The best LSX tuner in Cbus

Sam1647545489

Some of you may now Eric Sgambellone. He is the guy that has the silver ZO6 that rolls out with me on the weekends. I have had him tune my car the other night with the stock maf and he was able to take my car from speed density and turn the maf back on, tweek the maf in the ve table and was able to pick up some more rwhp from my car. He has also done all of IPS LSX powered cars and has done his car as well. He has taken his cam only car and was able to get 430rwhp out of it with still a very safe tune. My car is at the 450rwhp right now with still a rich a/f. I told him to leave it alitte rich for my spray since I am hitting a big shot on my car. If you dont know either of us then you should know John linn in the pewter camaro. Eric tuned this car to a nice 440 rwhp on speed density. He still need to turn the maf back on in his car and it should be a 450rwhp car. Eric knows all the ve tables so you can keep your stock maf on modded cars and not have to go to speed density. This guy has a great lsx record and I would not let anyone else touch my tune other then him. He is in conjunction with dynotune and IPS. Their webpages my be found in my sig and they can get in contact with him for your needs.

Eric Sgamebellone for your LSX tuning needs.

You should see the LS2 tables :)

Then there's the LS7, they have SEVEN VE tables to play with :D

there is a local tunner that doesnt even touch the VE tables, the only changes he makes is to the PE (power enrichment) tables.

i know because that was all the was changed on my old so called "tune".

with my new setup my car has been speed density for the last month and when i get the tranny fixed the maf will be turned back on.

Eric will be the only person to ever touch the tune in my car. Eric can be reached at 614-348-2380 or call IPS at 614-444-5884

Lol, PE only kicks in after a certain throttle percentage is reached, I believe 75%?

VE (Volumetric Efficiency) is across the ENTIRE RPM band. How can you effectively tune a car across it's entire powerband using a table designed for part of it? Then you have the idle, part throttle tuning/driveability, etc that all utilize the VE tables.

It's like saying you're only tuning your car for when you wanna pass someone or go WOT. Forget about driving it around, just keep your foot to the floor and that VE table will be useless :lol:

Again, I'm not impressed by the "God of Ohio Tuning". In addition to the "local tuner who uses VE tables", I also use the co-writer of EFI Live Flashscan and the genius behind '98 FI cars running SD and running well into the 8s and 9s for tuning. Guess what they tune in addition to PE tables?

VE tables. This senseless drivel some of you seem to be stuck on seems to be along the same lines of the Tornado Air Management System and Fuel Rail Magnetic Ionizer. Shall I ask which tuner you recommend to blow head gaskets?

The PE table is only commanding the motor to go a certain A/F ratio at WOT. So are you telling me the correct way to tune a car is to command different A/F ratios for wide-open throttle tuning? Wouldn’t it make sense to command 11.0 and get 11.0, not command 14.0 and get 11.0. The VE table does affect the A/F ratio in all circumstances.

"THE OTHER TUNNER'S" tune for my car was just changing the PE table and nothing else. This caused my car to run lean in the winter and rich in the summer and this will cause every other car that he tunes to do the same thing. He tuned Tilley’s car the same way and has tuned other H/C cars this way as well. No one touched the tune in Tilley’s car except "THE OTHER TUNNER" and look what happened to his motor there is a whole in the piston the size of a quarter. No one ever tuned Sam’s red vette and my popped head gasket was not caused by my tune, I had zero knock when I sprayed my car with a 100 shot.

I’ve also seen "THE OTHER TUNNER" pull lsx cars off the dyno because of popped head gaskets so you should be careful when talking about that subject.

You've contradicted yourself and said "other" tuned only the VE table previously, now you're saying they only tuned the PE table. Which is it?

BTW, from YOUR mouth at the Schott, not three weeks ago.

"The tune in my car caused me to pop both head gaskets. The tuner had my timing up to 27*, but it only gained 8rwhp over the previous mark, caused me to run lean, and blew both the head gaskets."

Again, I have my reservations. He's registered on here, have him describe his tuning abilities without using a liason.

