Norwalk, it WAS a good track....

Akula

This weekend's national event at Norwalk will be the last IHRA National Event. Next year it will be NHRA, the only move that makes sense for that is to move the Spring Natls from Columbus to Norwalk. NHRA has the unique ability to ruin a perfectly good track for the fans and racers (not the corporate sponsors). I would look for Norwalk to go downhill quick, forget about the pound of icecream for a dollar next year.

I have raced at Norwalk for a while, I still know many people that run IHRA and run at Norwalk. We know that NHRA is seriously beating the bushes for sponsors for a national event there. John Force LOVES that track and his recent success with A&E that puts his mug in front of a non-ESPN camera means he has loads of pull. Force cannot stand Trails and probably has been telling NHRA to remove that race for years.

Yep, I had a long talk about this with some important people up there. Don't look for much to change, NHRA has been trying to woo Norwalk for years and Norwalk is only changing to get the bigger events. I fucking hate the NHRA, but don't look for Norwalk to lose its luster. As long as the Bader's are at the helm, Norwalk will still be great.

When NHRA isn't present the track is run by the owner. Whatever the cost is determined by the ownership (Bill Bader). But when NHRA is there, it is a totally different deal, NHRA runs the track. Prep (which they suck at), running order, price, all of that.

When they took over Trails they did things like, taking out drinking fountains so they could charge for water. I don't think the Bader crew will be able to fix NHRA, during Natls the track will blow. The rest of the year we hope it will be fine.

I disagree. They have been running the same class of cars up there for years and no one has gotten hurt. I love being that close to the cars, nothing like being right next to Force when he gets on it.

There are a few stipulations from both sides, and as far as I'm aware there is nothing set in stone as of yet. Norwalk has to commit to asphalt the entire pit area, and Night Under Fire will be a thing of the past as far as I understand it. Seeing as the combined NUF, and IHRA World Nationals crowds probably gross more $$$ than an NHRA National Event I don't know what the true motive for changing sanctioning bodies would be. It's not like this is the first time that this move has been tossed around the rumor mill. It's a tricky situation because not only is NRP an IHRA track, but it is home to the IHRA Corporate offices. I hope things do not change.

Guest Removed
This weekend's national event at Norwalk will be the last IHRA National Event. Next year it will be NHRA, the only move that makes sense for that is to move the Spring Natls from Columbus to Norwalk. NHRA has the unique ability to ruin a perfectly good track for the fans and racers (not the corporate sponsors). I would look for Norwalk to go downhill quick, forget about the pound of icecream for a dollar next year.

Its in the rules why most dont like NHRA vs IHRA. Norwalk will still be owned by the same people, and still have that famous "Hook". And hopefully the rumors are true about his daughter buyying marion, and reforming it. And marion does hook(when its prepped right) but the track itself is hit.

The pit at Norwalk is much bigger than Trails. It covers both sides of the track, you probably have never been there for an IHRA divisional event or a National Event when they have both turn-offs open.

Its in the rules why most dont like NHRA vs IHRA. Norwalk will still be owned by the same people, and still have that famous "Hook". And hopefully the rumors are true about his daughter buyying marion, and reforming it. And marion does hook(when its prepped right) but the track itself is hit.

Me nate and tinman were at Marion about a month ago, they did absolutely no prep at all

60's were shitty at 2.5

when the sun was up and the track was warm it was biting decently, but as soon as that sun dropped the track cooled down, and in a matter of 15 minutes cars went from decently hooking to uncontrollable spinning

I would just like to inform everyone that Norwalk Raceway Park is going to announce on this comming Tuesday that it will partner with NHRA.

This is huge news here in Ohio! Rumor has it also that they may host some big events in the year 2007. So stay tuned this week on this information...

Dan

I went to IHRA World Nationals yesterday, there were plenty of NHRA racers there, Hillary Will, JR Todd etc... Mostly testing for Indy but they all said they loved the track. Track prep was AMAZING, things you will never see at trails. Two Jets (track dryers), two tractors with drag bars and sweepsters, the use of ROSIN and VHT, basic maintenance after each class and someone checking the track after each run. The track hooked very well, Hillary said it was some of the best times she has ever laid down.

Tuesday they will make the announcement about NHRA's plans. The Spring Nationals (or whatever they are called) is NO LONGER at National Trails, they have officially lost the event.