What constitutes a good driver?

pg

Thought troublemaker on here, will tell you I have drivin in the berm passing people in the rain. Funny story he can finish...

So we are merging from 670 East to 670 East where it connects with traffic from 71 South/North by Columbus State. For those of you familiar with this area, there are two lanes before you merge. We are in the left one of the 670 traffic. We get to where the two traffics connect and go left one lane. As we are merging, a guy cuts us off, so Joe gets over to the left one more lane. Keep in mind this is the left-most lane. The guy cuts us off again, so Joe gets over another lane (he's in the berm now), as calm and normal as can be, just keeps driving. I'm assuming that he's doing it on purpose. As a side note, when I'm riding in a car I almost never say anything or react in an abnormal way to any driving. I find when I'm driving fast, the last thing I want is a passenger freaking out or nagging me, it can be a little distracting. So I usually never say anything or react to how people drive. I don’t immediately say ‘What in the fuck are you doing in the berm?’ After a bit I start to wonder if Joe knows he's over in the berm. So I say something about it and he says something like "Oh I didn't realize that, I thought it was a lane. I better get past this guy and get back over into a lane". If you're that 300zx we passed along with that other car, Joe says he's sorry.

"The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the search bar above."

I am at work, and I don't have time to dick with spell check.

BTW, Joe, the main reason Ryan started this thread is that a few weeks ago I stated my opinion that women are worse drivers than men.

Which then started her not so scientific quest to learn the truth :)

BTW, Joe, the main reason Ryan started this thread is that a few weeks ago I stated my opinion that women are worse drivers than men.

Which then started her not so scientific quest to learn the truth :)

I called that one as soon as I started reading this thread. :)

Wo Wo Wo. I didn't realize this was THAT Ryan. I never have seen her post. I say she starts another thread about the whole male female thing and might as well get it going in the kitchen. Where Ryan belongs. Because we all know she wrecks cars.

Low blow.

Honestly I have been in 3 accidents.

1) not at fault. Was sitting on a road close to easton at a red light. There was 5 cars in front of me stopped. A woman rear ends me and pushes me into the lady in front of me. My car is almost totaled and I damage the person in front of me. I got out of the car and the woman was on a cell phone and rolled her window up, locked her door, and wouldn't talk to me. Wouldn't even hang up on the cell phone. I was ready to strangle her. My younger sister was sitting in the car next to me. She had to be taken to the hospital...

2) not sure wasn't reported to anyone. I was driving home on high street close to henderson in the left lane. Its raining real bad and I am going 35. A lady in a mini in the right lane ahead of me decides at the last minute to get into the left only turn lane next to me. She gave me no room and I locked up my brakes (no abs in a 91 ) and slide into her. No damage and we didn't call the cops

3) At fault on my way to work intersection of hayden rd and frantz road at a red light light. The SUV in front of me turns right on red because there is no traffic i think. I can't remember. Anyway I look to my left and there is no traffic so I go without looking to my right side. Then a second later my hood is under the SUV's bumper. It was my fault. And my hood was badly damaged. Nothing wrong with the SUV. The guy said he went then decided to stop. So I rear ended him on Frantz road.

Qualities of a Good Driver

Are you a good driver? Studies have shown that most drivers believe themselves to be better and

safer than the average driver. Unfortunately in about 90% - 95% of accidents, human error is

considered to be the main cause, so we can't all be right in assuming we are better than everyone

else.

What sort of qualities would a good driver have? Apart from skilful use of vehicle controls and

accurate road positioning, you will probably find a good driver has concern for their own safety,

their passengers as well as all other road users. This concern is demonstrated by applying

complete concentration to the driving task, by accurate observation and anticipation skills, as well

as actively minimising risk by creating time and space.

Having quick reactions does not necessarily make you a good driver. In theory younger drivers

should have faster reactions than older drivers, but yet they tend to be involved in more accidents.

Being able to recognise hazards early, anticipating the likely outcomes and putting in place a plan

to deal with them will have a greater influence on your accident potential than your response

times. If fact it is sometimes said that drivers with quick reactions use them to get out of

situations, that they should never have been in, in the first place.

Our ability to detect hazards and manage them effectively is like many other skills in that they

develop over time. Appropriate training of course can accelerate this learning process, but our

attitude to safety issues is also a major factor. For example, our attitude towards other road users,

our use of speed and risk taking can have an influence on our likelihood of being involved in a

crash.