Lol, PE only kicks in after a certain throttle percentage is reached, I believe 75%??

Yes that is true.

VE (Volumetric Efficiency) is across the ENTIRE RPM band. How can you effectively tune a car across it's entire powerband using a table designed for part of it? Then you have the idle, part throttle tuning/driveability, etc that all utilize the VE tables.

I agree, Eric does tune using VE table the "other tuner" does not.

It's like saying you're only tuning your car for when you wanna pass someone or go WOT. Forget about driving it around, just keep your foot to the floor and that VE table will be useless .

first off, the VE table is used at WOT. why does the "other tuner" only tune using the PE table and seem to make the VE table useless.

I also use the co-writer of EFI Live Flashscan and the genius behind '98 FI cars running SD and running well into the 8s and 9s for tuning. Guess what they tune in addition to PE tables?

The VE table like Eric does unlike the "other tuner"

VE tables. This senseless drivel some of you seem to be stuck on seems to be along the same lines of the Tornado Air Management System and Fuel Rail Magnetic Ionizer. Shall I ask which tuner you recommend to blow head gaskets?

The VE are senseless?? They are the basis for calculated airflow in lsx motors.

Which tuner would you recommend to blow head gaskets or motors????

You've contradicted yourself and said "other" tuned only the VE table previously, now you're saying they only tuned the PE table. Which is it?

BTW, from YOUR mouth at the Schott, not three weeks ago.

"The tune in my car caused me to pop both head gaskets. The tuner had my timing up to 27*, but it only gained 8rwhp over the previous mark, caused me to run lean, and blew both the head gaskets."

Again, I have my reservations. He's registered on here, have him describe his tuning abilities without using a liason.

I never contradicted myself, I said the other tuner meaning bill wright. bill only tunes with the PE table and nothing else, is that clear enough for you?

Again you are putting words in my mouth. My car never had 27 degrees of timing. I never told you anything about rwhp, I made sure of that. My car never went lean and I never mentioned anything about my A/F to you or anyone because I never had an issue with it. I never said anything about blowing both head gaskets. What I said was I had a small leak from one of head gasket. however I did tell you I was running 26 degrees of timing with 0 knock.

And this is me posting knowing more about tuning lsx car than you do, remember i did by HP tuners.

Bill has been tuning my car for three years, and he's used the VE tables extensively, as well as the PE table.

I dunno why you insist he doesn't use them, I was understanding that you were saying Eric doesn't use the VEs. I was saying "senseless" in referring to your claim that the VE tables aren't changed. I know for a fact that they are and always have been.

No matter. And yes, you can deny all day you didn't say those things. You did, although maybe you'd said 26* and not 27*. You also clearly blamed the tune on your head gaskets popping, but it was fixed in the tune the next time around.

But you guys claiming Eric is a God, he clearly is not IMO. I've had several tunes run through the hands of professional tuners with thousands of vehicles and years of experience behind them, and seen/spoken with them extensively. If anyone masters tuning, it would be them. I challenge Eric to show his skills against them, Bill included.

Bill has been tuning my car for three years, and he's used the VE tables extensively, as well as the PE table.

I dunno why you insist he doesn't use them, I was understanding that you were saying Eric doesn't use the VEs. I was saying "senseless" in referring to your claim that the VE tables aren't changed. I know for a fact that they are and always have been.

No matter. And yes, you can deny all day you didn't say those things. You did, although maybe you'd said 26* and not 27*. You also clearly blamed the tune on your head gaskets popping, but it was fixed in the tune the next time around.

But you guys claiming Eric is a God, he clearly is not IMO. I've had several tunes run through the hands of professional tuners with thousands of vehicles and years of experience behind them, and seen/spoken with them extensively. If anyone masters tuning, it would be them. I challenge Eric to show his skills against them, Bill included.

1. bill tuned my car and did nothing to the VE tables, Fact

2. bill has tuned other cars and did nothing to the VE tables, Fact

Would you like to look at my tune to verify that or would you like to look at Tilley’s

If bill is such a good tuner why was he asking me, Sam and Tilley how much timing to pull out of Tilley’s car for spray?

