Anybody know about window AC units?

Science Abuse

yes. well... they turn off and on by themselves. at least the one i had did... i think. i dont know about modifying one to run solid for 8 hours, always on, but you can leave them on high for 8 hours, no problem. one could even run for 8 hours non stop with no problem though.

and no they dont emit any fumes, they just drip water out of the back.

edit: actually you will have one minor problem, and that will be that your electric bill will be about 300 bucks more ;)

Originally posted by Lustalbert:

What size unit are you planning to run, and what size room are you trying to cool?

about 50,000 sq ft. tongue.gif

I'm rolling around the idea of a cheap A/C unit on a stand to keep some people cool in a warehouse. They'll be within about 6 ft of it all the time. So, set it on 60, it'll never get tjhat cool, thus the T-stat will keep it running all the time. Now, how much power will that use, since if it's big, it'll figure into overhead.

It won't cool at all, it may overheat, and it will definitely cost more money and time than it is worth to attempt it. The cold air will fall to the ground almost immediately, and will be dissipated into the warmer air just as quickly. What you need is an air handler. They cost about $20k.

Would you like to know more? [/starship Troopers reference]

a good sized unit (20,000 btu) would kinda work. you will need to have a hole or window for the unit to expel the heat outside. It wont cool the place to much, but it will draw the humidity out of the air, so when people sweat, it will evaporate quicker, and they will seem a little cooler.

Though you can run them on high all the time, it definately won't cool the area any. But will allow the guys to walk over to something blowing cold air, which can be nice.

I have a fairly large window unit in my garage, and even w/ how poorly my garage is insulated (oversized 2 car w/ open ceiling), it cools it off fairly well.