What is your attitude to these things? Do you drive with consideration for all other road users or

do you get annoyed/stressed when someone interrupts your progress? Do you give out when you

see other drivers make mistakes, or do you accept that you probably have made a similar mistake

yourself in the past?

The speed that you drive at is one of the most important factors in determining your likelihood of

being involved in an accident. This is because the faster you go, the less time you will have to

respond to a hazard. If you are involved in a crash, the consequences are also likely to be

greater. Do you feel that it is acceptable to exceed that speed limit provided it is safe and there is

not much traffic around? It is important to remember that you choose the speed at which you

drive.

When it comes to risk, you cannot eliminate risk from driving, but you can reduce it.

Unfortunately some attitudes predispose you to risk; these include disregarding personal safety by

trying to impress others, enjoying the thrill of danger or overestimating your driving ability.

Justifying taking risks because they are taken in a noble cause is also a serious problem,

particularly for the emergency services. 'Red mist' is a term used to describe this very situation

and it occurs because the driver is determined to achieve some objective such as overtaking the

car in front or getting to their destination in the shortest possible time. This leads to a problem of

no longer being capable of realistically assessing the driving risks because you are focused on

some other goal. Recognising that this is happening is the first step to dealing with it.

Concentrating on your driving by using commentary, avoid personalising the situation or thinking

about what is currently happening at your destination are some strategies for coping with this.

Over the next week think about your attitude towards other road users, speed and risk taking. Are

you happy with your attitude? Is there anything you would like to change?

Weekly safety advice courtesy Mike Kavanagh, Irish Advanced Motorists (056 7771778)

I need to find their other article where it says women suck at the driving...

"The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the search bar above."

I think he meant to say "correlative," implying a correlation, though I'm not sure if "correlative" is actually a word. Instead, I would have suggested the use of the word "correlational" as opposed to "correlative." Yet, I would also be remiss if I didn't point out that the phrase "correlational facts" is somewhat oxymoronic, since, from a technical standpoint, a correlation does not imply causation, and, thus, cannot be a "fact," but merely some degree of relation.

Sorry for the intrusion. And, on behalf of Howard, if "correlative" is not actually a word, then he apologies for the neologism. Or, maybe he'll just tell all of you to fuck off.

I think he meant to say "correlative," implying a correlation, though I'm not sure if "correlative" is actually a word. Instead, I would have suggested the use of the word "correlational" as opposed to "correlative." Yet, I would also be remiss if I didn't point out that the phrase "correlational facts" is somewhat oxymoronic, since, from a technical standpoint, a correlation does not imply causation, and, thus, cannot be a "fact," but merely some degree of relation.

Sorry for the intrusion. And, on behalf of Howard, if "correlative" is not actually a word, then he apologies for the neologism. Or, maybe he'll just tell all of you to fuck off.

"correlative - expressing a reciprocal or complementary relation"

I will sex crime you.

What do you think makes a good driver? I am talking about everyday driving not like shifting fast or a good 60' time. I am looking for things that are quantitative.

I think things like:

using turn signal

not tailgaiting(unless justified buy annoyingly slow driver)

driving speed limit

not driving in the left lane when not passing

What do you think?

Dear Ms. P,

I feel that to be a good driver, you must have been born with a penis.

Thanks so much,

-Marc

I had that same thing happen to me about two years back. Thankfully as I just barely was going, but then when you hit a stopped car even at 3-5mph and don't expect it, you crap your pants. did nothing but put my license plate screws into the bumper of his beater...he was like 20 and on his way to work and said he didn't care...more my loss as I had a really nice car. no damage outside a very slight crack in the clearcoat on my nose. car was sold and the new owner never even noticed.

Honestly I have been in 3 accidents.

3) At fault on my way to work intersection of hayden rd and frantz road at a red light light. The SUV in front of me turns right on red because there is no traffic i think. I can't remember. Anyway I look to my left and there is no traffic so I go without looking to my right side. Then a second later my hood is under the SUV's bumper. It was my fault. And my hood was badly damaged. Nothing wrong with the SUV. The guy said he went then decided to stop. So I rear ended him on Frantz road.

Maybe a 'bad driver' isn't one that simply pisses you off, maybe it's one that actually breaks the law? You can argue about annoying drivers all day but in honesty everyone has been both annoyed and annoying at various times in their life. How about measuring the times a law or other very commonly accepted convention (like talking on a cellphone) is broken.

Difficulty: If they are tailgating they have to hit you to quantify it...