LT1 dyno tuning around here?

Guest evilundisguised

Guest evilundisguised
I heard there were a couple ;) f-body owners hanging out here. I'm thinking it's time to get my ECU tuned. I'd like to play around with it myself, but the software (LT1-edit) is way too expensive so I've just got datalogging capabilities. With logged data, would a knowledgable mail-order tuner be able to come close to a knowledgable dyno-tuner? Are there even any knowledgable dyno-tuners around Columbus?

- No one locally tunes LT1's as a business

- It's PCM, not ECU

- The LT1_Edit for OBD-II cars is expensive. The OBD-I LT1_Edit is MUCH cheaper. You also have the option of tuning with Tunercat as well w/ OBD-I. Since you have a 6-speed, there really isn't a benefit staying w/ OBD-II. It is cheaper to swap in an OBD-I PCM and knock sensor (that's the only other thing you have to change) and buy the OBD-I version of LT1_Edit than to buy the OBD-II version alone. The real OBD-II benefit is w/ auto running stalls bigger than 2800, which isn't an issue for you

- I've done all of my own tuning. That said, I'm FARRRRR from a pro at it, and wouldn't want to attempt it on someone else's car. My tune is basically hacking together tunes from similar setups and making it work for my needs. So far it has worked well and my motor is still happy.

Guest evilundisguised
Originally posted by Nitrousbird:

- It's PCM, not ECU

- The LT1_Edit for OBD-II cars is expensive. The OBD-I LT1_Edit is MUCH cheaper. You also have the option of tuning with Tunercat as well w/ OBD-I. Since you have a 6-speed, there really isn't a benefit staying w/ OBD-II. It is cheaper to swap in an OBD-I PCM and knock sensor (that's the only other thing you have to change) and buy the OBD-I version of LT1_Edit than to buy the OBD-II version alone. The real OBD-II benefit is w/ auto running stalls bigger than 2800, which isn't an issue for you

- I've done all of my own tuning. That said, I'm FARRRRR from a pro at it, and wouldn't want to attempt it on someone else's car. My tune is basically hacking together tunes from similar setups and making it work for my needs. So far it has worked well and my motor is still happy.

ECU/PCM = semantics ;) but I should have known better, I nitpick stuff like that usually.

I've thought about switching to OBD-I, but I've already sunk money into an OBD-II interface cable... which I guess I could sell off.

Wasn't the switch from I to II also accompanied by the change to multiple O2 sensors? How would OBD-I handle my 4 sensors?

Finally, do you post on f-body.org? I browse there alot but don't post much...

hey man, your interface cable is fine. I do hope you bought the newer USB interface cable rather than the serial cable. In my 97, I just bought an OBD2 interface cable, and had a guy solder in a resistor to the PCM board so I did not have to replace the actual sensor in the block. I use TunerCat (although I have not actually tuned)and other than the PITA USB-Serial adapter, everything works fine. The OBD1 was just plug-in and go. You can leave the rear o2's hooked up, it does not hurt anything because the PCM does not have an input for them anyways.

Originally posted by Nitrousbird:

- It's PCM, not ECU

Tunercat does have OBD-II software for F-Body's. Not sure on the pricing. Link to info on how to order and that people already have it, even though it isn't listed on their website.

Originally posted by evilundisguised:

ECU/PCM = semantics ;) but I should have known better, I nitpick stuff like that usually.

I've thought about switching to OBD-I, but I've already sunk money into an OBD-II interface cable... which I guess I could sell off.

Wasn't the switch from I to II also accompanied by the change to multiple O2 sensors? How would OBD-I handle my 4 sensors?

Finally, do you post on f-body.org? I browse there alot but don't post much...

As said, the rear O2 sensors aren't used by the OBD-I PCM. Neither is the crank positioning sensor.

I have never even looked around on f-body.org and was a member of Fbody.com 5-6 years ago before it turned into the crap hole it has been for the past several years. I'm a regular (and moderator) at camaroz28.com

Originally posted by 97Z:

hey man, your interface cable is fine. I do hope you bought the newer USB interface cable rather than the serial cable. In my 97, I just bought an OBD2 interface cable, and had a guy solder in a resistor to the PCM board so I did not have to replace the actual sensor in the block. I use TunerCat (although I have not actually tuned)and other than the PITA USB-Serial adapter, everything works fine. The OBD1 was just plug-in and go. You can leave the rear o2's hooked up, it does not hurt anything because the PCM does not have an input for them anyways.

