New Toys

desperado

Well, since I have a new house, I figured it was time for a new toy,,, and ended up with 3 new toys, for less than $2000 total for the three. First was a trailer, I have been watching for a good car hauler for a while now and nothing has shown up that was reasonably priced. I finally found a 24 foot enclosed trailer sitting in a guys yard for $150. No I ain't missing a zero. I hagle a bit and get it for $125, then the fun begins. I have NOTHING to pull this big bitch with. So a call to a buddy about his dad's dually pays off, I end up with an 89 Chevy 1 ton, crew cab dually that is a conversion (like a conversion van). All velor interior, power windows and locks, stainless running boards, windshield visor, aluminium wheels and all the other trimmings. Of course it's a 454 with a 400 Turbo behind it, making it fairly powerful but a gas hungry ride to be sure. That set me back $1000. It's got a couple rust holes in the rear passenger door and the rockers have to be replaced, but it's not bad over all. My buddy also mentions that he has an 89 F-150 with the inline 300 6 and a 4 speed. It has a bad caliper and is a bit rusty and had some sheetmetal replaced that didn't color match, but was in good shape, $400. I went to see it, drove it, and bought it to, I figure a brake job and some paint and it will either be a daily, or I will sell it for a profit and get something else. This has all gone down in the last two weeks so needless to say I been busy with getting stupid shit like brake lines on the dually and figuring out how to setup the trailer. It was an office trailer that was gutted and used for storage so all the wood is rotted, and the sides and top are shit, but I can't complain for $125 price that it cost me. I am planning to dove tail it, and lower it about 12 inches (the deck is at 30 inches currently) that and I will need to put a new deck on it, but I scored a freight trailer to strip the decking (oak tonge and groove) and the cross members out of to build the trailer.

I also have found a 6BT Cummins diesel to go into the dually. It's an industrial motor (but is the same phyical design and size as the Cummins in the 3/4 and 1 ton Dodge pickups (12 valve those that are in the know) The motor is currently sitting in the frame old a SISU yard dog (little truck used at warehouses to move trailers) but has no transmission (was an Allison automatic) I am going to be looking for an NV4500 or 4600 trannie and the bellhousing to put it behind the 6BT and setting it all in the dually. I figure that 300 HP and 700 Lb Ft of torque will move the big dually just fine and get 25 MPG doing it, as long as I stay out of the throttle that is.

soudns like a lot of work. So what are you hauling around in the trailer?

Gonna haul the cinder blocks to prop it all up on..... :finger:

Actually, I have been wanting a car trailer for a long time, and for the price I couldn't pass it up. I will just use it for ahuling the car to the track occasionally once it's built, but mostly to go get lumber and stuff for the house.

personally when it comes to the trailer I would resale it and make some good money on it.

I considered that, with both the dually and the trailer, but its' too handy to have, and I can't bring myself to get rid of the dually. I have wanted one since I started driving, I had a single cab with a utility bed once, but this is WAY nice as far as the interior being a custom conversion. And having the 6BT found and ready to pull, other than needing rebuilt (has some blowby but still runs strong) I don't know of a reason to get rid of it. Hell, the 454 in it now will put a 30 foot set of marks on the pavement (but drinks a gallon of gas doing it) so I have a home for that once the diesel is rebuilt and installed. As far as the trailer, I am thinking because of it being so long, that I am going to cut the tounge off it and make it a goose neck. The truck is setup for the gooseneck anyhow, and the only thing I am going to need is the neck ($100 at TSC) and a set of dolly legs that I will score from work. I don't know that even getting $2000 for the trailer would be worth it. And when it's done it will still be able to haul two cars and have a much higher weight capacity than a normal car hauler.