To sell or not to sell the Moostang, and what to replace it with

Nitrousbird

Well, I have a serious offer from a friend to buy my Moostang. He has a riced out Civic he bought that way cheap (he hates how it looks, and de-riced it as much as he could while adding a turbo; probably high-14 second car at best). Well, he found a sucker to buy it, and now he wants my car.

Here's the issue. The Jimmy is for sale (not running), and I have no desire to ever drive it again. The Avalanche is my daily driver. The Formula, once it is back together, is only a weekend toy/take it to the track/every once in the while evening car. I'll never drive it to work, or anything like that.

The Mustang is very reliable. It needs probably $50 in parts tops and several hours of labor to get it back to where I want it (exhaust issues). I don't need the money for it at all, and would hate to dump an asset, as the car isn't going to really depreciate any more than it has. It looks decent cleaned up, and is something other than a truck to drive around in the summer; plus is a fun stick car, even though it is a typical slow Moostang. Though I don't need a second toy/daily driver, never hurts to have a backup.

That being said, I'd probably want to replace it with something else that is fun. But I don't have the spare funds over the sale price to replace it. I think he would buy it from me for $2500-3000.

Let's say I have 3k to spend. What kind of fun, sports-type car could I really get for that? Something I don't have to dump a ton of time/money into, and something I won't mod much. FWD is not an option. AWD/RWD only. I want something fun to drive and I don't want a bike. Doesn't have to be super fast.

I'm sure I could get an early MKII MR2 N/A for that. I love those cars, but might be a tad slow for my tastes. Guess I could spray it. Other suggestions would be appreciated. Again, NO ECONOMY CARS AND NOTHING FRONT WHEEL DRIVE, PERIOD.

Either keep it or sell it and invest the money you don't need another car. You need to put the engine in the Jimmy and sell the damn thing and invest that money also.

No one will hate you Joe if you think for the future instead of the now now now. ;)

Either keep it or sell it and invest the money you don't need another car. You need to put the engine in the Jimmy and sell the damn thing and invest that money also.

No one will hate you Joe if you think for the future instead of the now now now. ;)

I have a 401k and an IRA Tommy, I do invest a bit of money. :) That, and some stocks that bombed. :rolleyes: But this isn't about investing, it's about keeping the car vs. replacing it with another toy. No option #3.

How many cars do you really need? Getting rid of the Jimmy and the Moostang will definitely save you on car insurence and maintenance costs. With that extra money you can buy more go fast goodies for the ol' bird. You already have your fun weekend/track/meet car, so you can use the Avalanche for anything else that you need. If I were you I would try to keep just those two and not even think about getting another fun car.

If I were to stick with your given options I would keep the Moostang, but it is really hard to pass up cash when given the chance. Just make sure you get the Jimmy back together and sell it. There is nothing worse than a vehicle you cannot use.

Again, I don't "need" the extra cash. And I don't need/want 4 vehicles, which is why I'm getting rid of the Jimmy.

Selling the Moostang would not be a big enough $$ for go-fast goodies for the Formula. It's next step would be big fuel system/big heads/turbo setup = $9,000. That's a good chunk of change that selling the car isn't going to do much for, and is a down-the-road plan anyway; I've just dumped a bunch of cash into a new setup for it already. Otherwise, it just needs nickle and dime stuff right now.

With multi-car discounts, insurance isn't a big enough difference per month for me to give a crap. Honestly, if I got something non-V8, I'd bet my overall insurance would be the same when compared to just the Formula/Avalanche together, so that is a non-factor. Sure there are maintance costs, but the less mileage on the Avalanche = less maintance on it too. Besides, it's nice to have something that's not a monster to drive around (either crazy loud/angry Firebird, or very large truck).

The point is I want 3 cars, and can afford it. And I already HAVE that. I'm just looking for replacement suggestions, or if I should just keep the sucker.

Looking around, I've seen some 92-95 BMW 325's and 318's in that price range, and all look to be in excellent shape, with less miles than my Moostang. Might be a fun car to have, w/ some pimp factor, and probably wouldn't depreciate much more. Anyone have experience with these?

Use it for the house Joe come on we both know it needs some updating and its....GASP an APPRECIATING asset instead of a depreciating one. ;)

I'll work that option 3 in there just you watch me.

But if you don't need the money then just keep it for yourself to mess and toy around in. With gas prices how they are though I would get a gar that is better on gas to drive everyday instead of the Avalanche but that's me.

