So You're Thinking about Getting a Bike?

Bahnstoermer1647545488

Since we seem to get a fair amount of inquiries, I thought it might be worthwhile to give some advice after my two years, 14,000 miles, and one trip to the E.R.'s worth of riding experience to potential new riders.

1) Riding motorcycles is dangerous, without a doubt. Think carefully about if you are prepared to get hurt, and how much preparation, self-control, and discipline you are willing to muster up to take the necessary precautions and ignore your foolish friends who ride with only sunglasses -- and to control your desire to impress the girl or guy in the car next to you.

2) You can't "halfway" get into motorcycles and be safe at the same time. It's a serious commitment of time and money. You need to be willing to take the MSF Basic Rider Course (and be willing to put in the significant effort and/or forward thinking to get admitted to one). They will teach you basic riding skills, teach you how to react to hazards on the road in the safest manner, and you'll even have a good time. If you are even thinking about getting into bikes, I suggest you sign up take the course. It's cheap, you use their bikes, and it is a great way to "figure out" if you're really interested in riding without jumping onto a buddy's high HP rocket and heading out into traffic.

3. Buy the GEAR! Add about $1000 to your bike calculator for gear to get fully suited up. And please, don't buy a helmet for < $100. I can't fathom why anyone thinks their life is worth saving $200 on a helmet, and buy a multi-thousand dollar machine to put it in jeopardy. But a leather jacket, boots and gloves. You can wait on buying moto pants until your budget catches up, just wair a pair of jeans or two. Gear saves lives. My helmet already saved my life once. Jackets, gloves, and boots keep the skin on your body and you walking afterwards. Boots are very important, as ankles are delicate machines. If you have truly sturdy work boots they will work for a while, but seeing pictures of even the toughest non-moto boots after a crash should put them high on your list.

4) Make your own decision on a starter bike, but make it your own decision. Don't ride what your friends are riding just to fit in. There are so many motorcycles out there and they can all be enjoyable. Sit down alone and think... a 600 cc sportbike can travel 150+ miles an hour, can run sub 11 second quarters with a few months/years of practice, weighs plenty to hurt me when I fall over in a parking lot, can do wheelies, stoppies, and land me in jail in 3 seconds from any given instant I want to tempt fate. Sound like enough fun?

5) Ride with responsible people. The most danger I've been in riding is with crazy people. At the minimum, learn how to ride before you go out with the crazy crew so you know how to get out of (or better yet stay out of) trouble.

6) Get legal, stay legal. Get your temps, obey the rules that go along with it. No night, highway, or passenger riding and wear your helmet. Have insurance and proof of it from day one. Think it's cheaper without it? You'll be paying court fines in excess of the insurance soon, and if you're lucky you won't have hefty medical bills or a lawsuit to go with it. Ask around if you need to hear it from someone else. I speak from personal experience when I say having all your paperwork organized and legal will get you out of tickets as well, because the officer is so amazed he has a biker who is even somewhat responsible. So with gear, a bike, and insurance you know why you can't get into bikes "halfway" and be safe.

Think about it for a while, most of us riders did. Bikes are a ton of fun but not for everyone. You may not be able to control the fun button, may have a family to protect, may not want to risk losing body parts etc. and all are respectable reasons to play in other hobbies. Get a magazine subscription, read the forums (some of which are somewhat unfriendly to new riders however), ask questions, and if you're ready, dive in!

Originally posted by 100 RWHP:

Since we seem to get a fair amount of inquiries, I thought it might be worthwhile to give some advice after my two years, 14,000 miles, and one trip to the E.R.'s worth of riding experience to potential new riders.

you noob tongue.gif

oh and

were your helmet! or die!

• 5 months later...
THX dude very good info!!! My dad had a monte carlo hit him at 70 mph and was in traction for 6 months and his hands still dont look right ( gloves in the tankbag) but then again neither does his leg... we both spared no expense when we decided to get back into it. ALWAYS wear leathers and such... but most of all dont be stupid

• 1 month later...

everyone,

last year, one of my good friends test drove a Yamaha R6. He took a turn too fast, flew off the road, went up 100 feet in the air and crashed in some trees. He did not make it :(

My other friend was riding with him at the time and basically watched him die and he is still pretty messed up from that...

Like a fast car, you cannot just buy a fast bike and expect to floor it and expect to know how to drive it.

not trying to scare anyone, just trying to remind everyone to be careful and not be stupid if you are thinking about buying a bike.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

just a question about this:

And please, don't buy a helmet for < $100. I can't fathom why anyone thinks their life is worth saving $200 on a helmet, and buy a multi-thousand dollar machine to put it in jeopardy.
if its snell m2000 cert. isnt it good regardless of the cost?

• 1 month later...

Last month's Motorcyclist [magazine] covered this.

A less expensive helmet appears to protect about as well or better than and expensive one. However, the more expensive helmets get your more comfort and more features like better venting, quick remove shields, and removable liners.

• 1 month later...
also while you are riding, if you are a mostly safe rider, its other cars you have to watch out for. other cars are looking for other cars and not bikes so a lot of times they wont see you. and its harder for some people to judge distance and speed of bikes while they are driving.