Do you have a cutout???

V8 Beast

I was wondering how many people on here have cutouts? And how many of you have received tickets for having them open?

by the way...

I was doing some math. If you consider WHP gain divided by money spent, its one of the best mods one can do. People spend up to $1000 on catbacks to gain maybe 7-15whp. Over a factory muffler you can gain over 30whp on a mod that is less than $50!!! That could equal less than $2 per hp gain.

i've used one for years - but mainly for noise and playing around

i tend to put the biggest, quietest mufflers i can on my car...and then use the cutouts when i want it loud

(best of both worlds - V8's are no fun when they're rattling your brain apart on a 2 hour highway drive)

many friends have done dyno tests

and more often than not, the cutout actually hurt peak HP

sometimes, the resistance and backpressure help your engine so much that it helps performance

buy them from DMH if you're going to get them - he has superior service (replacement) and is a great guy to boot

but don't buy them for HP gains - you'll be disappointed

(my last car lost HP with it in use)

I used to have it on my camaro with an electric cutout so I could close it if need be.... I've since gone to true duals and by far love the sound much more than with the cutout. Most cops don't mess with me because I don't really romp on it and my car doesn't sound like an import... it is deffinately a great cheap HP gaining tool!

no issue with cops...with the electric one (as long as you don't turn it on downtown)

but if it's a newer car that has to go through emissions checks, safety checks or something - i believe they're technically illegal for street use

should cost you $40 to have the Y-pipe installed (per side)

Y pipe is 30 or 40

the cutout per side is around $150 (depends on size and brand)

DMH is good quality, but there are cheaper

DMH offers the best warranty out there, and he doesn't ask how you broke it, if you did

<---personal experience when i hit a tree stump

Guest FooFooMaru
10 bucks from anthony

20 bucks for tinman to put it on my car

so pretty cheap for me, and i think it hurts low end torque doesn't it, not top end hp

I hate you....

:lol: I hope some deal like that comes to me, and I hope me and tinman can talk sometime haha.

Miller, general rule, the least amount of back pressure after the turbo the better, but you also have to keep in mind the exhaust velocity exiting the turbo, usually a larger downpipe is better, but there are negative side effects of goin too large

run a proper size exhaust for maximum flow with a straight through muffler and run the cutout some where after the downpipe before the muffler, that is where i think it would do the best benifit, though im sure there are others on here with more experience with the cutouts