'75 Vette Question

njr682

I'm working on a 1975 Corvette, and the battery keeps going dead on it overnight. I put a new alternator on it, even though the old one was charging fine. Its not the battery, I've tried different ones. Its not the starter, I've replaced it. I've checked all of the obvious stuff, but I must be over-looking something. Any suggestions?????

Captain obvious here, but you could start pulling fuses on things to see when the drain on the bat stops.

You know how to check to see if theres a drain on the bat if the ignition is off right?

We had problems with the 67 vette we were working on at the shop. Turned out to be the wipers were pulling power for some reason.

Let me know if you need any help. I can stop over sometime this week if ya need.

Guest Justin C
You have got a short somewhere. My *future* father in law has the same problem with his Dakota pickup. He hasn't run the problem down yet, but it has something to do with the int. lights.

Disconnect the battery ground wire from the battery. Connect one side of a test light to the ground on the battery and the other side to the ground wire you just disconnected. If there is an amperage draw, which it sounds like there is, the test light will light up. The brighter the light, the higher the amperage. Try pulling fuses and or accesory electrical connections until the test light turns off, when it does, you have found your culprit.

You can pick up a test light at pretty much any auto parts store, they are pretty cheap. It looks like a screw driver with a pointed end and with a clear handle and a wire coming out of the other end.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bird of a different motor
your ignition....make sure it is all the way in the off position...especially if it is worn or loose. just an idea...and it was my answer,on my bird, to this same prob your having with the vette.

Guest nevarmore

I dont know if it was bullshit or not, but i seem to recall hearing that vette's had massive problems with the electrical system because the grounding system was not a standard setup because of the non-conductive body panels.

Might be a place to start, or I could be a dumbass leading you down the path to more work.