3. My tune is the same as was before the head gasket leaked and I have sprayed the car with no problems since the new head gaskets. Therefore the tune is not in question. Fact

4. I never blamed the tune, I said it could have been one of five things: bad heads gaskets, knock (tune), the block was not being cleaned properly, the arp bolts stretched or the bolts were not torque to spec.

5. No one ever said Eric was the "god" of LSx tuning, we are saying he is better than all other Ohio based tuners

What do you have against Eric???

Hey all,

My name is Eric and I am the LSx tuner with Dyno Tune Motorsports. It seems that I have been the topic of conversation here in the Speed Shop recently. I'm not sure how everything has exploded from Sam posting that I did a good job for him to this, but I hope I can clear some things up.

I would first like to state that at this point in time, none of the cars/trucks that I have done have had any problems related to my tuning.

As far as Linn's car goes, he did have a head gasket lift after the heads/cam package was installed on his car, and this happened after I had tuned it. I will not deny that this happened, but I will deny that it was caused by the tune in the car. Linn is still currently using that same safe tune I provided for him before he lifted a gasket, and has had no problems whatsoever. I have not touched Linn's car since the first time I tuned it. Why is my tune being blamed for this?

Apparently there is a rumor that I tuned Tilley's car and Sam's old red Vette. I don't know where people are getting this info from, but it certainly is not true as you can ask either of them.

You were asking me to prove my tuning abilities to everyone. In response to this, I do have some dyno sheets of cars that I had saved. I am not saying that I am the best tuner out there, but I can see that people are very happy with my work and I appreciate them supporting me.

So, here's some examples.....

A cam/bolt-on F-Body

http://dieseldigital.net/images/dynosheets/CamTA.JPG

A heads/cam/bolt-on Speed Density F-Body

http://dieseldigital.net/images/dynosheets/HeadCamZ28.JPG

A cam/bolt-on Corvette

http://dieseldigital.net/images/dynosheets/CamZ06.JPG

A heads/cam/bolt-on Corvette (which is no longer running speed density as shown in this graph, but is currently making 446rwhp)

http://dieseldigital.net/images/dynosheets/HeadCamZ06.JPG

Lastly, I was just wondering why I am "clearly not" a good tuner? I am lost as to why this statement was made towards me and on what basis was it made? I have never had a complaint by any of my customers, and I will make sure I keep it that way for the rest of my time spent at Dyno Tune Motorsports.

Eric

Nothing like a thread that turned praise into a bashing against certain people. Personally I think/thought this secton was for sponsors, either people introducing new sponsors or current sponsors posting about themselves.

Let's get some facts posted here instead of some BS.

Let's start with John Linn.

When I tuned his car, I did not have to tune the VE table. The reason being, his car mods at the time was a lid, headers, & LT headers, basic bolt ons. There is no reason to tune the VE table since he had very little done to the car. When you use a MAF on GM LS1 cars the VE table is not the only fueling table used, it's only part of it. If you know how the GM LS1 PCM uses a MAF sensor and VE table for fueling, then you would understand.

6 months or so after I tuned John's car, he was unhappy. He said his A/F ratio was either lean or rich, I don't remember. I asked him if he changed anything on the car and he said yes, the MAF sensor. I told him thats the problem, not every MAF sensor is the same. Was I at fault, no, he changed parts, out of my control.

As for my personal car head gasket problem, I thought I had a problem before I even got on the dyno, the dyno just verified it. After doing some reasearch and talking to people in the know, I figured that the main reason why my head gasket failed was not due to the tune but due to either, not torquing the new stock heads bolts properly and/or not cleaning the block surface good enough. I wasn't even spraying any N20. My timing was at 27 degrees and my A/F was about 12.5, so how is that a bad tune? If anything, it's on the safe side.

Let's talk about John Tilley's car. Yes I tuned it with a safe tune since he was going to be spraying N20. I think I set the timing at 24 or 26 and his N/A A/F about 12.5. Did I adjust the VE table, yes I did, but in the lower RPM ranges. He was still using his MAF sensor. I did ask what timing to set it to since he was spraying N20, I asked because I didn't know how much he was going to spray. On average, people pull out 2 degrees of timing for every 50-75 shot of N20.

