What Drag Radials?

Hwilli1647545487

I agree with what Jeff said. But I'll emphasize that I never really could get the Nittos to hook well. BFG's can be heated well and hook better than an equally heated Nitto. My BFG's were about bald at the end of the season and I used them after my Nittos picked up a screw. It was quite a bit of difference, of course they were much more bald (bald drag radial = good traction). My roommate ran 1.6 60's w/ BFG's and an open rear end last year. I ran Nittos most of the year and really didn't like em. They are MUCH better in the rain than BFG's, but once you lose half tread they are horrible. All drag radials are a catch 22 they don't really hook well to you wear down the tread, once you do that you can't use em on the street..

Howard,

My Nitto's are not used that much but I could not get a sub 2 second 60' on them. I will account some of that to user error/new user, but I would think that they would hook a little better than that. I was getting 2.2ish on street tires and only 2.1's on Nittos something does not add up :confused:

If you want treadwear to last then Nitto's are the way to go however I have always heard that the BFG's are stickier smile.gif Also heard Nitto's are better in the rain in case you get stuck out with them on.

you have to heat the CRAP out of nittos (like 30 second style burnouts...lol) to get them to hook...

I like BFG's i cut 1.8 60's on mine, after a decent 10 second or so burnout...when they get bald they HOOK.

Here are some other questions that need to be asked:

- Will this be your street tire?? Or a run at the track/set-up races type tire??

- If its your regular street tire, how much are you worried about tread wear??

If its not going to be a street tire, just skip the DR's and go straight to a MT ET Street or Hoosier QTP. This will do FAR better than any drag radial can. Match it up with a set of skinnies for weight reduction, better weight transfer, and less rolling resistance. I desperately need to get a set of skinnies for the strip...that alone would help me shave 50+ lbs (literally) of unsprung weight off the front...probably good for a couple tenths. smile.gif

If you wanna go the Nitto DR route, their regular 555's match up well. Also, they make a road-race tire now, with the same tread as the DR, but with a stiff sidewall. But the only tire size available is 275/40/17...which is a popular Vette/F-body size. That tire would probably do alright at the strip too. I may actually get a set of these for street tires once my Kumho's wear out.

Guest stevil
Originally posted by Nitrousbird:

If its not going to be a street tire, just skip the DR's and go straight to a MT ET Street or Hoosier QTP.

Can you drive to the track on those? Or would you need to swap them on at the track?

I'm getting BFG Drag Radials soon, and just for the track... the reason is so I can just swap them at home, and drive to the track. But if these are legal and streetable...

Guest mad man mikey 0212
i had the hoosier street tire, and i loved them. the didn't help with cornering too well but i could dump it at 3200 rpm and they would hook. but now i have bf goodies radical t/a's and they are really good too. but you do have to try to heat them up alot before you run. i've also herd that the mickey thompson ss streets work good too. and the 555r's are probily your best bet for what you would probily use them for.

Originally posted by stevil:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Nitrousbird:

If its not going to be a street tire, just skip the DR's and go straight to a MT ET Street or Hoosier QTP.

Can you drive to the track on those? Or would you need to swap them on at the track?

I'm getting BFG Drag Radials soon, and just for the track... the reason is so I can just swap them at home, and drive to the track. But if these are legal and streetable...</font>

Et Streets and Hoosier's can be driven on the street but do not get caught in the rain on them. :eek:

They are a slick with little slits cut into them to resemble tread not exactly a street tire IMO. I would also not recommend running them on a stock f body rearend JMHO smile.gif

Guest Ubilam
I used the BFG's when I first finished my car, 1.75 60' times w/ 16 lbs. of air. They lasted one season with about 40 passes and about 3000 miles.I hear Nitto's are as good but require a little more heat in them to work as good.

Guest 614Streets
M/T ET Streets own. Not streetable though. Id say bfg drag or McCreary road stars. Although Et streets are legal they are basically full blown slicks with slits cut in them. I hit 1.92 60's on et's

Guest 1bad66duece
dont know if anyone remebers my 69 skylark(it was blue),drove it everywere on drag radials from bfg (275-60-15) had 1.71 60`s with 11.70 ets@ 112.had et streets with only 1.77 60`s,and you dont want to get cault in even a light rain with et streets,but my 66 duece had 1.46 60`s on et streets(26x10.50-15)tried drag radials,could not get traction at all,i think a with mild horsepower bfg`s are fine,but for big hp they are not that great.

Guest 614Streets
Originally posted by SamZman:

I'll be driving around with E/T Streets on the weekends this summer. I also have 3 other F-Body friends who will be doing the same.

Right me too. Look for a maroon s10 with et streets this summer.