I'm starting my project next month. Volunteers?

MrMeanGreen

As most of you know, I'm doing a forged 347 buildup on the Formula for the winter. I eventually plan on running a turbo kit, but for now, will stick with the Procharger setup. I'm trying to see just how much power a P-1 can make.

Anyways. I'm going to pull the engine next month and start on it's disassembly for the new internals. I will be keeping the stock crank, albeit having it balanced and polished. I will be running Diamond forged pistons, 8.5:1 compression ratio. I'll also be using forged rods, ARP rod bolts, and Clevite bearings. The 6.0L heads I have now will be ported and polished, and I'll also be using the LPE/Weiand intake I picked up last month which IPS has now for some polishing and powercoating. I'll also run a hefty cam, somewhere in the 228/234, .595/.595, 114lsa area. My stall will be back, now at a 3800 and 2.3str, along with a freshly rebuilt Stage IV tranny from Berberich.

However, I've never undertaken an engine rebuild before. I have all of the 1998-specific GM service manuals for the F-Body, along with the tools and resources (minus an engine hoist). I will need help this winter removing the engine and tearing it apart. After it gets back from the machine shop, I'll need assistance re-assembling it and getting it back into the car.

That being said, there's beer and food in it, along with my charming personality :)

Again, this won't be for another month yet, but I'd like to get this out now so people have plenty of notice.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd help but I'm up at school a lot now. I can offer some advice since I tore down/rebuilt my first motor 5 weeks ago. Once out of the car it's easy. I did one of those new GM 4.2 I6. You'll need a couple measuring tools like a dial bore guage and some plastigage, etc... Just stay organized. Label/mark everything. I'd have to say that's the most important thing.

Anthony in a month i will deffiently be in good shape with my car back together running (or in storage for winter)

I will be there man! I just got finished puttin the LS1 back into the Z i know how to get that bitch out with out a 2 post lift so PM for details its actually quite simple :):) Just let me know when and shoot me some directions.

I'd help but I'm up at school a lot now. I can offer some advice since I tore down/rebuilt my first motor 5 weeks ago. Once out of the car it's easy. I did one of those new GM 4.2 I6. You'll need a couple measuring tools like a dial bore guage and some plastigage, etc... Just stay organized. Label/mark everything. I'd have to say that's the most important thing.

I agree on the organazation part. I have mine torn down right now, and i musthavel about 30 zip lock bags filled with something. I also suggest taking some pictures as well. Remember take the time now, cause it will save you in the end.

And when you want to take it out I can help, *be the muscle*