Some bike questions

Ryan

I lowered my bike so that I can ride it. I'm a beginner rider and I am a 5'4" 120lb girl, so I got it lowered so I could touch and feel more comfortable on it. So I was looking at fender eliminator kits, I found a mount to mount the plate on the side of the bike on the swing arm. I was told that it was illegal to put the plate there, is that true? If it is illegal, have people that have plates like that had problems with the police? I wanted to put the plate under the seat like some people, but I don't think the plate would fit under with it being lowered and all. Does anyone have any knowledge about this? Oh my bike is an '07 Ninja 600 and I think it was lowered about 2.5 inches or 3 maybe. The bottom of the body under where I sit is about an inch from the ground, if that gives any one an idea of how low it is.

Thanks,

Ryan

I lowered my bike so that I can ride it. I'm a beginner rider and I am a 5'4" 120lb girl, so I got it lowered so I could touch and feel more comfortable on it. So I was looking at fender eliminator kits, I found a mount to mount the plate on the side of the bike on the swing arm. I was told that it was illegal to put the plate there, is that true? If it is illegal, have people that have plates like that had problems with the police? I wanted to put the plate under the seat like some people, but I don't think the plate would fit under with it being lowered and all. Does anyone have any knowledge about this? Oh my bike is an '07 Ninja 600 and I think it was lowered about 2.5 inches or 3 maybe. The bottom of the body under where I sit is about an inch from the ground, if that gives any one an idea of how low it is.

Thanks,

Ryan

greetings follow Westervillan.

you will see swingarm mounted plates all day. the only thing im unsure of is if it MUST be lighted. and if so that can be done.

post pics

greetings follow Westervillan.

you will see swingarm mounted plates all day. the only thing im unsure of is if it MUST be lighted. and if so that can be done.

as for lighting

search ebay for "Motorcycle LED License"

you can get bolt lights, like so

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Universal-Motorcycle-LED-license-Plate-Light-Bolt_W0QQitemZ360073440722QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item360073440722&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C65%3A1&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245.l1318

in the state of ohio it is not legal to put the plate there. I got 2 warnings for it. It has to be visable from BOTH sides of the bike. Why did you lower it that much? U should just be able to tip toe on it and you will be fine. Also you can mod the seat so it is thinner.

in the state of ohio it is not legal to put the plate there. I got 2 warnings for it. It has to be visable from BOTH sides of the bike. Why did you lower it that much? U should just be able to tip toe on it and you will be fine. Also you can mod the seat so it is thinner.

yeah one inch off the ground? dont go over ANY speedbumps.

and youll hear alot of scrapes while riding.

I haven't heard any scrapes yet, only when my boyfriend was riding it. Although I haven't had to go over any speedbumps yet, it's ok if it scrapes I don't mind I've scraped my car before many times.

I lowered it that much because I have never ridden a bike before and didn't want to be on tip toes. I have had a hard enough time moving it around with being able to put my feet down. I have already dropped it when I put my feet down on some gravel and my foot slipped and I forgot to put the kickstand down too. It was a sad day that day.

my ex was 4'10" and rode an 05 ninja 500. corbin seat that was rediculously lower and thinner and dropped 2" front and back. I could only take a 90* corner at like 16mph or the lean would scrape frame (belly plastics removed btw) She rode it ok mostly. one of her first times out she put it down hard and never had the guts to really take a corner again tho... oh and she didnt compress the suspension so it was scarey for her at high speeds. So yeah, all and all I'd say it was all just a bad idea.

Oh and I'll suggest for females... Icon makes a nice heeled boot that my ex loved for riding, may want to check those out.

you might wanna raise the bike up as much as possible, it really messes with the handling of the bike, you can shave the seat, and sit one, sometimes even two inches lower! and like cougar said, get boots with some heels, there is a girl on gixxer.com who has some heels she straps to her sidi's, she gained like an inch and a half or something

I'm with the others on this one...you should try to raise the bike up as much as you can. Tip-toeing or using only one foot at stops is not fun but it is better than going down like Cougar described. Maybe you can borrow a lower bike to get more comfortable riding first? Supersports aren't really the best beginner bikes anyways..

Apparently the bike was lowered 2 inches. I'm not really concerned with it handling really well right now, I'm not a crazy turning person, I don't even like turning fast right now. Thanks for all the advice from everyone.

Go to walmart and buy them for 4.96 or Auto Zone and buy the LED light for i thing 10

i haven't had a plate mount since i've had the bike and never ever gotten a warning.

why are you going to set your bike up for when you have your feet on the ground when its 1% of the TOTAL time your going to be riding it, hopefully your feet are on the pegs when you ride...

something i always say to people about lowering their bikes...but if you don't care and just want to learn then thats OK! but once you get more acclimated make sure you start raising that bike back up as much as you can.

unless you wanna be like ninjanick and 2insanezx10r and be squidly posers :lol:

It changes the geometry of the suspension... which drastically changes the way the bike goes into a corner. Once you get more comfortable with turning, hop on Jon's bike and I can guarantee you will feel a difference. Like Woa

Thing is with Jons bike is that my feet don't touch the ground at all. I'm not kidding I can't even get the bike off the kickstand it is to tall for me.

It's sad I must have the shortest legs in the world.

haha...

midget.jpg

this little dood has you beat. Well, youre gonna have to learn how to do the ass slide trick and hang off to one side. Youre not much shorter than I am. Its no biggie tho, your bike will handle fine for what you need right now.