His cable will not work if he still has the OBDII PCM. He has to have an OBDI PCM.

Guest evilundisguised
Originally posted by nathan96:

I think you have a connector that is for an OBDI computer, but has the OBDII end, unless you put the money down on the LT1 edit cable (ouch).

I specified that I wanted a cable for an OBD-II computer, and it works to log data from my OBD-II computer, so safe bet is that it's for OBD-II. The 95's had an OBD-I computer but an OBD-II style ALDL port, if that's what you're hinting at.

97Z - I have the serial cable - is that going to be a problem? I just inquired as to whether or not my cable is compatible with tunercat software. I'm glad someone pointed that out, I've only been able to find LT1-edit before, which is pretty expensive.

I am just trying to make sure that you do not try and load a program with a cable that is not compatible. The datalogging may work but AKMcables.com stresses that if you try and load a program with it will ruin the PCM. I believe tunercats for OBDII is $450, at least it was when they sent me information on it after it was released. Your best bet is to send the PCM to madz28.com and buy his converted OBDI PCM. I guess I would like to know where you found that cable though, because as far as I knew only carputing.com and tunercats sold the correct cables with their software.

Guest evilundisguised
Originally posted by nathan96:

I am just trying to make sure that you do not try and load a program with a cable that is not compatible. The datalogging may work but AKMcables.com stresses that if you try and load a program with it will ruin the PCM. I believe tunercats for OBDII is $450, at least it was when they sent me information on it after it was released. Your best bet is to send the PCM to madz28.com and buy his converted OBDI PCM. I guess I would like to know where you found that cable though, because as far as I knew only carputing.com and tunercats sold the correct cables with their software.

I gotcha, I bought my cable from AKMcables, but i've only used it for datalogging, not tuning. I sent an email to TunerCat asking if my cable was compatible with their software, and the reply was that it was not. So looks like I'd have to buy the whole package - you get the cables/convertor, software (not locked to a single PCM - nice), and one vehicle definition file for $380.

I gotcha, I bought my cable from AKMcables, but i've only used it for datalogging, not tuning. I sent an email to TunerCat asking if my cable was compatible with their software, and the reply was that it was not. So looks like I'd have to buy the whole package - you get the cables/convertor, software (not locked to a single PCM - nice), and one vehicle definition file for $380.

How much is LT1 Edit? Just wondering on the cost savings.

Guest evilundisguised

Oops, I'm an idiot. I didn't buy it from AKMcables, but from Scantool.net. I'm finding out if this one will work with TunerCat...

Guest evilundisguised
Originally posted by BIG SHAFE:

How much is LT1 Edit? Just wondering on the cost savings.

LT1edit is $450, and you're restricted to using it on only one car (locked by VIN).

Originally posted by Car Enthusiast:

do you go by the same name as on here on cz28 joe

Nope, I go by my real name there. I been a member there 1999, before I even had nitrous on my car, hence no Nitrousbird name there. I'm the moderator of the GP forum.

Guest evilundisguised
Originally posted by fiveseven:

www.gmrspeed.com they do tuning on all LT and LS based cars/engines... top quality work excellent service and will be recieving my money fairly soon

Cool, how much? I can't find any tune pricing on the website...

Guest evilundisguised

Im not sure.

I do know i was quoted about $500 to get my 98 tuned if i get it cammed

Your best bet would be call the shop and talk to Rick or Leo about dyno pricing. From what i have heard they are real reasonable on prices.

$500, hmm... I don't know what's reasonable for pricing, but I wasn't expecting that much.

Im not sure.

I do know i was quoted about $500 to get my 98 tuned if i get it cammed

Your best bet would be call the shop and talk to Rick or Leo about dyno pricing. From what i have heard they are real reasonable on prices.

If you are doing something simple like a cammed car, contact Bill Wright and not spend that much money on some tuning.

www.gmrspeed.com they do tuning on all LT and LS based cars/engines... top quality work excellent service and will be recieving my money fairly soon

Wow, that place is expensive. They also have a shitty selection and seem to only carry a handful of products by "quality" companies graemlins/thumbsdown.gif