what to look for in a BOV?

Science Abuse

many of ya saw my below post. what Iu'm shootingfor is 400bhp4.6 SOHC,andI need a BOV to get all the preausre out of a 3-4" pipe at between 9-12 psi, not sure yet ,depends what the engine can take :D

Is there a rating system for them, or do I just go by CFM...errr wha?

OH! duh!, I know, you go by sound, the louder the better, right? graemlins/fruit.gif

Thanks guys

Eric

btw, cheap helps, whacha think of this?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1839657781

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1839507826

[ 02 July 2002, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: BlackBird ]

That second one (bosch) is run in many turbo cars comming from europe. For example porsche, saab, vw. I run one in my supra because it is a very cheap replacement. I picked up mine from thepartsbin.com for under $30 shipped. Makes a nice pssssh sound, but not as loud as some aftermarket units. I've also seen them in aftermarket supercharger kits. And 9-12 psi shouldn't be a problem

I don't have experience with this, but I wouldn't buy an older bov, expecially from japan, I've heard the units don't last too long, although they can be rebuilt (some at least).

Do you plan on venting this to atmosphere, or using it as a recirculation valve plumbed back into your intake? Depending on the vacuum your car pulls at idle, many stock type units such as that bosch one will leak at idle. The spring is not strong enough to hold it closed all the way at idle, and it is not adjustable, the stock recirc valves on my car are like this. This will make your idle very shitty if it is vented to atmosphere since you will be sucking air that the ECU will not know is there.

Go with one of the newer styles by some of the bigger names, Greddy or HKS. The spring pretension is adjustable and some can be fitted with different heavy duty springs if you begin running higher boost levels. You get what you pay for, and a leaking BOV will give you many headaches.

Greddy type R standard spring would probably work great for your car, it has a large valve area, and a long throw for moving larger volumes of air, and they have different sized threaded ends for the outlet as well if you wish to use it as a recirc valve.

Here is a link to see some different BOV's:

http://www.alamomotorsports.com/products.html

Guest badmuthrfkr

9-12psi, pretty much any big name aftermarket BOV will hold. That ain't s.

Stay away from the Apex'i Twin Chamber though. An HKS Super Sequential is relatively cheap and will hold your boost and more perfectly fine.

PM me and I'll hook you up with whichever one you would like from either HKS, GReddy, or Blitz.

Louder doesn't mean better. My way-too-expensive HKS Racing Type II holds 44psi and it is quiet as anything IMO. The HKS Super Sequential is way more audible.

Hua,

Tell me what you know about the A'pexi twin-chamber BOV. I have one sitting on the shelf waiting for a flange to be welded on. Enlighten me and save me from harms way! smile.gif

Thanks.

Editted out the question, as it was answered!

[ 03 July 2002, 01:25 AM: Message edited by: badog ]

Originally posted by badog:

Hua,

Tell me what you know about the A'pexi twin-chamber BOV. I have one sitting on the shelf waiting for a flange to be welded on. Enlighten me and save me from harms way! smile.gif

Thanks.

Editted out the question, as it was answered!

They were known to leak. I thought I read somewhere that they were redesigned, but I can't confirm it though. I'd go with one of the ones he recommended instead just to be safe.

Howard

Originally posted by Hwilli:

[QBThey were known to leak. I thought I read somewhere that they were redesigned, but I can't confirm it though. I'd go with one of the ones he recommended instead just to be safe.

Howard[/QB]

To add to that, they have an adjustment ring that rotates around the center of the housing which is used to adjust the noise...it is known to loosen and rotate freely, often blocking the BOV vent.