infield though.

Good info Chris! Sounds like you have run there a few times. Last year was my first, and the spot sealer spot coming out of the carousel onto the start/finish straight was slick enough fo rme to come through there flat track style. And the rise over T8 (I think it's 8) was slick while wet. Dry, it was like a completely different track all together.

I will be honest, I have no times for my laps from my visit last year. Probably because it's hard to use a sundial when it's overcast.

:rolleyes: Bragger

Not bragging... Its called the Pro Practice on STT's site.. Im not a pro..not even close... its just another track day but you get to split time with the pro's since they are there running and setting everything up to get ready for the weekend..

Its pretty cool to get to see them riding and working on the bikes so close.. Those guys and their crews are machines.

Not bragging... Its called the Pro Practice on STT's site.. Im not a pro..not even close, actually I suck really bad... its just another track day but you get to split time with the pro's since they are there running and sweating getting ready for the weekend..

Its pretty cool to get to see them riding and working on the bikes so close, man I wish I was a bike .. Those guys and their crews are machines.

:confused: yeah dude you are cool

flounder i may be there on the 31st as well, i need to buy my spot soon, but i am kinda leery about combined with the advanced guys....

Well, my opinion is that the A group is generally safer, the tend to have better lines, and are much less of a risk then the I guys. The I group is the most dangerous group due to the following: Piss poor lines, You have people that just moved from Novice, You have people that should be in advanced, and less experienced riders sometimes freak when they get passed especially in a corner.

Someone else with a piss poor line and who is inconsistent as they are cornering scares me more then being 2 ft off of someones tire in advanced or having someone pass me on the inside/outside from an A rider. The A riders can be trusted a bit more not to cut you off, not to change lines like a drunk, and not to target fixate on someone passing or while being passed.

As long as you ride within your abilities and hold your lines, hopefully another rider will not do something stupid around you.. My guess is that if someone does do something stupid around you, it will be an Intermediate guy.

yeah i was thinking that i was going to be that I group guy you speak of.... i know what is is like to pass and to be passed, i have spent the last 3 or 4 years on a racetrack, but i have had problems holding my lines for some reason. by then end of the day last time i was doing well though. i really don't want to frustrate the advanced guys though. i would be pissed if i paid $200 to have a trackday ruined by some inexperience i group guys.

While I haven't nearly the experience on a track that you do e-, I remember being both passed and passing. Usually, if I get that out of the way early in the day, I am better later. And I understand what you're saying about having an inexperienced rider possibly ruin your day, but that's why the instructors are there, to help prevent that kind of thing. My two track days were with two completely different schools on vastly different tracks (Team Hammer Advanced @ Daytona and STT @ Mid Ohio) and there was a wide mix of riders in wach group at each school. Both schools, IMHO, did well to ensure that things were done safely and properly on the track. I agree about not wanting to be the guy who takes out a more experienced rider, but the more 'experienced' guys should also be smart enough to know how to avoid things like that as well. As long as you keep making better laps, getting better towards the end of the day, you're doing all you can. Something an instructor told me last year...ride confidently, not overconfidently. Even the go fast guys make mistakes.

It only takes a corner or so for Advanced riders to assess a slower rider and expect his lines. The biggest thing you will notice once you make the change to advance is the difference in lines.

Advance guys run real close to the Race line which sometimes is not a wide sweeping arc into every corner. That in lies the place A riders struggle with I riders. If we go up inside the I rider and don't make it far enough or the I rider just doesn't want to be passed they have a tendancy to cut off the other riders front tire.

But the issue is not generally 1 on 1, it is when you get a group of 3-5 I riders and a A rider who can run 5-10 seconds faster trying to split the group.

I got put in the I group last Friday practice at Grattan (along with their PRO school) and it was not fun for me. I would bet maybe a lap clean then was dodging riders or coming up on a group of 4-6 into turn one braking where they were all using a different line. One Pro School rider was taking such a sweeping line that he almost took out his coach's front tire.

I was able to stay inside the sealer in the carosel and last corner. I would like to get back there and run in the rain again. Nashville was AWESOME in the rain. I was actually able to get knee down on my rains and on my Bridgestone races on a damn and drying track.