Any runners here?

ttemper

I was just curious if there are any runners on CR.

I have to run a 1 1/2 miles in 11:58 by the end of july. I ran it in 20:09 back in February. I've been busting my ass lately, and i've got it down to 14:20 minutes. As time goes by, i'm getting nervous about getting my time down to 11:58.

I realize i've knocked damn near 6 minutes off my time in 3 months, but i seem to have came to a wall. my endurance hasnt went up much in the last 2 weeks or so.

I dont know if i'm over-doing it. I run twice a day every other day. I get pains in my shins, and even though it hurts, i push through it. i've just told myself i cant quit. i've came this far.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help build up my endurance?

TIA

I was just curious if there are any runners on CR.

I have to run a 1 1/2 miles in 11:58 by the end of july. I ran it in 20:09 back in February. I've been busting my ass lately, and i've got it down to 14:20 minutes. As time goes by, i'm getting nervous about getting my time down to 11:58.

I realize i've knocked damn near 6 minutes off my time in 3 months, but i seem to have came to a wall. my endurance hasnt went up much in the last 2 weeks or so.

I dont know if i'm over-doing it. I run twice a day every other day. I get pains in my shins, and even though it hurts, i push through it. i've just told myself i cant quit. i've came this far.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help build up my endurance?

TIA

Tie your self to one end of a rope, and the other end to a car going 7.5mph. I bet you'll keep pace. :D

Guest chpmnsws6

Your not giving your body time to rest. Do sprints on the even days and endurance (till near failure) on the odds. Keep your body plenished (vitamins,plenty of skim milk, protein bars). Ease up if it hurts. Its your bodies way of telling you your doing something wrong.

STRETCH, STRETCH, STRETCH. 15-20 minutes before and ATLEAST 20-30 minutes after any good run. When you stretch, DO NOT bounce. Lots of Bengay on the sore muscles and joints, just keep it off your sac (don't ask me how I know.....)

I'm by no means a marathon runner, or look like it, but running is my thing.

I'm starting to think i'm not giving my body enough time to rest. i've been having pain in my knees, and lower back. i think i'm going to back off a little bit.

My diet is really clean during the week. i tend to slack off on the weekends.

I always stretch, but never 15-20 minutes at a time. i stretch for 5 minutes at the most.

The best way to build up your endurance is to keep running. Even though I'm pretty skinny (everybody equates that with being healthy), when I first started running I was sore everywhere, including getting pains in my shins. You might want to consider running fewer times per week, and if you are getting pains in your shins, try running on a softer surface (like gravel at the park or a high school track if it is available) and buying dedicated running shoes. They may seem expensive, but they really will help you feel better.

Guest chpmnsws6
I'm starting to think i'm not giving my body enough time to rest. i've been having pain in my knees, and lower back. i think i'm going to back off a little bit.

My diet is really clean during the week. i tend to slack off on the weekends.

I always stretch, but never 15-20 minutes at a time. i stretch for 5 minutes at the most.

Looks like you have already found the 3 reasons your not having anymore success. Like with anything (lifting/running) the first few extra pounds added to the bar or time lost is easy, after that, its tooth and nail.

Your body doesn't know when weekends are, so dieting during the week and not during the weekend is a waste of time.

Damn dude, were you walking backwards or something?

haha, i know. it was terrible. i was so out of shape. i've knocked 6 minutes off my time in 3 months. atleast i'm making noticeable progress.

my abs have gotten so much stronger, too. I was only able to do 20-something sit ups in a minute in february. now i can do 40+ and i havent worked them that much. i think it's just the combination of running so much, and having a cleaner diet.

A good way to get rid of shin splints is to ice them, and then roll a tennis ball over your shin. You can even freeze some water in a cup (makes a nice roll shaped piece of ice) and roll that on them.

As for the your lower back, try doing some crunches, it should help stretch it out a lil bit.

I found both of these to work quite well. Also instead of doing the same type of run, try to rotate in some lifting/stair climbing. Good luck!

The reality of it is that you are at a 10 minute mile pace right now. To pass you will need to be just under an 8 minute mile.

I have absolutely no authority on running information other than what works for me but I would get the single mile time down, then increase the distance over time. During the biggest loser competition I ran a good amount and couldnt run a mile at the beginning in under 10 minutes. 10 weeks later I could pretty easily pull a 12 minute 1.5.

