Does anyone run at Mid-Ohio?

Stampede

That's a pretty broad question, you wanting to road race I assume? Just looking for some hot lapping or time trialing?? http://www.midohio.com is their site

NASA and SCCA have some nice programs that aren't very expensive to learn how to road race, you can at least get some track time with an instructor if thats what all looking for.

I've always wondered how I could get to drive the track without paying a shitload for one of their courses or basically without paying much money at all. Nate was trying to explain the lapping days to me, but I found out those cost a lot, too.

Car clubs such as audi, bmw and so on have track days annually. Something like 300 bucks run what you brung for the last time i went up for the audi club. Spots fill up fast tho. And it was a 2 day event. Beginners do one day of auto-xing and other drills (still fun) and the second i believe there were like 3 30 min lapping sessions and you were allowed to ride in other cars while they were running.

A weekend at a road course is $1000 in my eyes. When I've gone to Beaver Run and then Mid-Ohio with the BMW club. Both had instructors and they were about $300+ each for the weekend. My other $600 is in parts. Basically you are going to need new rotors and pads. And if you run street tires on a road course, there is a very good chance you'll be replacing those too. I was able to get through both weekends on the same tires, Dunlop FM 901 sports. Not the best tire either, but it did well for me. Let's not forget gas, at least 94 octain, I would have to think everyone would run that. Nelson Ledges sounds like the way to go right now. I think they have open track day once a month for like $175. Not sure on that though.

Stempede. Nelson's a good time and at $120 it's a steal for track time...but don't expect Mid-Ohio type facilities. None the less it's a great way to get out and learn your car.

The drawback to the Nelson days is lack of instruction...this is a big negative for beginners. I have seen instructors out there for 1 on 1 sessions though...and if you ask around there are usually several racers there that might be willing to jump in a car with you for a session to help out as well. But I've seen first hand and heard several horror stories of beinngers getting in over their head and crashing due to simple mistakes or simply over driving...situations that *should* be avoided with quality instruction.

Andy

Guest vee21
I really don't think that I would recommend Nelson Ledges to a beginner. It is significantly less safe than tracks like Mid-Ohio. Little run off, no sand pits and high track speeds could easily equal a crushed car. If you are new to racing spend the money to go to a good track with instructors. Once you learn the ins and outs of track driving then try track time at Nelson or Gratten (I think they only charge around $200 for a day). Or you can take the route of purchasing a dedicated race car and running with the SCCA or NASA.

The Nelson fun days are not for beginners for sure. As stated there is little instruction and pretty much a free for all, it's simply a fun day, and not a track school. Though I'm sure they offer something of the sort.

Stempede: Norther Ohio Porsche Club has a novice day at Nelson August 11. It's stupid cheap (<$200) if I remember correctly, instruction for the whole day, out there with many other beginners AND if they run it like they did last year they will guarantee you a spot at their October Mid Ohio school to all of the participants in the Novice Day school.

Might be worth a try...it's always pretty empty and it's not porsche exclusive or anything. My wife did it last year in the M3 and had a blast and then we both did their Mid Ohio school in October...NOR PCA is a great group of people.

http://www.norpca.org

Andy