What is a "Bivy"? (who uses 56k?)

Science Abuse

Working the cracks, eh? Do they call those little anchors "chocks"? I've done a little rock climbing (no ropes) years ago, and rappelled a little in the Army, but that looks like a rush. Even climbing 100-200 foot rock walls was cool, but that looks awesome!

Maybe in the thirties. :) I think you're thinking of stoppers, aka nuts, etc. Those guys are using Cams/Camalots/Freinds. Also known as a zipper if they're placed poorly. :p
Cool, thanks!

I would assume the multiple anchors used in the pic are the norm, like a "main" and a "safety" perhaps. I guess the term "zipper" could be slightly humorous, until it happens to you and you're praying your backup holds...

As a kid, I read a National Geographic article about a climbing team taking on Half Dome using just stoppers, no pitons at all. I was given the impression that this was not 'standard procedure' at the time ('70s) The photography was incredible, of course, the Yosemite was the closest thing to heaven on earth.

Shoulda been a climber..,

Cool, thanks!

I would assume the multiple anchors used in the pic are the norm, like a "main" and a "safety" perhaps. I guess the term "zipper" could be slightly humorous, until it happens to you and you're praying your backup holds...

If you are talking about how they are in multiple spots up the wall, it's so if you fall, you don't fall to the ground.

that one guy is still tied up....pussy

haha...kidding aside, that would scare the fuck out of me...i dont fear heights, i fear falling from heights

If you are talking about the guy down on the rock, he's belaying the guy climbing (using his weight to counter balance the guy up top in case he starts to fall). Just assuming you've never climbed before and the reason you are calling him a pussy and it being funny is the fact that they are doing that at all. Because, well, they are pretty nuts.