Guest chpmnsws6
haha, i know. it was terrible. i was so out of shape. i've knocked 6 minutes off my time in 3 months. atleast i'm making noticeable progress.

my abs have gotten so much stronger, too. I was only able to do 20-something sit ups in a minute in february. now i can do 40+ and i havent worked them that much. i think it's just the combination of running so much, and having a cleaner diet.

You work them with every step. Running truely is an entire body workout

In high school we had to do timed mile running and if I remember correctly I did it a little over 6 minutes... I'm sure if I tried that now I wouldn't be anywhere close. At that point in time I used to do some serious running and I had always been naturally good at distance sprinting stuff.

Guest FooFooMaru

I ran 2 miles monday, did stairs/worked out tuesday, weds run 2 miles, thurs stairs/'worked out

stairs is running up 600+

Stretching is really nice to do. Research different stretches and make sure you're not doing them incorrectly, it'll matter. Do sit-ups at morning and night. Do some workout in morning to get metabolism going and EAT RIGHT. Protein (peanuts, beef jerkey, chicken and fish) Bust out fruits and drink water alllllllll the time when you're not eating a meal and have skim milk with meal? That's what I'm doing and occasionally (once a month) have fast food :( today was that day and i'm doing really well.

Good luck :D :D :D

I've been experimenting with different stretches. Our PT instructor is X special forces, he shows us some good shit.

I know plenty about diet and nutrition, i feel i'm eating the right foods. i drink approximately 80 ounces of water a day.

my appetite has sky rocketed though since i've been running so much. it always goes up when i'm working out, but i havent been lifting heavily for about 4 months. i wanted to wait untill i could complete the run before i started a lifting regimine.

Stretching is very key. you should hold each stretch for a minimum of 15 seconds (real seconds not you counting fast cause it hurts) If you didn't warm up 1st then hold the stretch for 20-15 seconds. When i say stretch I'm thinkin of at least 30 counts to 15 and thats simply a minimum.

Shins if your shins are hurting you the main thing that comes to mind is your form. make sure you are heel toe running not landing flat on your foot or even worse on your toes. also when you are finished running walk backwards for about a 1/4 mile as a cool down this will really help out your body.

Breathing technique is important also deep breaths are not necessary but rythm and consistancy is important. In through your nose out through your mouth.

Learn to tell you body to shut up, you'd be suprised at how long you can keep a pace when you are determined to. Given you time constraint you need to run consistent 1:59 laps in order to meet your goal. Personally I would go to a track with a watch and run 2 minute laps, over and over again until i am so tired that i'm sprinting to make that last 2 min. lap. Once you teach your body to run at that pace it'll be a lot harder to fall behind.

remember keep you back straight and your weight on top of your body (not leaning forward) relax your hands ( don't make a fist ) pump your arms (cheek to cheek is an exageration but a good starting place for training) and find a rhythm.

Good luck man

Your not giving your body time to rest. Do sprints on the even days and endurance (till near failure) on the odds. Keep your body plenished (vitamins,plenty of skim milk, protein bars). Ease up if it hurts. Its your bodies way of telling you your doing something wrong.

STRETCH, STRETCH, STRETCH. 15-20 minutes before and ATLEAST 20-30 minutes after any good run. When you stretch, DO NOT bounce. Lots of Bengay on the sore muscles and joints, just keep it off your sac (don't ask me how I know.....)

sounds good to me.....my track season this year was a wash because i didnt let up and both my shins got stress fractures.....

Guest FrancesTheMute
I run 14:00 2 miles. The way I got used to it...basic training. They just ran us ragged every day. My advice, just keeping running every day. I've never been a big fan of running though, so my advice sucks.

Streching is for the most part pointless (its one of those odd theories that doesnt apply so much to modern day athletic science), and its been proven use google (you dont see lance armstrong streching his legs out before a race, you see him on a bike turning the pedals over to warm them up, he dosent strech!). Just do a short warm up jog or some sort of warm up excersizes for the muslces your going to use, so they are not in shock when full load is placed upon them. Also Im not sure why every one thinks streching is so crucial...Last time i checked streching never helped my endurence, or speed for that matter. Make note i have done two miles in 10:58 which is nothing to brag about, and never did i stretch for any of it ;) Every one has differnt muscle make ups so you may be more fast twich then slow...Theres a lot of factors.