If a car owner ups the shot size and doesn't recheck the A/F and doesn't pull any timing out, how can I be responsible? Again, out of my control when the car leaves me.

Just because I am not in the CR loop, that doesn't mean I don't hear things, I know alot of people and I get calls time to time about some interesting stuff that goes on. Just for the recorded, I heard from two people that don't really know each other, told me that John Tilly's car tune was modified from when I tuned it and that was the reason it got a hole in the piston, I think I was told it had too much timing. All I know, was that they were trying to get more HP out of it for a future race, two different people, same story, hmmmmm.

Am I the best LSx tuner around, hell no, but I think I am pretty damn good and have a good track recorded. I have tuned well over 50 LSx cars, all with good results. I feel I have the most experience then anyone else in Central Ohio for LSx PCM tuning. The people that keep bashing me (on and offline) are the same ones, so what does that tell you...

As for my credentials:

- 2 year degree in Electronic Engineering

- I build and test Cell Phone systems for a living at Lucent for the past 9 years

- I personally was taught a lot about tuning from Steve Pilic (Steve use to work at GM as a Engine dyno tuner for 8 years and also built Brian and Howards dyno)

- Took EFI 101 class

- Tuned over 50 LSx cars over the past 3 years

- I tune the VE table when needed (lower and upper RPM ranges)

- Tuned my own car well over 100 times, trying new things on my car before customer cars

Maybe before people talk about certain things, they should get their technical facts straight. Do your research and know what you are talking about before spreading BS info on and offline.

Some people might think the VE table is some magical fueling table, it's not, especially is you know how the GM LSx PCMs work.

Have a good day.

Bill Wright

Let's start with John Linn.

When I tuned his car, I did not have to tune the VE table. The reason being, his car mods at the time was a lid, headers, & LT headers, basic bolt ons. There is no reason to tune the VE table since he had very little done to the car. When you use a MAF on GM LS1 cars the VE table is not the only fueling table used, it's only part of it. If you know how the GM LS1 PCM uses a MAF sensor and VE table for fueling, then you would understand.

6 months or so after I tuned John's car, he was unhappy. He said his A/F ratio was either lean or rich, I don't remember. I asked him if he changed anything on the car and he said yes, the MAF sensor. I told him thats the problem, not every MAF sensor is the same. Was I at fault, no, he changed parts, out of my control.

I told you I was having lean/rich problems with my car and that I changed the maf to try to help this problem. I then told you that after I changed the maf the car was running 11.5s A/F all the time. You told me because I changed the maf you couldn’t help me but my initial problem was there before I changed the maf and never corrected.

Also my car should have been tuned with the VE table as I was paying you to tune my car and that is part of the tune or adjusting the maf. Just changing my PE table a small percent of tuning a car.

I’ve spoken with numerous tuners across the country and they have all said the same thing about just tuning with just the PE table, that is just not how you tune a lsx motor. they said that you can tune with out the VE table but you have to adjust the maf which was not adjusted on my car.

As for my personal car head gasket problem, I thought I had a problem before I even got on the dyno, the dyno just verified it. After doing some reasearch and talking to people in the know, I figured that the main reason why my head gasket failed was not due to the tune but due to either, not torquing the new stock heads bolts properly and/or not cleaning the block surface good enough. I wasn't even spraying any N20. My timing was at 27 degrees and my A/F was about 12.5, so how is that a bad tune? If anything, it's on the safe side.

I was using this as an example for Anthony because there are many reasons why new head gaskets can go bad.

Let's talk about John Tilley's car. Yes I tuned it with a safe tune since he was going to be spraying N20. I think I set the timing at 24 or 26 and his N/A A/F about 12.5. Did I adjust the VE table, yes I did, but in the lower RPM ranges. He was still using his MAF sensor. I did ask what timing to set it to since he was spraying N20, I asked because I didn't know how much he was going to spray. On average, people pull out 2 degrees of timing for every 50-75 shot of N20.

