What equipment/brand do you recommend?jackets/helmets?

fooswinger

Try it on at Iron Pony, but get it from ebay or other internet sites, for much cheaper.

This is like asking which oil is best, everyone will have their own opinion. Find what fits you well and is comfortable. Wear it every ride. Spend lots on the jacket and helmet. Sweat comes off in the shower, road rash and skin grafts aren't as pleasant.

Alpinestars, Icon, Joe Rocket all make nice leather (jacket and gloves)

Arai, Shoei, Suomy nice helmets. Good helmet will be lighter, better fit and ventilation than cheaper helmets.

I may have left out some, no offense to anyone, like I said everyone will have a different opinion.

I have a shoei helmet, and i love it. the only downside to shoei is that there stuff is pretty expensive, but very worth it. I also have a joerockets leather jacket, it seemed like the best quality jacket for the price, and without all of the tackey logos and advritising. and it has saved my skin once already.

Stay away from the ICON gloves that have the metal finger covers. Bad idea if you go down..... :(

can you please eliabroate on this? i was planning on buying icon gloves, just cause im buying all icon stuff, but if they are bad for some reason then i will stay away from them. they also kinda look gay.

what is better timax or leather?

The short answer is: when you go down, the metal slides on the pavement and HEATS UP. Instead of protecting your hands, it will burn your hands underneath and cause a lot more pain. The faster you are going when the gloves make contact, the worse it is. I have seen and heard about this many....many....times with those gloves. :(

i bought icon stuff first, now i have Suomy Extreme Barros helmet(best helmet in my opinion). it is VERY light and the alcantara interior is plush and soft. Haven't ridden with it yet, supposedly it's pretty loud, but that's fine with me since i'll be wearing earplugs while racing. Get leather, i bought a icon mesh jacket and it was fine when it's like 70+, but if it's chilly BURRRR! plus leather is def. better if you go down. make sure to get some pants and boots as well. i now just wear my one piece race suit and my a* smx-plus boots. but this way is very expensive

Suomy Extreme Barros- 649.95

A* GP1 gloves-100

A* SMX-plus boots-280

Komodo Race Suit-699

i didnt pay nearly that much though(sponsors), but remember, what's the price of your safety?

I have an HJC CL-14 that I got from Iron Pony for $130. Fits my head well (actually fits me better than the Arai or Shoei's do), and it breathes well. It is kind of noisy, but I wear earplugs, too, so it's not a huge problem. My only complaint is that it is somewhat heavy compared to other brands.

I would like, at some point to buy a Scorpion EXO-700, and, if I can ever find it, a Roof helmet.

I bought a balaclava to wear under the helmet when it gets cold - helps keep my breath off of the faceshield and the wind off of my neck.

The Shoei I had before I sold my old back was a nice helmet, but it just didn't fit my head right. It would press against my jaw and cause it to ache and it also rubbed my ears and would cause discomfort there. Just something to be aware of. I noticed that even the new Shoei's still do this to me, so, I guess I just don't have a 'Shoei head'.

I have a Fiieldsheer mesh jacket (with armor in in the back, shorlders and elbows). I've ridden with this jacket on in 40 degree weather with it's liner zipped in, and it was chilly. Above 50 degrees, it is fine. http://www.brocktoncycle.com/eshopprod_cat_333-16791_product_95180.Fieldsheer_Mach_1_Green_Mesh.htm

I also have Fieldsheer textile jacket for when it gets really cold:

For my hands I have some Alpinestars textile gloves. They fit well and protect my hands above 50 degrees and from all the debris on the road. http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydirect/productPagedetailsBrand.asp/ImageName/ASTARSMX6BL.JPG/Brand=ALPINESTARS/Class2/Gloves/Class3/Street%20Gloves-Mens/Class1/

I also have a set of kevlar reinforced leather gloves (forget the brand). They seem to breathe well but still keep my hands warm when it's cold.

For boots I have a set of Nitro Matrix boots: http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydirect/productPagedetailsBrand.asp/ImageName/NITROMATRIXBOOTwomens.jpg/Brand=NITRO/Class2/Footwear/Class3/Street%20Boots-Womens/Class1/

I have yet to crash test any of this stuff.

The important thing, when buying a helmet is to get one that is snug. When you fasten it, you should hold the helmet and make sure that it doesn't want to slide up and down or side to side on your head. If it isn't kind of tight when you put it on, then it is too large.

Look for a helmet with a removable liner so you can wash it.

What kind of bike did you get?

The short answer is: when you go down, the metal slides on the pavement and HEATS UP. Instead of protecting your hands, it will burn your hands underneath and cause a lot more pain. The faster you are going when the gloves make contact, the worse it is. I have seen and heard about this many....many....times with those gloves. :(

What about ones that have are made of nomex/fingers covered with carbon fiber and kevlar?

I wear a Heins-Gericke Yamaha Factory Racing leater jacket and have Alpine Stars GP Plus gloves, Bieffe helmet right now. I love all my gear. it all fits/wears well. Under all of it is normal clothes in the summer, with the exception of Underarmour when chilly.

What about ones that have are made of nomex/fingers covered with carbon fiber and kevlar?

I depends on the gloves but you need to check what's under the carbon/kevlar, etc...for added protection. The biggest thing is padded fingers and the stitching. Most of the problems I have seen after someone has gone down are with the fingers coming apart.

It depends on the brand but generally the more you pay the better they are going be but once again that depends on the brand....