I do tri-athealons so i know some stuff, and your best bet is to vary your training (repetition is good to a point). Do one mile one day as fast as you can go, something like two miles the next at a steady pace, rest, repeat. Also take caffiene pre workouts, it will help WAY more then it will hinder.;) And finally SUFFER, you can olny push to threshold, but I am sure you have not done this, because you have not collasped, which is a miserable feeling, being it has bappened to me. keep pushing and good luck.

Guest bigb
Ok so there are tons of different people saying different things. I run about 8 minute miles right now. I can only run about 8 miles a week though b/c I get really, really bad shin splints. I even went and got some new really nice running shoes...started running on a dirt path rather than my subdivision...shin splints were still there. Try some icy hot on your shins after running and STRETCHING. Keep your legs elevated and rested. On my off days I do the elliptical (I don't know it that's spelled right, sorry). I usually do about 4 to 5 miles on that at level 10 or 11. This way my endurance doesn't go down and I give my shins a rest. But the most important thing is mind over matter. Keep telling yourself you'll make your times and u will. I don't know if this will help, but this is what I do (and I just started back seriously working out 2 months ago after grad school, miscarriage, divorce, u name it). If this old lady can do it so can a 21 year old.

Guest chpmnsws6
Streching is for the most part pointless (its one of those odd theories that doesnt apply so much to modern day athletic science), and its been proven use google (you dont see lance armstrong streching his legs out before a race, you see him on a bike turning the pedals over to warm them up, he dosent strech!). Just do a short warm up jog or some sort of warm up excersizes for the muslces your going to use, so they are not in shock when full load is placed upon them. Also Im not sure why every one thinks streching is so crucial...Last time i checked streching never helped my endurence, or speed for that matter. Make note i have done two miles in 10:58 which is nothing to brag about, and never did i stretch for any of it ;) Every one has differnt muscle make ups so you may be more fast twich then slow...Theres a lot of factors.

I do tri-athealons so i know some stuff, and your best bet is to vary your training (repetition is good to a point). Do one mile one day as fast as you can go, something like two miles the next at a steady pace, rest, repeat. Also take caffiene pre workouts, it will help WAY more then it will hinder.;) And finally SUFFER, you can olny push to threshold, but I am sure you have not done this, because you have not collasped, which is a miserable feeling, being it has bappened to me. keep pushing and good luck.

Although I do not agree with the non stretching, pushing to the threshold SUCKS. Collapsing is not fun, and you hurt for days after you do it (i've also done this in the middle of summer). But then again, even at a near sprint, I don't see one collapsing. I did it on the 6-7th mile

Ok so there are tons of different people saying different things. I run about 8 minute miles right now. I can only run about 8 miles a week though b/c I get really, really bad shin splints. I even went and got some new really nice running shoes...started running on a dirt path rather than my subdivision...shin splints were still there. Try some icy hot on your shins after running and STRETCHING. Keep your legs elevated and rested. On my off days I do the elliptical (I don't know it that's spelled right, sorry). I usually do about 4 to 5 miles on that at level 10 or 11. This way my endurance doesn't go down and I give my shins a rest. But the most important thing is mind over matter. Keep telling yourself you'll make your times and u will. I don't know if this will help, but this is what I do (and I just started back seriously working out 2 months ago after grad school, miscarriage, divorce, u name it). If this old lady can do it so can a 21 year old.

i think my drive and determination is whats helped me the most thus far. as i said earlier, it's starting to get closer to test time.. and i'm getting more anxious/worried. i just need to keep pushing, bottom line.

i have pt 3 days a week before the academy starts. it's always held at 8am.

it has been cold and the ground has been covered with dew. this has been playing games with my asthma/allergies. it's completely messing up my breathing.

i can go run on a tredmill for 14 minutes and feel awesome afterward. i run a mile outside and i feel like shit. i wheeze for a couple hours after, and i just feel like crap.

unfortunately, my pt test is held outside, and it'll probably be in the morning. my dilema is this.

when i run on my own, it's always on a tredmill, and it's easier to push myself. when i run outside, it's more difficult(for various reasons, mainly my asthma and allergies)

who thinks i should just run outside and forget the tredmill alltogether? it has been easier running for longer periods of time/distances on the tredmill, vs outside. i should probably stop setting myself up for failure and just run outside. who all agrees with this?

TIA