Just because I am not in the CR loop, that doesn't mean I don't hear things, I know alot of people and I get calls time to time about some interesting stuff that goes on. Just for the recorded, I heard from two people that don't really know each other, told me that John Tilly's car tune was modified from when I tuned it and that was the reason it got a hole in the piston, I think I was told it had too much timing. All I know, was that they were trying to get more HP out of it for a future race, two different people, same story, hmmmmm.

Well if we are going to talk about rumors I have a built motor and spray my car with a 300 shot and make 850 rwhp. This is a rumor i hear every weekend.

I've also heard rumors of you making cars run rich on the street and then when cars get on the dyno you lean them out so the car show a significant gain.

Rumors are rumors and should be left as hearsay.

Wow this thread has exploded. All I wanted to say was that Eric did a great job tuning my car and that there is another person here in Cbus that can tune LSX motors other then bill. I wasnt bashing bill or saying he was a bad tuner, I just think Eric did a great job on my car. I would like to clear up some rumors that Anthony has told that he heard.

Rumor 1. My red 98 C5 was tuned by Eric when it blew 3 head gaskets. The truth is I never even knew eric at that time. And secondly I never had that car tuned or had it touched by anyone but me. I never did anything, I just strapped a 150 shot on it and rolled with the stock. My fault for the car destroying head gaskets.

Rumor 2. Eric modified Tilleys tune before it blew up. This is also false. I bought a HP tuner cable for 01 and 04 vettes so that me and tilley could share the cable to tune our cars. Never once did that cable ever enter into tilleys car. At this time was when I met eric, he told me he had the cable for 00 f bodies and 03 vettes. So there is no way he could of used his cable to tune tilleys car. He would of had to came and got mine to touch tilleys tune. Did this ever happen, no. My cable was always in my hands and possesion. So Bill when tilleys car did go pop, your tune was still in it. The one you put on it when he dynoed it after installing the cam and spray.

This is one of the bad things about the car scene. There are alot of rumors goin around about peoples cars and what is done to them. Heck Eric called me one day and told me he was talking to a guy from the west side that supposely heard that my car is a TT 427 making over 1100 hp. Now as much as I wish that was true, it is far from the truth. I never even heard of the guy that said that. So you cant believe everything.

So some of you may like Bill as a tuner, good for you, this whole thread was to help a friend of mine, Eric, get his name out there since he was not on CR. I also think Eric is as good if not better the Bill, but that is just my opinion. So like before you guys have a choice to who you want to tune your car. Bill is no longer the sole LSX tuner in Cbus. There are varieties now. I personally will stick with Eric and his tuning abilities and he will be the only one tuning my car.

Just for the recorded, I heard from two people that don't really know each other, told me that John Tilly's car tune was modified from when I tuned it and that was the reason it got a hole in the piston, I think I was told it had too much timing. All I know, was that they were trying to get more HP out of it for a future race, two different people, same story, hmmmmm.

Well, for the record, Bill, you are the only person who tuned my Z06. No sure how I can make that any clearer - this should put at least that issue to rest.

Oh, and BTW, if I ever actually thought for a second that your tune was responsible for the hole forming in my piston, then you wouldn't have had to wait for rumors to circle around to you; instead, I would have contacted you immediately.

Eric Z06 hasn't tuned my car at all; I'm only calling him a tuning "god" because (1) he's my friend and I want to support him; (2) those who have had him tune their cars have said good things about him; and (3) it's a great way to get Anthony all fired up. :)

John, you'd etter be out tonight. You have a smootch coming from me ;)

Rumors are rumors, and unfortunately, they all get to people one way or another. I didn't like what I'd heard about Eric, and not once did he ever come on here or contact anyone I knew in person other than a handful of guys.

Bill will still be tuning my car, I've had nothing but respect and positive experiences with him. I also have one of those PITA ones to deal with, so that goes to say something more.

More power to Eric, and if he wants to use CR as a resource base as many others do, all he has to do is get with me and we'll discuss things.

Now everyone back off, the Formula has a transmission now :D