Need your help...

Casper

I'm looking at getting a new bike. Well, I should rephrase that. I'm buying a new bike next weekend. I'm looking for something fast, but comfortable for long rides. By long rides, I mean like from here to Nashville or Chicago. I went and looked at the Honda 919 today. I like it alot. As of right now, its the one I'm going to buy. However, I was wondering if there are any other bikes I should be looking at and if there's anything I should know about the 919. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I think NurkVinny or someone has a 919 for sale..

I would give the interceptors (VFR) a good look. They are very technologically advanced. ABS, VTEC, etc. Here is an article about a 2002.

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_0204_int/

Dont rule out goldwings either. Anymore they are very nice, and geared more for twisties than ever.

Guest 1_slow_600
Have you looked at the Suzuki Sv1000s? They hade one at ask in grove city it was burnt orange full fairings looked nice. Im not real sure if there fast but I sat on it and it felt like a comfy ride.

I do not like the sport touring bikes. Just not my thing. I like sport bikes and naked sport bikes. But I'm wanting something that will be good for long distances.

These two do not go together. There are sportbikes that are 'more comfortable' but none that could be called supremely comfortable and good for long distances. Some people can tough it out, though and it doesn't bother them as much.

How about a ZX-12 or a Hayabusa? You might also look at a ZX-9. The seats on them suck (at least in my opinion), but that is nothing a Corbin can't fix. What was you last bike?

Hayabusa?

On a slightly unrelated note we (Ben and I) went to Honda NW yesterday and they had a Busa there. I sat on it and it looked rediclious (I'm ~5'9"). It was pretty funny.

I liked the CBR's and GSXR from just sitting on them, but oddly enough the CBR 600 felt too small (lenght wise), whereas the CBR 1000RR felt perfect. They didn't have any GSXR600, but the 750 and 1000 I sat on I liked. Who the fuck fits on an R6? That was one of the talest bikes I sat on there, and I sat on some of the big 'sport touring/naked' bikes too. You'd have to be 6'+ to be comfortable on one of those.

As a 919 owner, I will tell you a person can ride all day comfortably. A corbin seat would be a great help, also. The 919 turns easier than most crotch rockets. Wheelies are no problem if you're into that; change out the sprocket, and they become very easy.

And, as mentioned by someone above, I have one for sale -

http://nurkvinny.com/2002_919.htm

As a 919 owner, I will tell you a person can ride all day comfortably. A corbin seat would be a great help, also. The 919 turns easier than most crotch rockets. Wheelies are no problem if you're into that; change out the sprocket, and they become very easy.

And, as mentioned by someone above, I have one for sale -

http://nurkvinny.com/2002_919.htm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd be looking at 2004 or newer 919s because they didn't have adjustable suspension until then. The 2003 and prior 919s had a problem with the front tire wanting to walk during tight turns.

EDIT by NurkVinny - Crap - sorry, I hit 'EDIT' instead of quote. :) Please see reply below.

I have known my bike since new (bought it from a great friend on here, 'bbboti', who bought it with 0 miles), and I can say it has zero issues during light turning, or any other turning . He is a big guy; I am ~180. Neither of us ever had an issue riding solo or with a passenger.

As far as adjustability, I can't imagine what you would want to change about the handling. 'True' crotch rocket owners never like to hear that the 919 has a better feel while leaning than their 'track' bikes. I didn't understand either, until I rode the 919 for the first time.

I will PM price, miles, etc.

Thanks.

On a slightly unrelated note we (Ben and I) went to Honda NW yesterday and they had a Busa there. I sat on it and it looked rediclious (I'm ~5'9"). It was pretty funny.

I've sat on them myself. I feel ridiculous because the bike is so long compared to how tall I am. They are nice and low though - one of the few sport/sport-touring bikes that I can put both feet down on and feel comfortable.

The 919s didn't come with compression/rebound damping adjusters? Nurkvinny, how experienced are you if you are worrying about things like that?

edit: Dumbass me - I meant Ben, not Vinny.

I've sat on them myself. I feel ridiculous because the bike is so long compared to how tall I am. They are nice and low though - one of the few sport/sport-touring bikes that I can put both feet down on and feel comfortable.

The 919s didn't come with compression/rebound damping adjusters? Nurkvinny, how experienced are you if you are worrying about things like that?

edit: Dumbass me - I meant Ben, not Vinny.

I'm experienced enough now that I want to cause bodily harm to myself. Hahaha. I grew up riding dirt bikes and four wheelers. Had a motorcycles when I was younger. Bought one last year to "freshen" up on my riding skills. I'm not looking to get a bike that will last me several years. I may just end up buying a cruiser now, and a sport bike later.

Vinny, I'll PM you back later tonight.

I absoultely love my shadow, it's very comfortable, and as far as reliability, it's got over 30000 miles and is an 1989, and EVERYTING works like new. It's the 1100 model, so it easily crusies down the freeway, and is Kinda quick. It's by no means fast though. it handles good, and gets decent mileage. I would not hesitate to ride it anywhere, as long as it's not gonna be too cold. Nuts go numb after a while. If you want something with a crusier look, and ride quality, but with sport bike speed, you might want to check into the Yamaha VMAX. they're supposed to go like 10.5 in the quarter, and there are a LOT of upgrades available. I'll most likely be looking into one in the spring.

VMAX's are bad ass but they are talking about bringing out an ALL NEW model in either 07 or 08. Even if you don't want a new one, TONS of parts available for them. Easily a 9-second cruiser. The only problem is they have shit for mileage. It's like a V-ROD with the little ass tank under the seat. If you get over 100-miles to a tank you are lucky.... Otherwise very fun bike and does great rolling burn outs... :)

VMAX's are bad ass but they are talking about bringing out an ALL NEW model in either 07 or 08. Even if you don't want a new one, TONS of parts available for them. Easily a 9-second cruiser. The only problem is they have shit for mileage. It's like a V-ROD with the little ass tank under the seat. If you get over 100-miles to a tank you are lucky.... Otherwise very fun bike and does great rolling burn outs... :)

Small tank or shitty mileage or both?

V-Max...yum...