Use it for the house Joe come on we both know it needs some updating and its....GASP an APPRECIATING asset instead of a depreciating one. ;)

I'll work that option 3 in there just you watch me.

Ugh father. I already have the $$ saved back for the roof that needs done. I'm working on the interior already; I just finished up with the hallway (!flowery-grandma wallpaper, now painted). I'll be pulling the wallpaper in the foyer, front room, and kitchen this year too and painting. But that's time consuming, and not all that expensive. I'll also be doing the floors once all that is done (aka late in the year), and for what I'll be doing and how I'll be spreading out the funds, it isn't a big deal! So the house is being dealt with. As I said before, the Moostang only goes if it is being replaced, otherwise I'm keeping it, PERIOD.

My god people, I'm not rich or well off, but I'm not poor and strapped for cash either!!!

If you want something fun, reasonably quick, and you like MR2's, why not get a MKI MR2 S/C. I know it may not be easy findind one in good condition, but I've know I've always had a soft spot for them and it gives you something different to play with. I believe they were real low 15's stock.

Keep the Mustang, problem solved...

You already know the history of your car, why start over? Keep Mustang, save a few bucks to pay off Avalanche sooner....

The voice of reason has spoken.

Hell, if you want to spend, put a 100s shot on the moostang, keep it for the economy driver and have the option of pushing the button once in a while.

The voice of reason has spoken.

Hell, if you want to spend, put a 100s shot on the moostang, keep it for the economy driver and have the option of pushing the button once in a while.

With 205K+ on the motot, tranny, and rear end I don't think that's a wise idea as it would end up like the Jimmy...sitting in his driveway with a busted motor. ;)

209k on the clock, going strong. May be stock clutch too....I know it is the same one since 90k miles at least. Car has a ton of highway miles on it, burns/leaks maybe 1 quart between oil changes, and hasn't required much in new-parts from 90k to now: water pump, alternator, tie rod end, U-joint, and normal wear items like tires, battery, brake pads, etc.

That said, I don't want to spray/mod this car any further.

e36 325i might be a fun car to have, but with high mileage you'll really need to watch for its reliability. I drove one a while back and it was pretty fun to take on a curvy road although it lacked power.

209k on the clock, going strong. May be stock clutch too....I know it is the same one since 90k miles at least. Car has a ton of highway miles on it, burns/leaks maybe 1 quart between oil changes, and hasn't required much in new-parts from 90k to now: water pump, alternator, tie rod end, U-joint, and normal wear items like tires, battery, brake pads, etc.

That said, I don't want to spray/mod this car any further.

In that case i would sell it for something else. It's only a matter of time before something major breaks (motor/tranny) then your going to HAVE to sink money into it to get it running again.

miata? small, economical, Rwd, tons of aftermarket support.

If you are deadset on getting rid of it, I know what I would buy: Fox Body Mustang. Lighter, easier to work on, look good (in my opinion), just having some basic mods makes them a lot of fun, and they sound great. However, you don't like Mustangs to begin with, so that's probably not gonna happen. Secondly, finding one for $3K that's NOT beat on or ragged out is kinda tough. Finding one like my '86 is a tough thing to do. But that's my $0.02... :nod:

Selling the Mustang would pay off no debt. Sure as hell wouldn't make a dent in my house payment, wouldn't make much of a dent in my Avalanche debt, and would only be a smallish dent in my school loan, but after tax savings at the end of the year, that equals out to about interest free, which means early payoff isn't useful. That's it for debt; I've paid off everything else already.

I don't want a Fox Body. Or any other Mustang.

I can't drive a Miata. Besides it is a bit fagish, I don't fit. At 6'3" 205lbs, I'm a bit big for that car. Same as the other cars of that nature.

RX7 = rotary = no way in hell. And I don't want to put the time/money into a V8 swap. 240/280 is a bit old for what I would want. Same reason I'm not looking at 924's and 944's....I want to stay w/ a 90's car.

So far it's early E36 325 or early MKII MR2 N/A(I don't want a MKI). Any other suggestions?

What happened to your boat?

It's parked behind my house. Motor is totally shot. Should hopefully have a new motor for it in 1-2 weeks. Place up in Michigan sells new crate motor for it for 2k (again people, I've already saved back money for this!). I'm looking at another place in FL to see how much I can score a crate motor from there.....hopefully cheaper, as I gotta add another $250 in upgrades to it. Sadly, rebuilding the old motor is a no go (damaged head, cracked block). And you can't buy a bare block, or even a shortblock, for these motors. :(