Khukuri, anybody seen these, know about them?

Browning

I have had this thing for around 17-18 years. My sisters father gave it to me, not knowing anything about it. I dont remember where or how he got it. I remember as a kid it being the coolest knife I have ever seen. On the blade it says India, with some design. On the bottom of the handle it has what appears to be a lion(not sure because its beat up) How would I go about finding out if its homemade, or ?? I forgot I even had the thing.

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/6548/knife9zo.th.jpg

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/3663/knife27hx.th.jpg

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/8560/knife37af.th.jpg

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/286/knife47zy.th.jpg

A guy I used to work with was in the British Royal Army. They employed a sepcial force of people called the Gurkhas. IIRC they tried to fight the Gurkhas at some point and they were so ferosics that they decided to employe them. That knife is what the Gurkhas use, I guess mostly to cut peoples throats. He was saying that their equivilant of our Rangers were a bunch of badasses that you didn't mess with. Well he also said the rangers knew better than to even touch a Gurkha because they would end up in a Hosptial. He said they always smiled and almost never talked, but were crazy and efficient as a fighter could be. They were deployed on one of the Falken Islands and given X amount of hours (48 iirc) to clear everything out. They were done in about half of that time.

I'm sure all you wanted to know was that they were Gurkhas, but that's what little I know about them. I'm sure you can search on google and find some stuff about them.

Originally posted by Petey Wheatstraw:

I dont think that mine is the cheap soft metal, I used to put it through hell when I was a kid, no damage done to it.

Dont be so quick to knock soft metal. It withstands abuse better than brittle hard metal even if it can't hold an edge as well. "Cheap" metal is often brittle flash and prone to breaking. "Good metal" is often a combination of hard and soft attributes.

Anyway - that knife is a nice weapon and is classed in the machete category. Current utility knife of the British Ghurka Regiment. The design has some fundamental flaws in execution but a good design theory.

Here's a page on a guy going over pros and cons, with a good set of links: I want to keep my finger thanks.

Here you go, someone else looking to put together history of a particular example of one, it may help: Khukuri knife origin hunting

Sweet knife.

/off topic rant on

Love the urban legend stuff around the Ghurkas now. Gave me a chuckle The Gurkas were indian militia, right. British used em in WWII against the japanese alongside the local chinese and other local forces. Made good cannon fodder for the Brits I read.

"Draw their knife they need to draw blood before they put it back"

"Ranger touches a Ghurka they end up in hospital in 5 minutes"

ROFL - nothing ever changes

I'm sure they fly and shoot rockets out their asses too.

Actually, I bet I can find those same two quotes around Ninjas, SS, and Samurai somewhere. Probably even on this board.

Are the Ghurkas better than line indian infantry? Certainly. Do they strike fear into the heart of Argentinians? I'm sure if I'm some uneducated Llama farmer in the hills outside Buenos Aires I'd beleive anything too. Are they supermen better than every other nation's special forces? Hardly.

Personally I'd be more scared of the British SAS or a Harrier with a ADEN25 bearing down on me.

But its nice to know the "Grass is greener" effect fully in force still.

/off topic rant off

[ 18. July 2005, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: Mowgli ]

Mowgil better not talk bad about the Gurkha's, they will come to his house and cut him and not even care.

Originally posted by Mowgli:

Here's a page on a guy going over pros and cons, with a good set of links: I want to keep my finger thanks.

Ahhahahhahhaa, look at that guys website. Revelations is around the corner, run out and get a Khukuri to fight off the demons.

...and a Remington bolt action rifle to fight the dinosaurs... and the homosexuals.

Eh, I shit bigger than Gurkas. Little fellers. Persians, now persians are some specimens I don't want to have a tussle with. My home's safe from Ghurkas - I got argentinians with Exocet missles...