Best Car Route to Charleston,WV ?

Prodeje79

Hello,

I have looked up on several sites, from yahoo Maps, google maps, mapquest, to AAA Trip tick.

Anyone here have a recommendation that they have actually driven?

The best ones so far involve 23 South or 33 South.

If someone can provide exact details from personal experience all the way to the Civic Center Mall, that would be appreciated.

I will be leaving from Pickerington, near 33. I want the quickest route possible.

I appreciate any help. :>

Interstate 77 is the best bet, but how you get there is up to you. If you are like me and get bored with running cruise control in a straight line take 33 all the way to Ravenswood WV, where you get onto I77 South. I take 33 a good bit to go to Marietta, but I've never been on it past Athens so I have no idea what it's like. Your other option would be to take I70 East and then jump onto I77 South. If you go that way it's about 3.5 hours, I have no idea how long it would take if you use 33.

I can't help you with navigating Charleston though, I've only been through there a couple times. Watch the signs though, I know that at one point you have to get into the left lane to stay on 77, but it just depends on where your exit is at. Charleston is no where near the size of Columbus, maybe a bit bigger than Lancaster, so it shouldn't be that big of a deal to get around.

33 south through lancaster is pretty nice now that the bypass is open all the way. That saves about an honest half hour through lancaster traffic. Of course I haven't been much past athens either, theres a few bars there that I just can't seem to pass :)

I drive that quite a bit and every route possible. Take the bypass around lancaster, all the way to ravenswood. Then get on 77 south. I know I'm repeating someone else but I'm just speaking from experience.

Any opinions on this route?

23S to Chillicothe

35S quite a ways to 64 in WV

Take that into Charleston, WV.

I have taken this route many, many times and I recommend it. You can drive quickly on the four lane roads, keep your eyes open for cops in OH like Mike said. WV you can go as fast as traffic allows. I think it's a very pleasant drive.

I just did this 2 weeks ago on 33 all the way down to 77. DO NOT go more than 5 MPH over the limit around southern OH.

And when you're in Charleston, stop in to Quaker Steak and Lube, it's off 119 in south Charleston next to the Walmart, my dad just opened it.

I appreciate everyones responses!

It is hard for me to NOT take 33 seeing I am right off it.

Any opinions on this route?

23S to Chillicothe

taken that route many, MANY times from Circleville. now that they have 35 opened it is a lot nicer. only thing i would be leary about is the time of day you are traveling. as soon as you leave the state you have to take a 2-lane for about 20miles or so to get to 64. the 2-lane runs along the river and is filled with no passing zones, also watch out for deer if traveling at night!

WOW interesting! Thanks again ppl! Tough decision, maybe I will go one way down and another way up. :>

So you got a coupon/discount for me for Quaker steak?? :>

I may go 33 cause I really want Sonic, and I do not know of a closer one. :>

If you take 33, be careful. The Highway Patrol use to use planes to catch speeders along the new bypass around Lancaster, not sure if they still are doing that though. I go to OU and have driven from Lancaster to Athens many times and here are the places where they usually sit:

- The rest stop north of Logan. (It's a speed trap, 65 to a 60)

- About 1 mile south of the rest stop near Lake Logan there is a bend in the road, where they usually sit in the median.

- South of Logan where the freeway turns into 2 lanes.

Between Nelsonville and Athens you are pretty much home free. Just pay attention to the speed limit signs, because they have been changing them. I have gone 70 MPH many times, just be smart about. Hope that helps!

WOW interesting! Thanks again ppl! Tough decision, maybe I will go one way down and another way up. :>

So you got a coupon/discount for me for Quaker steak?? :>

I may go 33 cause I really want Sonic, and I do not know of a closer one. :>

Ask for Bob Bolan the owner and tell him your know his son, Robert from Columbus, he might give you a little off.

And try the Pennsylvania Spicy Garlic wings, they're my favorite.

Between Nelsonville and Athens you are pretty much home free. Just pay attention to the speed limit signs, because they have been changing them. I have gone 70 MPH many times, just be smart about. Hope that helps!

Last time I went through there it was a posted 55 through that whole stretch, once it becomes a four lane divided out of Nelsonville. Has that changed?

Last time I went through there it was a posted 55 through that whole stretch, once it becomes a four lane divided out of Nelsonville. Has that changed?

I forgot about that stretch, it is still 55 from Nelsonville to Athens. However, Athens is only 10 - 15 minutes away from Nelsonville. It's an easy drive though.

I forgot about that stretch, it is still 55 from Nelsonville to Athens. However, Athens is only 10 - 15 minutes away from Nelsonville. It's an easy drive though.

Oh, were you talking about a different section of 33? I'm confused now

taken that route many, MANY times from Circleville. now that they have 35 opened it is a lot nicer. only thing i would be leary about is the time of day you are traveling. as soon as you leave the state you have to take a 2-lane for about 20miles or so to get to 64. the 2-lane runs along the river and is filled with no passing zones, also watch out for deer if traveling at night!

FYI in case anyone else needs to go to Charleston...........

I ended up taking the:

23S to Chillicothe

I made it in under 3 hours including stopping to fill the minivans tank.

Thanks again for everyones help!