Unnamed cave in ohio

Science Abuse

The aproach

You realy can't see this unless you're right on top of it.

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/7836/panocave1rk0.jpg

It continues on for at least one more frame to the right.

Some curious features:

The rockfall at the bottom has not been crawled over by children for 5 decades like Ash cave, the shapes that natural erosion give it are simply twisted.

Seen next to the group

What looked like a coal vein. This is, to me, evidence that this is relatively unknown. No coal vein goes unexploited in southern ohio.

Odd formations of the sedimentary rock. You dont get to see natural stuff like this anywhere that has people traffic. People like to touch and walk on things, it realy wears on this soft rock.

rock1

rock2

Is this in the hocking hills? old mans cave area? If so this is not far away, we could organize a cruise down there, it would be a blast. Put it this way, the whole time I was driving off the main road (33) my mantra was, "I wish I had my bike" over and over again. The twisties there are pretty damn close to the definition of twisties.

Rock House?? I've seen it before. It's pretty cool. There is also a cut through in the rock somewhere along that trail. My fav is still Conkles Hollow upper trail.

If anyone needs a hookup for a decent cabin, I work with a guy that has three or four that he rents out.

I know of several caves between Athens and Veto ohio that probably see less than a hand full of people in 10 years time. The overgrowth is so severe that last time I tried to go through there on foot it was nearly impossible in the time I had. Very nice find though. BTW for some reason the USGS maps don't show 99% of all slopes correctly around southern/southeastern Ohio. Wish they did it would make 4x4 trail riding much easier. I guess it could be easily explained if you watch the amount of land slipping that occurs naturally in the forests. Not sure exactly how much of southeastern ohio was mined but from the reclaimation website it looks like just about 90% of it was reshaped by coal companies before our grand parents time. Then in the `70's the reclaimation act stopped most of that type of thing in ohio. I don't know much about southern ohio. care to give me more info even GPS coords in PM? I'm very interested in these sites in ohio.

Evan

Speaking of caves. Last Saturday I was heading up 23N just north of the South Bloomfield/Ashville area in Pickaway county. I looked over head and saw a swarm of what had to be 100,000 bats. Is this an indicator of a cave nearby? Possibly some other home? Or did the bats travel a very long way? It was around 7:30pm and just starting to get dim outside.