The saint ZX is dead (or WEAR YOUR FUCKING GEAR!)

excell

Kinda tired, but here is the raw details. Pics to follow as soon as I feel able.

Coming home from the east side tonight, on the freeway, the motor developed a knock as soon as I got on the freeway. I tried to baby it home. Just after the big tunnels on I-670W the bottom end of the motor let go, blowing chunks of connecting rod and oil pan all over the freeway, coating the rear tire and wheel with oil. I had already started to pull over when the rear tire went squirley and I was unable to keep control. The bike slid out from under me. I was about 35-40mph, slid, and ended up pined under the bike and against the curb on the side of the freeway.

THANK GOD I WAS WEARING MY GEAR.

My head would be run through by the curb, my right ankle destroyed, my hands torn apart, my arms shredded if it wasn't for my gear. Unfortunetly, I was wearing only jeans on my lower half, and I have a hole in my skin big enough in my right knee to see the bone - but otherwise, I'm unscathed.

ALL YOU DUMB FUCKERS RIDING WITHOUT HELMETS, JACKETS, GLOVES, BOOTS, ETC TAKE HEED - I DID NOT CAUSE THIS AND IT WAS COMPLETELY UNEXPECTED. IF IT WEREN'T FOR MY GEAR I WOULD BE IN THE HOSPITAL NOW. ALWAYS WEAR PROPER GEAR.

The bike is fucked on the entire right side. I can see into the bottom end of the motor from under the bike. It's completely fucked.

I'm very sad. :( But I'm alive and home. Thanks to the very nice paramedics for cleaning up my knee, and to the guy in the civic - Brandon - for stopping and staying with me. I know he's not on here, but I feel he should be thanked. I told him I was fine, and he could go, but he insisted on staying with me until my friends got there. That meant so much to me.

I'm lucky to be alive. :(

Be careful out there guys. Just because you're not being dumb, doesn't mean you can't get into a life threatening situation.

God, now what do I do...

Wow, that's sad to hear, but at least you're ok. Jeans don't provide good protection, but at least you had your helmet and jacket on.

Two years ago a friend of mine was in an accident and was only wearing his helmet. That taught me that no matter how far you're riding you should wear your gear. Luckly he's ok now, but had he been wearin his jacket his recovery would have been shorter.

That sucks, Bro!!! I'm with you on the gear..I wear leathers and helmet no matter how hot it is out. I rather be hot than hurt.

So too much oil ended up on the tire to where you just lost control?

Thanks guys. :(

Originally posted by David Putty:

So too much oil ended up on the tire to where you just lost control?

Yea, the entire bike is COVERED in oil from when the bottom end let loose. As near as I can figure, I had already started breaking (with both brakes, thanks MSF :( ) and as soon as the oil hit the tire, the rear end of the bike shot from one side to the other and then just low-sided. There is oil inside every tread on the rear tire and an oil trail on 670 about 100 feet long. I have a piece of connecting rod and a broken connecting rod bolt I picked up off the freeway, too. :(

Boy, am I fucking sore. Let me tell you, having to clean your own wounds out sucks. Hydrogen peroxide + open wound = the most pain I've ever had in my life. I'll be buying a set of pants and never riding without them, either.

Originally posted by Aggressor:

I'm much happier in reading this than getting a call from dad about something worse, considering the circumstances :(

Maybe it's time to build something fast with four wheels again ;)

I hear that. :(

Well, you're partially right. I'm going to switch gears and concentrate on getting the turd up and running again. After that I'll decide the fate of the ZX. I will always ride motorcycles, and it will be fixed or replaced by the end of the summer. I just gotta decide what I want to do with it... Busa's sure are looking tempting. smile.gif

Originally posted by (s)aint ZX:

Thanks guys. :(

Yea, the entire bike is COVERED in oil from when the bottom end let loose. As near as I can figure, I had already started breaking (with both brakes, thanks MSF :( ) and as soon as the oil hit the tire, the rear end of the bike shot from one side to the other and then just low-sided. There is oil inside every tread on the rear tire and an oil trail on 670 about 100 feet long. I have a piece of connecting rod and a broken connecting rod bolt I picked up off the freeway, too. :(

Boy, am I fucking sore. Let me tell you, having to clean your own wounds out sucks. Hydrogen peroxide + open wound = the most pain I've ever had in my life. I'll be buying a set of pants and never riding without them, either.

Well, I am glad to see you are OK. It damn sure could have been worse. You could have been doing 135. :eek:

Thanks everyone. :(

As I understand it, the ZX11 motor has a factory oil deficency with the #3 connecting rod, which causes it to spin the #3 connecting rod bearing and subsiquently torch the motor. This is exactly what it sounded like happened as I was riding. It's not caused by any certain riding condition, power, etc, but just a freak thing that happens. I won't know until I get the strength and ability to get into the bike - but I feel in my gut this is what happened.

I'm really, really lucky that this was all that happened to me. I could have died. Really. Please guys, wear your gear. We don't want to put any of you under.

I'm really sad. I enjoy riding so much. Time to go clean my knee again... :(

thats crazy glad your hear around typing this rather then not being able.

crazy on how things happen. good thing you had your gear on, never know what could happen.

using alcohol to clean wounds hurts more then perioxide. :( only thing i could find at deals gap

chris,sorry no one feels worse than me.im glad you are okay.but i can help you with the engine.i have a brand new 800 dollar crankshaft,another engine block,and a complete gasket set.all i need is one connecting rod and a set of bearings.call my nephew for my home phone number.any way i can help.

Guest wesxprs

Dude, I thought when you were calling me that night/morning you were bragging about being home already. Scared the hell outta me and decided to bust ass up there to help.

I think you were wrong on the oil slick, about 200-250 in my calculations!

Glad you're okay man. This is why when I get a bike I will be fully protected from road rash.

Wes